Manchester City 1-0 West Ham Utd (27/02/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester City v West Ham Utd: match thread (27/02)

Post by Harry Hound »

Patito wrote:"Crouchend_Hammer" As I have said before, I don't believe it is an official conspiracy [in England anyway], more human subconscious behaviour and biases taking over. Referees know [even if they don't think it rationally] that any decisions against the big clubs will be magnified and thus quick decisions often go in favour of the big teams.

I believe this to be the case as well. It doesn't make it any less infuriating when it happens though.
Often referred to as " the path of least resistance" and it's been psychologically proven almost all of us do this to some extent.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Just read the 'opposition view, wish I hadn't! They're as big a bunch of entitled pr*cks as Liverpool in my opinion!

The audacity of away teams like 'little' West Ham setting up to defend against their £billion squad of world superstars, and apparently they were due a decision and a penalty :lol:

Football in this country is bent and rotten with Arab and Russian oil money, owners who aren't even allowed in the country, refs that can't wait to give the 'big clubs' an extra advantage on top of everything else they've got in their favour! Still, it'll be exciting to see Man City win all four trophies, did you know they were up for the 'quadruple', not sure if BBC or Sky mentioned it!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I thought the oppo view in the main was decent Macca, opinions eh.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Patito wrote:"Crouchend_Hammer" As I have said before, I don't believe it is an official conspiracy [in England anyway], more human subconscious behaviour and biases taking over. Referees know [even if they don't think it rationally] that any decisions against the big clubs will be magnified and thus quick decisions often go in favour of the big teams.
I believe this to be the case as well. It doesn't make it any less infuriating when it happens though.
Harry Hound wrote:Often referred to as " the path of least resistance" and it's been psychologically proven almost all of us do this to some extent.
same arguments made in italy before calciopoli.
the subconscious thing is true, but that only allowed you to hide in plain sight.

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Manchester City
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133311
on average, what a bunch of condescending and entitled twats! Image
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Still bemused how that penalty was given. Ran across Anderson and just went over as soon as he felt contact. Soft as *****.
Macca1973

Post by Macca1973 »

Clacton-ammer wrote:I thought the oppo view in the main was decent Macca, opinions eh.
It's like warp says, their 'affection' for little West Ham is just condescending and patronising. It hasn't taken them long to get there has it, short memories.

I think I expected more from Man City but I guess they are not the same cub as when I was young, nor the same breed of supporters. Not one of those supporters expressed the view about the penalty decision that it shouldn't have been given or that it was a dive and they are ashamed, even with all their stars and riches to have to win a game like that.

When Hernandez handled the ball into the goal against Fulham, almost to a man, West Ham supporters were condemning it because that is not who we are, and that I believe is what sets us aside from any other supporters. That is what people like Allardyce and others will never understand. Supporting West Ham is not about winning at any cost, it is about entertainment, fairness, family, community and shared traditional values. Maybe we just don't fit into the modern world of football and West Ham United truly did die in May 2016.

Rant over, sorry!
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

I think that - technically - it was a penalty (a typical "forward's" tackle, albeit on a player who's deliberately slowing down and waiting for contact).
Of course, the **** of a ref couldn't wait to give it, and I'm certain that if the situation was reversed we wouldn't get the penalty.

For me, the bright spots were the young lad making his debut, the CB's, and Frederick's defending
(although his tackling can verge on the reckless at times), and Lanzini getting some minutes.
Carroll made a useful contribution overall in defence, and might have had a goal, but he has turned
jogging into an art-form.
OK, we might have drawn or even won it - but for most of the game we never got near them and we
could easily have shipped 3 goals early on. Mahrez was awful for them and, fortunately for us,
his lack of confidence spread through the team and quietened the crowd.
(I'll get my coat)
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Fair point, well made Macca :thup: I had not looked at it that way, probably through tinted glasses on my part as I do have a soft spot for them.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

uptonparkhurst wrote:I think that - technically - it was a penalty (a typical "forward's" tackle, albeit on a player who's deliberately slowing down and waiting for contact).
what tackle? anderson is running and bernie sticks a leg on his path and goes down.
did a vardy there.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Macca1973 wrote:
It's like warp says, their 'affection' for little West Ham is just condescending and patronising. It hasn't taken them long to get there has it, short memories.

I think I expected more from Man City but I guess they are not the same cub as when I was young, nor the same breed of supporters. Not one of those supporters expressed the view about the penalty decision that it shouldn't have been given or that it was a dive and they are ashamed, even with all their stars and riches to have to win a game like that.

When Hernandez handled the ball into the goal against Fulham, almost to a man, West Ham supporters were condemning it because that is not who we are, and that I believe is what sets us aside from any other supporters. That is what people like Allardyce and others will never understand. Supporting West Ham is not about winning at any cost, it is about entertainment, fairness, family, community and shared traditional values. Maybe we just don't fit into the modern world of football and West Ham United truly did die in May 2016.

Rant over, sorry!
Probably not the 'old school' manc fans posting that to be fair.
Macca1973

Post by Macca1973 »

No i’m sure you’re probably right GaryP. Just find the whole modern game so frustrating and so far detached from the game I knew.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Always enjoy a visit there and find the fans in the pubs etc to be alright.

I always hope that when I’m in some distant town I’m not judged by some of the bollox I read from West Ham ‘fans’ on social media.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

For anyone in doubt about how dubious the penalty was, watch Guardiola's interview on BBC - "didn't see it", couldn't look the interviewer in the eye, fidgeting constantly...

Funny game when re-watched. For 15 minutes they were all over us and had plenty of shooting opportunities though Fabianski hardly made a save.

For the next 40-45, they barely landed a blow, we had moments of decent possession that frequently died with either Antonio or Anderson - and we had the best chance - smart stop by their 'keeper. During that spell, the game was almost in the balance.

Hugely iffy penalty just before 60 minutes and then they stepped it up for 15 minutes, most of their forays coming down Zabaleta's side after Johnson went off with sore calves. This was probably the only time Fabianski really had to earn his corn.

Then the game reverted to us having squandered moments of good possession as their attack again dried up in spite of considerable possession. Defensively, it was a very good performance, and mainly from the more lowly regarded players.

Lanzini and Diangana were better than Anderson and Nasri, Obiang was better than Rice, Fred was better than Zabaleta, Ogbonna was excellent.
Graza

Post by Graza »

The way I see it we've played 1st and 2nd in the league in the last few weeks and come out 1-2, where one goal against had a blatant offside in the build up and the other a soft as baby ***** penalty.

We played much better against Liverpool but still did ok against one of if not the most expensively assembled squad in the world.

Would have been nice to have had 4 points not 1 out of it, but if we'd come away with 0 and another -8 on our goal difference would anyone have been surprised?

Newcastle is a much more important game for us.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

bubbles1966 wrote:For anyone in doubt about how dubious the penalty was, watch Guardiola's interview on BBC - "didn't see it", couldn't look the interviewer in the eye, fidgeting constantly...
We have a new Wenger..
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

What a bummer. 28 games played and mathematically speaking we now cannot win the league.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

But are we mathematically safe from relegation yet?

Edit
Nope - we're 19 points from mathematical safety. Season's not over yet - COYI :scarfer:

(But we could be safe with six games to go).