West Ham Utd 2-0 Newcastle Utd (02/03/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerleroy

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: match thread (3/2)

Post by hammerleroy »

This game proved, if it needed to, that we have a real backbone now. Fabs with Diop and Ogbonna in front of him and Rice in front of them. Balbuena will have to wait for now IMO. Add the return of Manu and we may have something going now. Bet it kills Arnie to sit on the bench but there you go. Anyone know what Cressie has done now? Incidentally the much-maligned Arthur did well although I'd much prefer to see him in the opposition half! Pelly won't have to do too much tinkering in the summer apart from up front of course. But 7th...……...who knows.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

bubbles1966 wrote:That's probably aimed at my post.

It's nice to win but I didn't see a great deal of creativity in the final third until Arnie showed up if I'm being honest and the result was a foregone conclusion before half time.

It was all very professional. Clinical.
I know what you're going on about - we had the measure of Newcastle , who let's not forget had beaten Man City , Huddersfield and Burnley before coming to the London Stadium - we were comfortably in control despite Newcastle being well organised at the back - their plan was to catch us on the break and we weren't going to let them - looked to me as though we had at least 2 more gears to go up .
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

I actually thought Masuaku was pretty decent when he came on yesterday.
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 982 likes

Post by e17 »

GaryP :thup: top man on the link mate

Steps - not really moaning either, more a comment on how weird it feels to attend games thinking “I reckon we’ll win this one by a couple of goals”, and that actually happening :wink: it’s just not West Ham, & yet that’s what’s happened twice in a row now.

It’s actually a lovely feeling but it’s a bit unusual. Even during the final Boleyn season there was the feeling that it was the last time we’d play Man U/Spurs/Chelsea etc at the old place, and it felt like it was mainly those sides we turned over, followed by “classic” WHU results against the likes of Swansea - whereas under Pel we’re now getting the results we actually would on paper.

It’s all down to the manager, and reflects on why he was the best signing we made last summer, even moreso than Fab. Benitez bleating on about being unlucky shows how the owners got that decision very right.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

Main thing that I noticed from last night was Lanzini- I'd forgotten how good he is! Coming deep and linking play but also being consistently positive. This is the first we've seen of him and rice in that centre midfield area and it looks very promising indeed.

Also kudos to pellegrini for making the right team selection for both this game and Man City.
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

Diogenes wrote:I thought Hernandez had an excellent game today. Ran his socks off, good movement, linked up play and drew the foul when necessary. Very professional performance.
:thup:

I hope we can keep him. The 'fox in the box' type of player can win matches and IMHO nobody is as foxy as Chico.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Great to see Lanzini back. It gives us the chance to rotate the front 3 a bit more. I think it’s time for Anderson to have a rest, I think he looks jaded, for me Cardiff is the perfect opportunity.
If only we could find a 20 goal a season forward
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

bubbles1966 wrote:I think the last two at home have been a bit mundane.
Think its like my old school reports, could should do better, although as people say a wins a win but I was wanting a third to relax.
Nice to see Angelo Ogbonna playing how he should in defence and no longer goes wandering staying in a good looking line of four with the others, got to be down to someone having a word and getting him to change.
Derby Hammer
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Derby Hammer »

Two interesting facts in the BBC’s match report...

*Robert Snodgrass has registered 19 assists in the league since the start of last season, a haul only bettered in English football's top four tiers by Marcus Maddison, Leroy Sane, Graham Carey and Raheem Sterling.

*West Ham's Mark Noble has scored 22 penalties in the Premier League since his debut in August 2005. Only Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Sergio Aguero and Wayne Rooney have scored more in that period.

Not surprised about the Noble one, but I am about the Snodgrass one. Decent considering he doesn’t always get a game.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Derby Hammer wrote:Two interesting facts in the BBC’s match report...

*Robert Snodgrass has registered 19 assists in the league since the start of last season, a haul only bettered in English football's top four tiers by Marcus Maddison, Leroy Sane, Graham Carey and Raheem Sterling.

*West Ham's Mark Noble has scored 22 penalties in the Premier League since his debut in August 2005. Only Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Sergio Aguero and Wayne Rooney have scored more in that period.

Not surprised about the Noble one, but I am about the Snodgrass one. Decent considering he doesn’t always get a game.
Milijelovic will catch up soon but he gets to take one every game
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

TommyHammer wrote:I actually thought Masuaku was pretty decent when he came on yesterday.
This! My heart sank when I saw him coming on BUT got to give him credit, he actually ran with the ball, did some decent runs, got stuck in and played with intelligence. Something he’s not done for a long time!

To be honest I couldn’t fault anyone yesterday!
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1676 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Derby Hammer wrote:Two interesting facts in the BBC’s match report...

14 of those assists did come in the championship last season but still impressive stats.
Derby Hammer
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Derby Hammer »

EastleighHammer16 wrote:14 of those assists did come in the championship last season but still impressive stats.
I did wonder how many were last season.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

[youtube]"https://www.youtube.com/embed/oYJ5MGFezDM"[/youtube]
More in it than MotD's effort last evening.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

I swear on my life I think I saw Ben Johnson in the toilet at the game yesterday :lol:
mushy
Has liked: 656 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

TommyHammer wrote:I actually thought Masuaku was pretty decent when he came on yesterday.
Me too, disappointed with the reaction of some of our fans when he came on.
The vile abuse we give our own makes me ashamed at times. Has improved a lot since the stubbing he got from Sterling earlier in the season.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Newcastle Utd
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133323
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Newcastle Utd

Cheers.
"Just found out Lawro had us down for a win, no wonder we lost."
- Kevin Carr's Gloves
:)
Rowly
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Rowly »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Newcastle Utd

Cheers.
S-H wrote:"Just found out Lawro had us down for a win, no wonder we lost."
- Kevin Carr's Gloves
Beat me to it S-H! :lol: