West Ham Utd 3-1 Fulham (22/02/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 525 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Fulham: match thread (22/2)

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Should Markovic have been booked for his deliberate handball?
Graza

Post by Graza »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:Didn’t look deliberate to me. He’s missed the header and it’s come off his arm. Handball, no question. If the ref chalks it off no complaints. It was hardly the ‘magic’ from Callum Wilson though was it?
The way he whipped his head at the ball to get something on it his arms were bound to flail. Deliberate or accidental? Only the player knows for sure. Should it have stood? No. Was it a super tight game and we looked like we were never going to score? No.

If it had been the third not the first no one would even care it happened.

I don't really like scoring that way but given the offside, handled, fouled, cheated goals against us this season, I'm pretty sure we'd be up on VAR.

I also absolutely assert that while yes it got the ball rolling for us, the way they were playing, their obvious nerves at being ahead, and the way we grew into the game it was coming and I doubt it effected the result in the end.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

arlhe wrote:
So it would have been ok if Hernandez handball had gone wide of the target?
That's ignoring the actual consequence of his action. Why?
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Honestly.. we get little to know luck most of the time, usually these things go against us, so I really couldn't care less if Hernandez deliberately handled the ball or not.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Bang average last night but came up against a side who, defensively especially, were worse. We do not often threaten from corners but looked like we could score whenever we had one. They failed to track or block space every time. Diop scored a good goal but was allowed to run to an unchallenged header 6 yards out, no premier league team should allow that.

Hernandez goal, controversial or whatever came from a total inability to adequately deal with a set piece.

As for us our passing was sloppy, slow and generally fairly negative. Noble was his frustrating slow everything down, watch players walk past me self save for a couple of decent passes. Zaba worst game defensively in a West Ham shirt, Snodgrass and Anderson had difficulty passing to our team. Rice, Diop Ogbonna all did ok but with few options ahead of them often just punting the ball downfield. First half especially we got into numerous crossing positions but there was little or no threat in the box, Fulham were willing to concede the wide areas to prevent us playing through them and when the only person in the box is Hernandez any ball in has to be perfect.

Antonio’s effort, despite often lacking real quality, stood out for me. He seems to be playing some of his best football since the first season. Without him we would have had zero outlet for most of the match.

The last 15 minutes when Lanzini came on we suddenly looked like we could link play and attack with purpose, we need a player like him or Nasri in the team otherwise the front 3 and the the rest of the side have little or no connection.
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

I watched replays from about 6 different angles and still couldn’t be sure it came off he’s hand, so god knows how the ref should have spotted it?
arlhe
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

prophet:marginal wrote:[quote="arlhe

That's ignoring the actual consequence of his action. Why?
Because he cheated by handling the ball either way, as with Lanzini.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

We were still on holiday for the first 15... but afterwards dominated and were rarely threatened.

Fredericks really is a good right back... he made a big difference when he came on.

Nobody had a particularly bad game.

Arnie looked better yesterday too... Lanzini instantly added a new dynamic.

Overall, pretty comfortable and a deserved win.

How the f*** Rico get's away with what he was doing to Hernandez each corner I don't know... it was bizarre.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 222 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

arlhe wrote:If you deliberately break the rules, you've cheated.
Is it deliberate if it's instinctive?

My take on this is similar to Graza's.
And like Simonirons, it took me several replays from several angles to see a hint of handball - I'm still not 100% certain it was, so how can I condemn a man for deliberately cheating if I don't know he's even fouled?
The picture on the BBC report makes it look as though he's punched the ball in with his arm stretched out!
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PK
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by PK »

Just seen on Facebook that there was an incident in block 113 last night where a supporter was ejected by stewards because of an anonymous text about alleged racism (apparently it didn't even happen and several supporters in that area back that up).

Is this what we have become now, a supporter gets removed based on a solitary text that was not even true, surely they could have consulted others sitting around that area to establish what actually happened first.

Anyone near there see anything or had anything similar happen to near where they sit ?

What a shambles of a club we have become.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Rasp »

Can never give us any credit can they, everything you read concerns the controversial win from a hand ball, how about the blatant hand ball where we should of had a pen no not a thing mentioned regards that is there.
I hope he did handle it on purpose you ****ing knob heads.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I was watching on the box, I appreciate, so it might all be about the microphones etc, but the atmosphere sounded excellent last night. Fulham contributed well to it, when they were still ahead, but the noise of the crowd was noticeably good, all match.
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

Samba wrote: No bother at all. And this one's for Carragher, especially.
Just remind everyone about 06/01/2013 Mansfield Town v Liverpool FA Cup Third Round 1-2...
Luis Suárez shot at the keeper, the ball rebounded to him at waist height & he palmed it down to score their second goal, into an empty net.
Fancy needing such shoddy behaviour to knock a team out of the cup, 93 league places lower than you..
And the behaviour of the commentator was equally abhorrent that day.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 525 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

prophet:marginal wrote:I was watching on the box, I appreciate, so it might all be about the microphones etc, but the atmosphere sounded excellent last night. Fulham contributed well to it, when they were still ahead, but the noise of the crowd was noticeably good, all match.
Glad it came across ok on TV. I watched it back this morning and could only just hear the 10-15 of consistent singing and dancing we had going on the the BML / East Stand corner. Most fun I’ve had in ages.
North Devon Hammer
Location: Surf country where the waves are big but the girls are bigger.

Post by North Devon Hammer »

On train back to Devon after staying over.
Enjoyed the game, enjoyed the rib roll and enjoyed a few too many pints.
Good atmosphere in the TB lower. Sat at the front next to the Fulham fans and enjoyed the usual mutual banter/insults.
The cue for ribman was long they were quick serving.
Antonia my man of the match but I watched Rice closely and he is a fabulous player.
Great start to the weekend, now on to the oval ball and Cardiff..on
Boleyn Bound
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by Boleyn Bound »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: What I still fail to comprehend is why a sophisticated system such as this relies on two AA batteries to keep it working ? You'd think it'd be wired to the grid ?
But then in the event of a power cut you would also lose your heating...
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

funny atmosphere. think the majority being a few pints deep helped but there was a constant din a bit like you see in europe. it wasn't all out like some of the bigger games but i can't remember a lull at any point which might he a first for that place.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

we were far from great but Fulham are abysmal , if the answer is Harvard nordveit then the question must be

'' which central defender can we buy that would almost certainly guarantee our relegation ''

Fulham could of not spent 1 penny in the summer and be no worse off
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 982 likes

Post by e17 »

bristolhammerfc wrote:I am sorry but Zabaleta is done at this level.
Based on what? A ropey 45 minutes?

After Fab, the fella has been the most consistently reliable player in the team on every visit to that place this season. He’s barely had a bad game for us at Stratford, has been noticeable when out for certain games (Wimbledon), & up until Fredericks coming back, was one of the few areas of the pitch we had very little to worry about based on him being a reliable option.

He wasn’t great last night, but he’s definitely not finished at this level.
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 982 likes

Post by e17 »

Rasp wrote:Can never give us any credit can they, everything you read concerns the controversial win from a hand ball, how about the blatant hand ball where we should of had a pen no not a thing mentioned regards that is there.
I hope he did handle it on purpose you ****ing knob heads.
Modern football as a whole, that.

All I know is I woke up this morning happy we’d won and had a sunny weekend to enjoy, and guessing most punters feel that way today too!