FAC4: AFC Wimbledon 4-2 West Ham Utd (26/01/19)

An archive of match day threads originally posted in the General Discussion forum.

Moderator: Gnome

e17

Re: ⚽ AFC Wimbledon v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by e17 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:59 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:We are all upset because we are all so ashamed.
I’m not. Its the standard depression that us failing miserably in Cup competitions brings. I can think of at least 10 occasions I’ve felt exactly the same as this - Stockport, Forrest, Oldham, Aldershot, Brum, etc etc

It’s not really shame for me, or caring about the score line or league & wage difference, it’s the feeling that not a single player or representative in C&B last night seemed to understand or be able to rise above indifference and invisibility - that part is what’s the most worrying to me

Aside from Diop, that starting team last night shorn of Fab, Rice, Anderson & Arnie looked like 1 you’d bet on being relegated.

& wouldn’t pay to watch.

Sawbo

Post by Sawbo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:00 pm

I'd be astonished if there's a Premier league team slower than us on the counter attack. Pathetically pedestrian.

Sloffy

Post by Sloffy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:04 pm

Haven’t read entire thread so apologies if I’m repeating what’s been said.

Whilst all players have a bad game sometimes, this match proved that some of our squad are just not up to it.

When I see on the transfer threads lists of our squad, as options for the starting line up, and people type things like Obiang as cover for Rice or Carroll as cover for Arnie....... these 2 are woefully nowhere near good enough.

Masuaku is poor. Ogbonna is average. Adrian’s days are numbered. Carroll was shocking.

Tbh if we could’ve made 6 subs at HT I think we would have. Don’t remember Diangana touching the ball. Chicarito & Noble the game passed them by.

In short, the disappointment of defeat should be balanced out by the realisation of the dead wood we are carrying around with us

Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:06 pm

e17 wrote:Aside from Diop, that starting team last night looked like 1 you’d bet on being relegated
On last night's performance, I don't think Diop should be an exception - he was very poor and partly at fault for at least two goals.

TheHandOfDog

Post by TheHandOfDog » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:58 pm

Well that was depressing, from minute one you could tell this was going to happen. With the donkey up top unable to do anything(holding up play, winning more headers than losing, pass the ball), Obiang showing us why Manuel had to go out and get Nasri and the Ogbonna/Masuaku left side partnership that is so ****ing abysmal that the side at the foot of the league one table could exploit them at will. I blame Pellegrini for that defeat, we could have started with the players he brought on, if we go to Wolves and get beat I will be ****ing fuming, this cup was all we had for an attempt at something interesting this season and we went out with a whimper. O yeah, Arnie can **** off too. If he played last night things could have been different. Twat.

Patito

Post by Patito » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:59 pm

Sawbo wrote:I'd be astonished if there's a Premier league team slower than us on the counter attack. Pathetically pedestrian.
Unless Anderson is involved

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:59 pm

Side of Ham wrote:Yep and i’m entitled to request you just have a bit more about yourselves...
Because you don't seem to give a **** doesn't mean that those who were pissed off have any the less about them.

My overriding feeling is good on AFC, but I think those 'ranting' about PL players going through the motions have a right to. The pensioners there last night weren't crying about overhyped expectations, but they were generally pretty angry with a number of players. Even more so with Arnie's video to watch going home.

It's a bit tiresome reading people posting from their armchairs telling others to suck it up.

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Post by Het-Field » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:07 pm

The starting line up should have given us a clue

Amongst those players there has been a historic culture which should have been eliminated.

Amazingly, neither Perez nor Anderson have been part of that, and they almost dragged us back into it with goals. Equally, if you look back at the team that won 3-1 in August, it had a very different vibe to it. Lots of new players, Zabaleta, Rice playing, Snodgrass really anxious to make his mark.

Last night, the usual suspects failed and failed spectacularly.

Bamber Gascoigne

Post by Bamber Gascoigne » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:07 pm

Doc :thup:

Sawbo

Post by Sawbo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:08 pm

Unless Anderson is involved[/quote]

Unfortunately he then has to wait ages for anyone to join the attack.

Patito

Post by Patito » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:17 pm

Sawbo :thup:

I think we are easily hurt on the counter too sometimes.

Ferret

Post by Ferret » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:26 pm

Yesterdays game also proves Noble aint captain material. :crest:

Sir_Trevor

Post by Sir_Trevor » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:31 pm

Patito wrote:Sawbo :thup:

I think we are easily hurt on the counter too sometimes.

Yep. This is masked a lot by Rice's excellent powers to recover and make last ditch challenges.

uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police

Post by uptonparkhurst » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:03 pm

The lad Wagstaff had us beat for pace for his first goal and his second was a superb finish.
But - it seems only West Ham can make players who are (statistically) meh look like world beaters.

The amount of time we gave the Dons to work the final goal from their left without getting remotely close to their players was disgraceful.

The midfield without Rice is defensively woeful.
I think that even with Fabianski in goal we would have conceded the first 3 goals
(wicked deflection, one-on-one, well-placed flick)

mickeymacavennie

Post by mickeymacavennie » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:10 pm

I've read every 55 pages of this thread.

I think that were reasonably unanimous with disappointment. Perhaps the most obvious assessment is that it isn't actual ability that measures a footballer. Rather, it's hunger.

And whilst I believe that we should win and lose as a team. It inevitable that we find those who seem most responsible for our embarrassing capitulation to lack hunger.

Ogbonna, Obiang, Hernandez are seasoned professionals who have been unable to command first-team places under a series of West Ham managers. They all dine out on serious PL contracts. I'd rather that we give these opportunities to younger more hungry footballers. Compare with Declan Rice. Chuck their shirts to the next young lad that might just swim in the deep end.

On the other hand. Perhaps Carroll, Perez and Masuaku just lack ability at the highest level.

Arnautovic is different. Hungry and greedy.

Rather win and lose as a team that is giving its best.

On the bright side after this humiliation. We're bound to beat Liverpool next week. West Ham can win, lose or draw to any team placed 1st to 68th in this league. It the West Ham way.

BondsoBob

Post by BondsoBob » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:27 pm

I admire the optimism but do you really think that a side that caved in to a team that are bottom of the 3rd division will beat a team that are very possibly going to win the Premier league title ? If the answer is yes, then I'll have some of what you're on.
And BTW unfortunately ' the West Ham way' seems more likely to be what we saw last night these days.

brothernero

Post by brothernero » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:36 pm

"West Ham can win, lose or draw to any team placed 1st to 68th in this league. It the West Ham way."

Was only a few seasons back when we lost to Aldershot in the League Cup, who at the time sat 92nd in the League. :lol:

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:41 pm

Ferret wrote:Yesterdays game also proves Noble aint captain material. :crest:
Dreadful choice as Captain and a dreadful captain. Why was he ever appointed as Captain other than he is from Canning Town. Anybody know? No leadership qualities. No leadership skills

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:48 pm

Puff Daddy wrote: Dreadful choice as Captain and a dreadful captain. Why was he ever appointed as Captain other than he is from Canning Town. Anybody know? No leadership qualities. No leadership skills
I guess you could ask Curbs, Pardew, Zola, Grant, Sam, Bilic, Moyes and Pelle or dozens of our players.

Alternatively you might know more I guess.

mickeymacavennie

Post by mickeymacavennie » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:55 pm

brothernero wrote:"West Ham can win, lose or draw to any team placed 1st to 68th in this league. It the West Ham way."

Was only a few seasons back when we lost to Aldershot in the League Cup, who at the time sat 92nd in the League. :lol:
Love that! Yep. 1st to 92nd.