Southampton 1-2 West Ham Utd (27/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Re: ⚽ Southampton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Phil S »

Doc H Ball wrote:
Anyway, the coach for me with plenty of festive spirits.
See you on coach one?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Phil S wrote:
See you on coach one?
Hi Phil. Hope I’m on coach 1 but I was recently relegated to coach 2 due to inconsistent performances.

See you on board mate.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2942 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

First you lose your lift
....then you lose your coach seat.......soon youll be doing sponsored walks to away games
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Four goals, either 3-1 to them or 2-2. This is a game that's just not possible for us to win, we could be 3-0 up in injury time and I wouldn't bet on us winning this one.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I always keep an eye out for Southampton, because, not so long ago, they were, in two ways, the kind of club that WHUFC wanted to emulate.

Firstly, when we came up, they dominated the fizz during that season (file Reading under 'where are they now?').

And, secondly, they'd managed, at least to a decent degree, to bring through a fair number of decent players. Obviously, the problem for any such club is the retention of the cream of their crop, for their own long-term team-building...

...actually, there's a third: even when we were larging it up with Payet, they actually stole our thunder by creeping into 6th.

So, by and large, they are 'rivals' for that niche group of teams that shouldn't get relegated and, once in a while, actually might have a season looked back on afterwards as 'vintage', at least comparatively speaking.

Surely the two squads on paper are not in fact so evenly matched this season? Yes, of course, we seem to always make strikers like Long and Austin seem better (even fitter?) than they actually are, but we should have enough to return home with a clean sheet displayed on the back window of the team bus.

We should, too, be able to mix it up a bit in terms of attack, if Perez is fit again, and maybe Diangana can get a start. As a trial for a 'cup side', in our forthcoming match, I am actually wondering whether Carroll could be used as a player off whom Perez could feed in the penalty area.

I would also rest up Zabaleta, with Antonio playing behind Diangana. Cresswell in at LB, behind Anderson. Ogbonna in for Balbuena.

That should be enough for 1-3 points.
DorsetSaint
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by DorsetSaint »

"That should be enough for 1-3 points"

Which (sadly for a Saints fan) is pretty much how I see it.
The silly response from some fans to a couple of wins annoys me because so much is still wrong at SFC.

We now have an owner who has nothing to put in the club.

The plus point for me is the new manager seems to care, trusts academy players enough to play them and can actually coach. Trust me, we stayed up last season DESPITE Mr Hughes, not because of him.

But, our playing staff are worse than the bunch who tried hard to take us down last year. We have bought very poorly, your spending makes ours look pathetic (never thought I'd say that) and our two strikers are taking it in turns to be injured.

Also Carroll is back for you so that'll be a scuffed goal off his shin and a header off the post, he always scores against us.

Mind you Austin actually broke into a run the other day though some say the sherry was being poured in hosptality and he got a whiff.

Regards Steve.

This new German bloke must surely be an improvement on Grandma Hughes, though?

Welcome to the site.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

DorsetSaint wrote:"That should be enough for 1-3 points"

Which (sadly for a Saints fan) is pretty much how I see it.
The silly response from some fans to a couple of wins annoys me because so much is still wrong at SFC.

We now have an owner who has nothing to put in the club.

The plus point for me is the new manager seems to care, trusts academy players enough to play them and can actually coach. Trust me, we stayed up last season DESPITE Mr Hughes, not because of him.

But, our playing staff are worse than the bunch who tried hard to take us down last year. We have bought very poorly, your spending makes ours look pathetic (never thought I'd say that) and our two strikers are taking it in turns to be injured.

Also Carroll is back for you so that'll be a scuffed goal off his shin and a header off the post, he always scores against us.

Mind you Austin actually broke into a run the other day though some say the sherry was being poured in hosptality and he got a whiff.

Regards Steve.
I've not come across a pessimistic Saints fan before. You sure you're not West Ham in disguise?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

prophet:marginal wrote:This new German bloke must surely be an improvement on Grandma Hughes, though?

Welcome to the site.
He's Austrian mate, known as the Klopp of the Alps, but I can understand the mistake
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Glad we didn’t emulate the bit where they went into admin and cheated a load of people out of money

I’m “mates” with a couple of their supporters - absolute muggy c**** who go quiet when it’s not going their way. Basically they’re Spurs to our Portsmouth

Always love turning this lot over

prophet:marginal wrote:This new German bloke must surely be an improvement on Grandma Hughes, though?

Welcome to the site.
Puff Daddy wrote:He's Austrian mate, known as the Klopp of the Alps, but I can understand the mistake

OK, ta

e17 wrote:Glad we didn’t emulate the bit where they went into admin and cheated a load of people out of money

I’m “mates” with a couple of their supporters - absolute muggy ***** who go quiet when it’s not going their way. Basically they’re Spurs to our Portsmouth

Always love turning this lot over
We avoided administration by being taken over by a pair of parasites, who then paid money to a political party.

So, yeah, glad we didn't cheat anyone out of money, but we're, ahem, hardly Saints, are we?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Fabianski, Diop, Ogbonna, Rice, Anderson play imo. The remainder of the places are up for grabs, though I would accommodate Obiang in this one.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I’d be tempted to go back to 5 across midfield. Look to stifle them and hit on the counter.

Beginning to understand that’s not the way Pellegrini thinks though
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I expect he'll go with 4-4-2, but I tend to agree.

We've somehow got to tighten up a bit whilst keeping goal scorers in the team.

TBF to Antonio, he's nabbed a couple in recent games, looked likely in others and has been much improved of late so probably deserves to start. I think Diangana often improves us as well. His movement is very good and much more in tune with Anderson than some others.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

This one will go down to which version of each team shows up on Thursday. Unless we play well, we're going to rely on them playing like they did under Hughes. I think a bit of shooting practice wouldn't go amiss between now and Thursday.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

hammer1975 wrote:I’d be tempted to go back to 5 across midfield. Look to stifle them and hit on the counter.
Bring back Moyes and Sam!
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Cresswell in for Arthur, Obiang in for Nobes. Ogbonna in for Balbuena if the General isn’t fit.

I’d play Zabs for this one, especially if Balbuena is out. He’ll have had 5 days to recover. Rest him for Burnley where he’d have less than 3 days recovery.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Clucking Bell wrote:This one will go down to which version of each team shows up on Thursday. Unless we play well, we're going to rely on them playing like they did under Hughes. I think a bit of shooting practice wouldn't go amiss between now and Thursday.
I agree, CB. With our injury list & their good, recent form & new manager, I can't call this one.
It's quite kind on our travelling fans, in a way, this not being on Boxing Day. Wolves fans have got to be at Fulham by 12:30 on Wednesday!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

In their last 6 Premier League games Southampton have - Won 2 , Drawn 1 , Lost 3

New Manager , Ralph Hasenhuttl has so far transformed a team that looked sure-fire relegation candidates into a team that put 3 past Arsenal and Huddersfield Town , - up until the Arsenal game Southampton had gone 14 matches without winning .

West Ham's last 6 matches have produced - Won 4 , Drawn 0 , Lost 2

Manuel Pellegrini doesn't seem to respect the point , under him we usually Win or Lose , in 18 games we have Drawn just 3 .

Southampton don't fall into the same category as a ' Brighton ' or a ' Watford ' , they're a team that like to play football when they can , we'll have to keep an eye on Ings and Austin with half an eye on Redmond , I think both teams will score .

The Head says ' Score Draw ' but The Voices keep whispering ' Win ' .

Always go with The Voices -

Southampton 2 West Ham United 3 .