West Ham Utd 3-1 Fulham (22/02/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

MrHammer73
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Fulham: match thread (22/2)

Post by MrHammer73 »

It was a strange game but we needed a win after a few without one.

Like the others have said, we need to retain possession in midfield much better than we are doing. The likes of Lazini and Nasri will help that a lot.

Special shout out to Issa and Creswell, we seem to have a more solid look in defence when they are playing well.
Mad Professor
Has liked: 276 likes

Post by Mad Professor »

Just a pity Terry Henry wasn’t working for Sky last night!
Patito

Post by Patito »

I don’t think he did deliberately cheat to be honest and would have said the same had Mitrovic done the same.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

prophet:marginal wrote: I know he's our player - etc etc - but to me he deliberately cheated.
arlhe wrote:So did Lanzini, he just got caught.
I've acknowledged that. But there are different ways of deliberately breaking the rules, aren't there?

Or would you equate stealing 5 yards up the line, with a throw in, with punching the ball into the net too?
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

If you deliberately break the rules, you've cheated.

arlhe wrote:If you deliberately break the rules, you've cheated.
You are just stating the obvious, I am afraid.

Is all cheating equally bad?

Does the person infringing the throw-in rules get a yellow card? Are the consequences of his actions as clear and obvious as a goal being their direct result?
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2687 likes
Total likes: 1783 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

GaryP wrote: Better than that ...

http://fullmatchsports.com/west-ham-uni ... ull-match/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brilliant , Gary , thanks a lot , mate - :thup:

Stuck here on Skye with no tv , the wind howling outside , that was just what I needed .

What I like about Hernandez , and not everyone will agree with me , is his ' Will to win at all costs ' never mind the opposition , it could be AFC Wimbledon or Fulham , he'll get you a goal by whatever means and that could be the difference between winning or losing - being 0-1 down after three minutes and probing to no avail for 30 minutes it was good to get that goal - I liked the way Hernandez avoids all eye contact with the Referee until the goal had been sanctioned , no guilty looks , let the Ref decide , that's the ultimate professional for you , and anyway , it wasn't much of a handball . A little stat from the BBC , Javier is the first Mexican footballer to score 50 goals in the Premier League .

Goal No 2 was all about height - no one gets near Issa Diop , we don't score enough of those type of goals .

Thought Arnautovic looked lively , always looking for a positive result and his crossed pass for Antonio to power in accurately was sublime , we need to sign more players on Marko's level , hope we keep him for next season .

Three goals scored and another 3 points .
arlhe

Post by arlhe »

PM, If the punishment is deemed to fit the crime then Lanzini was guilty of just as much cheating as Hernandez.

arlhe wrote:PM, If the punishment is deemed to fit the crime then Lanzini was guilty of just as much cheating as Hernandez.
That's confusing, given that there was no punishment for the striker.
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

Its an instinctive reaction in those situations, I did it in a game once whilst defending on a goal line. Its a lot different to diving in my opinion.

I thought Hernandez showed some good touches yesterday, seems to be one of those strikers where if he doesnt get many chances he hasnt done enough while in the same curcumstances other strikers will be given the benefit of the doubt and said to have not received the right kind of service.

Great to see Lanzini back on the pitch :crest:
lukechadwick
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 122 likes

Post by lukechadwick »

arlhe wrote:PM, If the punishment is deemed to fit the crime then Lanzini was guilty of just as much cheating as Hernandez.
prophet:marginal wrote:
So you're saying that cheating is acceptable if you get caught?
As if caught Hernandez would have got a yellow.
Last edited by lukechadwick on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

Big fan of Lanzini’s new look. He’s obviously been off in a dark universe and come back looking all edgy and stuff.
arlhe

Post by arlhe »

Kabzini got caught and punished, Hernandez didn't. How does that make the latter more of a cheat?

lukechadwick wrote: So you're saying that cheating is acceptable if you get caught?
:?

Where have I even implied that?

My first post on the subject last night makes clear that I found it embarrassing that we cheated to equalise.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 662 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

I thought we were poor defensively last night.

Cresswell was really poor. He got caught with the ball over the top of him or out of position on a number of occasions. Ogbonna still frightens me to death when he is facing a counter attack.

Diop did much better when Fredericks came on as he stopped having to drift right.

I am sorry but Zabaleta is done at this level.

Antonio continues to be the single most frustrating player I have seen. Too many times he lost the ball then stood still watching the attack take place without tracking back. Got lucky with the goal as the keeper slipped and I thought he had been poor all second half.

We won and that's great, but Fulham were really really poor and against a better organised team we would have lost last night. Noble MOM for me closely followed by Rice.

Noted that Snodgrass, lost the ball on around 57 minutes then sprinted 35 yards to make a tackle and win it back. Antonio take note.

arlhe wrote:
Kabzini got caught and punished, Hernandez didn't. How does that make the latter more of a cheat?
Because in my opinion, he secured the ultimate prize, by deliberately scoring with his hand. I genuinely believe that, in the micro-moment it hit his head, he raised his hand to ensure that first inaccurate connection went into the net. Some people call it instinct. I think that's just being a touch naive.

Lanzini didn't even deny a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

There are differing levels of harm to Fulham, achieved through cheating.

There are differing levels of blame for that harm too, when looking at our respective players.

That's why we have free kicks, yellow and red cards; the cheating differs...

bristolhammerfc wrote:
Antonio continues to be the single most frustrating player I have seen. Too many times he lost the ball then stood still watching the attack take place without tracking back. Got lucky with the goal as the keeper slipped and I thought he had been poor all second half.
I thought Michail played a blinder last night, personally. Just like against LFC, every time the ball made its way to his chest or head, panic seemed to ripple through the opposition. Its a fairly blunt method, I appreciate, but we get the ball into the half of the opponent and more often than not he retains then releases it.

Kind of like Carroll ought to be doing, more centrally, but, of course, never can these days...
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Didn’t look deliberate to me. He’s missed the header and it’s come off his arm. Handball, no question. If the ref chalks it off no complaints. It was hardly the ‘magic’ from Callum Wilson though was it?

Despite the first 10 minutes of our no show, thought we played well up until HT. Completely dominated. 2nd half, we were still the better team. Defence dealt with Mitrovic and Babel well and we pretty much just saw out the game until we scored again.

It was a deserved win, where a fortunate but not deliberate handball got us back in it, but we probably would’ve scored eventually anyway.

Extra mention for Fredericks for his tackle on Mitrovic also...

Only complaints is that we started so poorly. Not sure if we thought it would easy and Fulham would do f*** all, but they could’ve scored 2/3 times.

The Fulham fighting was strange, didn’t know they had it in them...
Condorhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Condorhammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Didn’t look deliberate to me. He’s missed the header and it’s come off his arm.
That was my take on it as well, although the old minces aren't what they used to be :|
arlhe

Post by arlhe »

Because in my opinion, he secured the ultimate prize, by deliberately scoring with his hand. I genuinely believe that, in the micro-moment it hit his head, he raised his hand to ensure that first inaccurate connection went into the net. Some people call it instinct. I think that's just being a touch naive.

Lanzini didn't even deny a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

There are differing levels of harm to Fulham, achieved through cheating.

There are differing levels of blame for that harm too, when looking at our respective players.

That's why we have free kicks, yellow and red cards; the cheating differs...
So it would have been ok if Hernandez handball had gone wide of the target?

They both cheated, as do loads of players every week, I'm just not going to criticize Hernandez more for his crime. They are both yellow card offences.