Manchester City 1-0 West Ham Utd (27/02/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester City v West Ham Utd: match thread (27/02)

Post by TommyHammer »

Just imagine if we won, the confidence and belief that would give us going into a pretty decent run of fixtures.

Oh, what's that? 1-0 Newcastle? oh right.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Unsure if this has been mentioned yet but a defeat tomorrow night officially puts us out of the title race for the year.

Been a great run :thup:
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:Unsure if this has been mentioned yet but a defeat tomorrow night officially puts us out of the title race for the year.

Keep your chin up, there's always next year.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:Unsure if this has been mentioned yet but a defeat tomorrow night officially puts us out of the title race for the year.

Normally in February we are trying to get out of the bottom three.

Pellegrini here means we can still win the title :scarfer:
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Chelsea tried the high press at City, then on Sunday they looked to deny them space and “sat back” - which worked better? - press City and they will simply use the space you leave them. Chelsea could have won on Sunday, arguably they had the better chances. The Chelsea squad is better - they have Kante who was my MOM - but it is the blueprint to beat City.

When they came to the Stadium earlier in the season we left players ahead of the ball and got taken apart.

We will likely lose but when you are not as talented as them - and we are not - you need to stop them playing, hope to keep it to zero or one then look to hit them either on the break or in the last 20 minutes.

Not pretty and if you concede earlier you are screwed but it is about the only way to get a result presuming they are on their game.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Park the bus
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I hope we've learnt from our previous match with them this season, but fear we may not have done.

Reckon this might be one for Arnie to start, with a couple of pacy wingers either side to get on to clearances from the back and drop them somewhere near his bonce.

Still see City winning it by 2 or 3, regardless. There's too much quality in their squad, even if they rest someone the back up is a terrific player.

The only slight ray of sunlight is that it seems Fernandinho is injured, and he's incredibly key for them (even at 33).
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Deny them space as much as possible. Defend deep and narrow, if you over expose on one side they've got about 5 players that can hit Sterlin/Silva/a full back with a 50 yarder across the pitch and get in behind.

Given the above, I'd see this as a game for Antonio as the central striker. Anderson on one side for pace on the break and Snodgrass on the other for his work rate and to try to cut down on space for Sterling. Bring Obiang in to midfield and have him and Rice glued to our centre backs.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:Deny them space as much as possible. Defend deep and narrow, if you over expose on one side they've got about 5 players that can hit Sterlin/Silva/a full back with a 50 yarder across the pitch and get in behind.

Given the above, I'd see this as a game for Antonio as the central striker. Anderson on one side for pace on the break and Snodgrass on the other for his work rate and to try to cut down on space for Sterling. Bring Obiang in to midfield and have him and Rice glued to our centre backs.
I wouldn't have Obiang anywhere near the match day squad, gives the ball away too much and they don't need any second invitation to do something damaging with it once they've got it without gifting it to them as well
asters89
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by asters89 »

They aren't sounding overly confident over on Bluemoon, generally they seem quite apprehensive about the tiredness in the squad and saying it will take a big push to get them through the next couple of congested weeks. Fairly complementary about us, but also recognising that we aren't the sort of team to go up there and park the bus which probably plays in their favour.

I think they've got enough depth and quality to see them through this one. Obviously I'd love if it we go up there and get a result but if we don't, I wouldn't begrudge them the points if they go on to pip Liverpool
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

"It's only West Ham lads, I'll see you at the stadium on Wednesday"

Was probably the last thing Pep said to his team on Sunday.

Considering how we roll over every time we play them, why on earth would they need to prepare.

:wink:
Last edited by S-H on Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

The little love in that exists between us and Man City... not sure if I love it or loathe it...
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

sutts07 wrote:The little love in that exists between us and Man City... not sure if I love it or loathe it...
I quite like it. There's a lot of mutual hatred and a lot of similarities between the two clubs, aside from an insanely rich owner.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

stu1 wrote: Wonder how this will go down.

Under less popular managers, this would be interpreted as effectively admitting defeat before a balls been kicked.
Don't think he would have floated it if Nasri and Lanzini weren't back. Diangana replaced by one of those two on 65 mins isn't the worst change-up if he feels Anderson needs a rest.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

sutts07 wrote:The little love in that exists between us and Man City... not sure if I love it or loathe it...
Yes, but WE are United..
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

Is Pellers gonna field a weakened team to piss off Klopp?
Suffolk Iron
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Suffolk Iron »

Remember Manchester City coming to our place, early/mid 80's I think. We sent them down. Most of the South Bank came on to the pitch at the end and went towards their corner to that little bit fenced off for away fans. Seriously thought it would all kick off. But no. We sang "You'll be back". I think a bit of mutual respect was born that day.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

It was at the very end of the season, iirc, such that we were on the pitch as was traditional, as an end of season tribute.

In fact, I think they might already have been down, by the time they played, so the appreciation towards them was about how loyal they were? Something like that.

I know one or two City, who were there, having met them long after that time. Not the standard reception they were getting in the capital during the 80's, for sure.

I'd settle for a draw tomorrow, but only so long as it means that LFC lose the title by a single point...

...the one they nicked off us a month back.

#cityquadruple
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Wouldn't it be interesting for Man City to concede a goal inside the first 3 minutes just for a change ?
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Puff Daddy wrote:Wouldn't it be a f**king miracle for Man City to concede a goal inside the first 3 minutes just for a change ?