Manchester City 1-0 West Ham Utd (27/02/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester City v West Ham Utd: match thread (27/02)

Post by OohAahButler »

Puff Daddy wrote:Park the bus
No thanks. What’s the point? We have nothing to lose for this one - we’re all but safe and nobody expects us to get anything. It’s as close to a gimme as any game, so we may as well give it a go. Worst that happens is that we get the expected tonking and the scousers get even more jittery. Best that happens...who knows?

Fredericks to start just to try to match them for pace on one of the wings at least, Arnie to start to make a nuisance of himself and give them something to think about at the back. Lanzini on at half time.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

No harm in resting a few key players for Newcastle as we actually have strong back ups now. Give Arnie an hour and start Nasri, Diangana and Obiang. Lanzini for Nasri to get another 30 mins and also bring on Hernandez/Carroll and Snodgrass for Antonio and Arnie for 20 or so minutes.

------------------------Fabianski
Fredericks-------Diop------Oggy------Masuaku
---------------------Obiang----Rice
Antonio---------------Nasri----------Diangana
------------------------Arnautovic
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Denzil wrote: I quite like it. There's a lot of mutual hatred and a lot of similarities between the two clubs, aside from an insanely rich owner.
Yeah, I tend to agree. I'd certainly be a lot happier seeing them win the quadruple than I would anyone else.
Just feels as though they pity us a bit now they have won the lottery.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Hopefully they have a cup final hangover and we can put in a good performance. Obviously they have a much better squad but we played on Friday, they played Sunday. Maybe that will count for something?
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Topical given the fixture tonight – apparently our victory there in Bilic's first season was the second biggest distortion of expected goals in PL history. Result 'should' have been 1-4 to them on the fundamentals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47376512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're also third on the list for the final game the same season against Stoke, where Sakho couldn't hit a barn door and we dropped from 5th to 7th in the final table as a result. That one should have been 3-0 to us in normal circumstances, although I would have guessed 8-0.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aceface wrote:Topical given the fixture tonight – apparently our victory there in Bilic's first season was the second biggest distortion of expected goals in PL history. Result 'should' have been 1-4 to them on the fundamentals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47376512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're also third on the list for the final game the same season against Stoke, where Sakho couldn't hit a barn door and we dropped from 5th to 7th in the final table as a result. That one should have been 3-0 to us in normal circumstances, although I would have guessed 8-0.
Looking back that Stoke game was a huge turning point. Win that and we come 6th and automatic qualification for Europa League, rather than the subsequent absymal defeat to Astra [again]
I wonder how that would have panned out?
Bluemanc100

Post by Bluemanc100 »

City Fan here.. I come in peace....

I have a lot of time for your club having been a City Fan for over 50 years and "here when we were ****"..it feels like both our clubs were woven from the same type of cloth

I get the comments about the "Lottery Win" and take them on the chin but would say that we feel like we deserve some success after the dross we've seen over the years

I'll be a little nervous at the game tonight as we have some tired legs but hopefully Pep will rotate effectively.

It will be great to see some old acquaintances playing and on the bench for the Hammers tonight but we need to win to keep up the pressure on that lot....

Hopefully people can eventually see past the "Oil Money" and the "Lottery Win" and realise that Pep has brought a fantastic new style to the league and one which all clubs can emulate over time....

Hope tonight is a great game and the best team wins! I'll be clapping the likes of Zabba, The Lesbian (Nasri) and the Engineer (Pellers) as they formed a huge part of our recent history.... :thup:
Last edited by Bluemanc100 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Looking back that Stoke game was a huge turning point. Win that and we come 6th and automatic qualification for Europa League, rather than the subsequent absymal defeat to Astra [again]
I wonder how that would have panned out?
I think that's a far less painful thought that knowing if we'd beat an on-the-beach Swansea (at home ffs!) in the third to last game and then polished up Stoke – in a game the stats say we 'should' have won 3-0 – we'd have comfortably made the CL qualifier. Was entirely in our hands and wouldn't have required other results to go our way.

That would have been trajectory changing. [It goes without saying we'd have suffered a dispiriting loss in the play-off game, it's still West Ham after all, but psychologically it would have expanded the envelope of the possible.]
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

Man City lost both Premier League games without Fernandinho. No Laporte for them either tonight so Kompany will probably be at CB with Otamendi. Chance to get at them through the middle?
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

I think you have to have something in the middle yourself to be able to do damage to someone else down the middle. I'm not seeing Obiang and Noble striding like colossi through the centre of the Etihad, making Gundogan call them Dad etc. And I'm really trying.
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

I was straw-clutching, admittedly.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Bluemanc100 wrote:The Lesbian Nasri)
:lol: Why????

(and thanks for the post, knowing we'll be put to death tonight)
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I would.
Bluemanc100

Post by Bluemanc100 »

S-H wrote:Image

I would.
I have

Joking....
Patito

Post by Patito »

SoulCircus wrote:Man City lost both Premier League games without Fernandinho. No Laporte for them either tonight so Kompany will probably be at CB with Otamendi. Chance to get at them through the middle?

Enter The Lesbian....
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

We just can't compete with the Man City's midfield because they are stronger , more athletic and skilful . I know this is sacrilege but I'd just put 'stoppers' in midfield and go direct. Use Antonio , Fredericks down the wings and use Snodgrass and Anderson to double up with them and hit crosses into the box . Use AC to unsettle them in their penalty box and use either Arnie or Chico to try and feed off the knock-downs. Burnley do this very effectively although it failed against Newcastle yesterday (but worked against Spuds). Although I wish we could , we don't have the players who can outplay Man City using neat football.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Just don't get injured. Anyone.
Newcastle, Cardiff, Huddersfield coming up
:raver:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Patito wrote:
Enter The Lesbian....
Never saw that Bruce Lee film. Any good?
Aycliffe

Post by Aycliffe »

Bluemanc100 wrote:City Fan here.. I come in peace....

I have a lot of time for your club having been a City Fan for over 50 years and "here when we were ****"..it feels like both our clubs were woven from the same type of cloth

I get the comments about the "Lottery Win" and take them on the chin but would say that we feel like we deserve some success after the dross we've seen over the years

I'll be a little nervous at the game tonight as we have some tired legs but hopefully Pep will rotate effectively.

It will be great to see some old acquaintances playing and on the bench for the Hammers tonight but we need to win to keep up the pressure on that lot....

Hopefully people can eventually see past the "Oil Money" and the "Lottery Win" and realise that Pep has brought a fantastic new style to the league and one which all clubs can emulate over time....

Hope tonight is a great game and the best team wins! I'll be clapping the likes of Zabba, The Lesbian (Nasri) and the Engineer (Pellers) as they formed a huge part of our recent history.... :thup:
I just want us to turn up and give City a game mate, if we sit back and let your midfield play then it could be another long night!
After tonight though good luck in stopping Liverpool and retaining your title :thup:
Bluemanc100

Post by Bluemanc100 »

I just want us to turn up and give City a game mate, if we sit back and let your midfield play then it could be another long night!
After tonight though good luck in stopping Liverpool and retaining your title :thup:
Agreed, if it's a good game with no controversy then the result is always easier to take... I'm married to a Dipper (who strangely was never interested in football when we met 30 years ago but now is...) and even I couldn't stand them winning the league.. they are detestable ****ers now so God help us all if they do lift the trophy...