Crystal Palace 1-1 West Ham Utd (09/02/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Re: ⚽ Crystal Palace v West Ham Utd: match thread (9/2)

Post by Colours never run »

What's important is we keep the quality of Football up, even if we draw or lose. The results will come as they proved at the beginning of winter as long as we keep trying to play the right way and just as importantly with the right professional attitude. Sometimes you can't help to win as Monday night showed but there's no real excuse for dropping standards in attitude, work rate and trying to keep playing attractive football.

I suspect a 2-1 loss after the lord mayor show, but another entertaining close game.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

bubbles1966 wrote:We'll beat this lot.
How has Antonio responded after the Liverpool game , looked to me as though he had a back problem or a hamstring was giving him problems - didn't help matters when everyone piled on top of him after the goal , he seemed to wince and put his hand to his back .
If he's out and Arnautovic fit I'd play the Austrian out right .

Crystal Palace have had some good results of late and the addition of Batshuayi will only make them better - since losing to us 3-2 they've beaten Leicester , Manchester City , Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fulham , they also knocked Tottenham out of the FA Cup .

I'm hopeful of at least a point but 3 isn't beyond us -

Crystal Palace 1 West Ham United 3
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Palace are a little hit and miss, more hit recently, you could say like us in the hit & miss stakes.

Think it will be an entertaining game, as CNR says, just hoping we keep our attitude & standards. We do that, we can beat & give anyone a game.

Fredericks for me against Zaha, pace won't be a problem, be a real test of his defending one on one though.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

have to fancy palace for this one so we will need to be fully committed and up for it.

fab
fredericks diop ogbonna cresswell
snoddy noble rice
Antonio arnie Anderson

subs Adrian zab masuaka obiang Hernandez nasri carroll

would not have carroll in the squad but I think pelle will.

same team other than arnie starting for Hernandez who I thought was lazy the other night.
obiang on for whoever tires the most out of snoddy and noble
Hernandez for arnie if need be
masuaka for Antonio if need be

If attitude is right then a draw . I cant see us beating this lot as they are on a run of form and we are terrible away from home. prove me wrong west ham please.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

I hope Monday's performance lets Cresswell, Fredericks, Antonio and Hernandez keep their place in the starting line-up
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Hernandez did little and a fit and fully committed arnie offers so much more
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

On their day, Palace are a really dangerous side, I don't think they get enough credit for. Going forward, they can be deadly. The thought of Townsend and Saha frighten the **** out of me flying down the wings, even against quality full backs, let alone our indifferent collection of full backs. Find a way of nullifying them, then we can get a result. Get at their defence, then they are found wanting. Can we impose our attack on them enough to do it? We have to take our chances and be clinical.
Patito

Post by Patito »

hammerman11 wrote:Hernandez did little
He did his fair share of work, particularly first half. Certainly put a shift in and caused a few problems for their defence early doors.
hammerman11 wrote: and a fit and fully committed arnie offers so much more
Will we ever see that again though?
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

The God of Pisstaking dictates Tomkins and Batshuayi have to score, so best to assume we'll need three to get three.
Colours never run

hammerman11 wrote:Hernandez did little and a fit and fully committed arnie offers so much more
It wasn't that he did little (not if you watch a lot of his unsung work running off the ball stretching the Centre backs apart), it was more the fact he wasn't given enough service. He also pre occupied the defenders which made spaces for others to attack the spaces vacated but that doesn't get picked up on when following the ball. The quality of opposition attacking us caused that as they had more of the ball understandably.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

I thought Hernandez had a good game on Monday. But then I am a fan (of his) and don't get the animosity that some seem to have towards him. On his day Arnie is better, but it all depends on where his head is at.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

Both teams are so mercurial it would be difficult to predict the outcome. Not even the great pundit Lawro could make an inspired forecast so he will no doubt predict a 2-0 win for the Nigels. Hopefully we will get six points from them.
Longaz
Has liked: 1388 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

Will be interesting to see what Pellegrini does in terms of Hernandez and Arnautovic, Arne is obviously the better all round player and fits our formation more. But Monday was a good ‘team’ performance and will have gone some way to re-installing some kind of togetherness and team spirit after all the upheaval. Batshuayi will obviously score, not because he’s so good and can’t be stopped but more because it’s the West Ham way, I’d expect us to score also though, Anderson’s due a goal. 2-1 score line, not sure who to though.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Haven't had a 0-0 for a while. So I will go for 0-0.
Monkey Mike
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Monkey Mike »

Stepney wrote:Haven't had a 0-0 for a while. So I will go for 0-0.
I'd take that. This is a nailed on defeat for me.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I think Chipolata will keep his place, he did ok against Liverpool and needs a run of games and a goal to get his confidence back.

If Antonio is out we have yet another shuffle the deck and see how it goes team.

That's the downside of not having a proper squad but Pelle is doing wonders with what has been thrown at him in this regard.

Palace are hot and cold and just for once wouldn't it be great if the inevitable nailed on goal that is usually scored against us by a Batman or Kouyate, Tompkins etc.. failed to happen and we went on to win the game.

Hopefully we can beat them and they are having a cold day. :scarfer:
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

hope we keep playing the way we played against the bin dippers cos we will need to against this lot..They have wide players who can hurt you and a manager who who can spot weaknesses.They will hit us down the flanks especialy if zahah is playing if we don't start treating these games with the same attitude as the Liverpool, arsenals etc they are quite capable of turning us over. I for one don't see this as an easy game and hope we are up for difficult game. :crest:
CBHammer

Post by CBHammer »

A performance and win here will be more impressive for me that Monday night

Of course, I enjoyed Monday, but we've been able to get up for those sorts of games all season.

These are the games we have consistently been inconsistent in.

I can't see any changes to the starting 11 for Saturday unless injuries/knocks

I thought Hernandez held the ball up well for 55 / 60 minutes before just looking tired, had a couple of good chances he created too.

Be nice to see a stronger bench with Nasri & Arnie.

Won't be an easy game Palace have looked pretty good most times I have seen them, just fail to convert chances. If they had solved their striker issue sooner I think they'd be higher than they are, perhaps Bats is the man they have needed.

Hope not... Not sure why just never liked Palace... Perhaps that playoff final still hurts from childhood
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

mushy wrote:Kumb tweet however thought he was a bit useless.
Up the Junction wrote:
The tweet you refer to was an in-game reference to how he was playing at that particular moment.

At no point did it state anything of the sort. Surprised at you, mushy.
I surprise myself at times guv but there was no intention to offend I assure you.
The tweet I refer to is as follows 'Andy Carroll has barely touched the ball since he came on but he's harried and chased the Liverpool back line constantly. Compare and contrast with the static and barely interested Hernandez'.
I saw that as an indication of his overall play to be honest.
Nothing indicates to me it was meant as that particular moment, I guess thats Twitter though.

Like I say, apologies for any offence .
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

I am 58 and really should know better but I only despise one premier club more than Palace .. and Tottenham that dead heat for 2nd