Manchester City 1-0 West Ham Utd (27/02/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Paolopaul
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 301 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester City v West Ham Utd: match thread (27/02)

Post by Paolopaul »

For those talking about corruption- does that corruption also spread to the Hernandez goal against Fulham being awarded to us?

Seems like the team higher up the league always appear to get the dodgy decision, I just can't work out whether this is because they are creating more opportunities to get dodgy decisions, or if there's something darker going on.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Paolopaul wrote:For those talking about corruption- does that corruption also spread to the Hernandez goal against Fulham being awarded to us?
Hard to tell from the replays, so it was hardly blatant, and the ref or assistants didn't have a clear view of it.

The media still called the win 'controversial' because of it though, no such suggestion that Man City's victory was controversial though, despite a dodgy penalty, the fact Man city could have been 4 goals ahead is irrelevant.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 301 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

Completely agree that the media coverage is pathetic - even this morning the BBC are hardly mentioning how dodgy the penalty was. Too busy having a w@nkfest over Liverpool no doubt.

And every time something like this happens we're left wondering how Lanzini got a retrospective ban for diving!
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Look all this is not new. The old joke used to be: Liverpool drew 0-0 at Anfield today. The answer of course was oh yes who missed their penalty! And that goes back over 25 years. Happened to us up there once when we had put in a superb defensive display and Ray Stewart was sent off for telling the ref he was a cheat. :crest:
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

Paolopaul wrote:Completely agree that the media coverage is pathetic

And every time something like this happens we're left wondering how Lanzini got a retrospective ban for diving!

Only Lanzini and one Everton player(?) so far been banned? One wonders if the retrospective ban is what kept Manu on his feet when clearly fouled last night.

#gamesfucked
S-H

Post by S-H »

Has Salah been pulled up for his numerous dives this season?
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

hammerleroy wrote:Look all this is not new.:
It isn't new I agree, but, and my memory isn't what it was, I don't remember as many penalties being awarded in general and equally so many 'soft'(i.e. dives). Perhaps , as someone said last night, it's the replays making it look worse.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

The sooner the big six clubs and their European counterparts form a European super league the better. They can take their plastic fans and the sycophantic media with them.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

The line that got me on MOTD was that twonk Shearer saying "City deserved to win" as if that put paid to any penalty debate. Well I am sorry Alan but the team that scores the most goals is the team that deserves to win and Man City scored from a penalty that was a dive, so no they didn't deserve to win.

I also noticed that they didn't replay the Lanzini challenge even after Pellegrini mentioned it. Can you imagine if Klopp or Pep had said that they thought they should of had a penalty? It would have been replayed from 5 different angles with those stealing a living in the studio all agreeing with the manager.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Coops wrote:The line that got me on MOTD was that twonk Shearer saying "City deserved to win" as if that put paid to any penalty debate. Well I am sorry Alan but the team that scores the most goals is the team that deserves to win and Man City scored from a penalty that was a dive, so no they didn't deserve to win.

I also noticed that they didn't replay the Lanzini challenge even after Pellegrini mentioned it. Can you imagine if Klopp or Pep had said that they thought they should of had a penalty? It would have been replayed from 5 different angles with those stealing a living in the studio all agreeing with the manager.
Agree Coops, like I said earlier how much airtime did that corner that shouldn't have been a corner, which led to Burnley's goal against Spurs get? How much airtime did the dodgy throw in which led to Spurs first goal get in comparison?

When you stop and think about it, it really is shocking.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Unfortunately the guidance for whether an incident gets looked at for retrospective ban is whether there is contact or not, [and a penalty has to be given of course]. I believer [and i could be wrong] that if there is contact, however minimal and however much it looks like it has been manipulated by the attacker, it will not be looked at as very hard to determine if it is definitely a dive or not if there is contact when someone is running at pace. Rightly or wrongly, no contact at all is much more likely deemed to be a dive [although that is too simplistic for me]

Players like Salah, know the situation and are clever in that they wait for the incidences where there is contact, or they can create contact, and then make the most of it. Given the better teams attack so much there are usually plenty of occasions per match when they can do this.

Officials have been favourable to the bigger teams for decades. Not just in England, but in every league in the world. As I have said before, I don't believe it is an official conspiracy [in England anyway], more human subconscious behaviour and biases taking over. Referees know [even if they don't think it rationally] that any decisions against the big clubs will be magnified and thus quick decisions often go in favour of the big teams. Referees are human and thus are subjective to all the inherent behavioural biases that impact us all. Until you get robot referees who are immune to these then it will always exist.

I don't have any evidence to back it up but i expect in the seasons we have been in Division 2 we have probably had more decisions in our favour than not, b/c we were one of the bigger teams.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Coops wrote:The line that got me on MOTD was that twonk Shearer saying "City deserved to win" as if that put paid to any penalty debate. Well I am sorry Alan but the team that scores the most goals is the team that deserves to win and Man City scored from a penalty that was a dive, so no they didn't deserve to win.
Now you are being a bit overly critical IMHO. Shearer is an awful pundit and a complete helemt, and he was wrong about the penalty IMHO, but Manchester City did deserve to win. They had nearly 80% possession, 20 shots vs 2, 7 on target vs 1 and hit the woodwork a couple of times

We were extremely unlucky to lose, but that doesn't change the fact that they deserved to win IMHO.
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

ereford ammer wrote:The sooner the big six clubs and their European counterparts form a European super league the better. They can take their plastic fans and the sycophantic media with them.
Totally agree
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

f*** me that was a **** of a journey back last night. The ****ing M6, 3.45 a.m.return.

As for the game, the starting line up was a surprise but a pleasant one, and credit the manager for doing some old fashioned work by fully using his squad, and looking at new players. Johnson I thought did ok and Fredericks on the other side is settling in. That might be £25m we don't have to spend on those positions next summer.

Carroll as skipper was a weird one, with his club service obviously being the reason, either that or because he was tallest. Actually I'd go with that yardstick in future, but other than his missed opportunity he contributed little, his physique no longer capable of any real performance.

Diop was superb, and let's not forget for all their possession, up until their 59th minute penalty they had exactly the same number of saves to be made by their keeper as we did ours, one. I thought they looked anxious, and were too hurried to have a shot rather than ping the ball around the edge of our box to apply pressure. We too though in the final quarter should have had Lanzini dribbling in to their box to try and tempt the poor challenge : I thought he looked good last night.

A shame we lost but at least we weren't humiliated, and I'm pleased Zabaleta got his little cameo, little things like that matter to players as they approach the twilight of their careers.

My final thought though is a fit, motivated productive Arnie would have seen us leave with at least a point last night. He's wrecked our season, and for all the grief we give the Chairman on here, sometimes we need to point the finger at the players.
S-H

Post by S-H »

the pink palermo wrote: My final thought though is a fit, motivated productive Arnie would have seen us leave with at least a point last night. He's wrecked our season, and for all the grief we give the Chairman on here, sometimes we need to point the finger at the players.
:thup:
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Now you are being a bit overly critical IMHO. Shearer is an awful pundit and a complete helemt, and he was wrong about the penalty IMHO, but Manchester City did deserve to win. They had nearly 80% possession, 20 shots vs 2, 7 on target vs 1 and hit the woodwork a couple of times

We were extremely unlucky to lose, but that doesn't change the fact that they deserved to win IMHO.
Yes they were by far the better team, but apart from a penalty that shouldn't have been they didn't actually score. We put up a fantastic defensive performance, which should have earned us a point.
Last edited by Coops on Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

What is deserving to win? Having lots of the ball, doing some fancy stuff on the edge of the box, but Fabianski not having to do much until an hour in?

We deserved a point. The defensive performance is sometimes as important as any attacking stuff. We defended fantastically and reduced the ‘best side in the league’ to dive to break us down.

I don’t think that was a Man City performance deserving of the win at all. Getting annoyed with them doing a 3 yard pass and a step over and everyone applauding and calling it ‘mesmerising’.

Shearer and Keown are pathetic. TV licences should be half price.
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

As others have observed the away section looked less than full yesterday, was this due to a cap on numbers or did we not sell our allocation?
Patito

Post by Patito »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: As I have said before, I don't believe it is an official conspiracy [in England anyway], more human subconscious behaviour and biases taking over. Referees know [even if they don't think it rationally] that any decisions against the big clubs will be magnified and thus quick decisions often go in favour of the big teams.
I believe this to be the case as well. It doesn't make it any less infuriating when it happens though.
Patito

Post by Patito »

the pink palermo wrote: My final thought though is a fit, motivated productive Arnie would have seen us leave with at least a point last night. He's wrecked our season, and for all the grief we give the Chairman on here, sometimes we need to point the finger at the players.
Absolutely. He started his strop at a crucial time for us as well around that B'mouth match.