West Ham Utd 4-3 Huddersfield Town (16/03/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1663 likes

Re: ⚽West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: match thread (16/3)

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

hammer1975 wrote:Thinking back to our good run in December - didn’t we win most of the games just by having a 20 minute purple patch in each one?

think bubbles pointed that out during the run....

now we are not having that purple patch we are what we always pretty much were...bang average to downright awful.
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 874 likes

Post by mushy »

The purple patch thing is true, we dont dominate any match really do we?

Not the way we have been run ragged in some games this season anyway.
It was a thing that we started playing a high tempo pressing game for about 5 mins before half time and fifteen minutes after, especially at home. That seems to have gone now.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Just watched last nights motd. On first!, but there were only 3 games :D
Such a West Ham game. Been a few like it, over the years. Very enjoyable, in the end..
On our day, West Ham can beat ANYONE. On another day, West Ham can lose to ANYONE.
THAT, is 'The West Ham way'. I think it always has been.

Been thinking for quite a while now though, that as a team/squad, we seem to be like 'Frankenstein's Monster', only we are 'Sullivan's Monster'.
Got some good parts along with some not so good parts.
Sometimes we look wonderful, more usually we look f**king awful..
Until ALL of the parts are good, we're going to continue to stagger around with little coherence to our plans, one match beating someone we shouldn't be, the next match losing to someone we shouldn't be...

Goal difference watch: -5 with 7 games left..looking at some of those games, I'm not sure we're going to reach 0, let alone +...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1663 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

mushy

the only thing I find consistent is that we ain't !!!!!

:D

Arnie was "on fire" as was Anderson.

that seemed to pretty much stop around the end of December maybe ??

after the Wimbledon game and the fallout of Chinagate, we reverted to norm.

Anderson hasn't scored I think in a while, Arnie isn't playing as well as he was, the midfield is either pretty decent or overrun and the full backs and CB's are brilliant one week (Oggie being a stalwart and Diop being the find of the century) to yesterday and Cardiff.

two teams who we shouldn't "expect" to beat, but if we have any earnest designs on fighting for a Euro spot, we "should."

and in searching for the answer all we get told is "You haven't been supporting West Ham for long have you..."

in the context of human kind, probably not - but I think for about 65 of my 70 years pretty much says I have.

doesn't stop me from wanting a Unicorn for Christmas either....

:D
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Well at least it was entertaining :D

A little defence for our boys was that Huddersfield know they are doomed, the weight has somewhat lifted off their shoulders and they were playing no pressure football. Saying all that we let in 3 and could / should have been more, so it wasn't our finest 90 minutes to say the least.

We got out danglies out the fire, just...
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

It has to be said that our defence was shocking and as much as we have our favourites, Diop was actually responsible for two of the goals we let in as far as i could see. And in his defence, at least Ogbonna scored a goal too but i'm sure there are some who will still blame him. It was 70 minutes of pulling our hair out because we were that abysmal, we looked like we'd never played together before, it was awful to watch and i can fully understand huddersfield fans feeling gutted they lost. Although they did look spent as soon as we had scored our second.
Arnie was a complete and utter waste of space and it gets to something when i'd rather even play Perez ahead of him after Chicharito.
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 874 likes

Post by mushy »

Cuenca,
We had our best run of the season in December, Arnie was missing.
To me, the rot started at the end of December when we played Burnley away. (was this Arnies comeback game?).
Burnley away we were not even in it, this to me was the first time this season it had happened (am not counting Liverpool away), this set a pattern, other games we were never in it were Bournemouth, Cardiff, Wolves, City and half a game v Palace , all away games where we simply didnt show up.
You can also chuck in the Wimbledon away cup game, despite some too late effort in the game.
During this period from end December onwards we have in my humble opinion put in two good all round performances , Arsenal and Liverpool at home.

The reasons for the above? Well Arnie seems the clear scapegoat but remember we have been largely gash with or without him. Is it an attitude thing? Am not sure about this either, Cardiff away the team didnt seem all that bothered apparently (I missed this match).
Have opposition coaches have just worked us out as being a bit slow and pedestrian at times due to an ageing squad. Wolves away we just got run off the park (they also had a lot more skill then us), Wolves away was a game where it literally looked like men against boys, or more accurately men against old boys.
We played well first half v Palace away, but once Woy had made a few tactical half time changes we disappeared up our own backsides again, cant even remember having a shot second half. Again the difference was fit and fast midfield players simply running our own midfield into the ground.
My current conclusion is that the midfield trio of Rice, Snodgrass and Noble do not have the pace, or the legs to compete with the majority of other Premiership teams, if you then combine this with Anderson having one of his many cant really be arsed days, then we really do look complete crap.
The problem with the above is that it means we need at least 2 midfield players to make us tick again, add to that the four forwards we are about to replace, the call (on this site) for new full backs and centre halves, then we really do have an issue this summer. With an apparent £25 mill to spend plus any scraps from player sales we look in real trouble. I can see things getting worse before they get any better.

PS you can have my unicorn, they are also not as good as they are cracked up to be.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

hammer1975 wrote:Thinking back to our good run in December - didn’t we win most of the games just by having a 20 minute purple patch in each one?
We've got players who can have a decisive impact if they all turn it on for a brief spell.

Our best performances this season have been Everton, Man U, Burnley (h) and Southampton, imo. I also felt we were very good at Leicester.

In December we played teams that were rubbish.

This season's Huddersfield and Fulham are two of the worst teams to have ever played in the Premier League.
Estuary
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by Estuary »

Not pretty at all that. Our go to guys had bad games up until we scored from that corner, Diop, Rice, Cresswell were all poor. Anderson couldn’t find a pass, Arnie looks like he is two or three games short of sharpness. The suds changed everything, Nasri made simple and effective passes, kept the ball and pushed forward, Chica added energy to the attack and Huddersfield dropped off as Pritchard and Grants hold on the play disappeared. Nasri won a 50/50 which we were not doing previously, and crossed with accuracy for Chica to do what he does, find the only space in a crowded six yard box. Anderson was more involved now and demanded a short corner from Cresswell, fluffed it, got the ball back and found a decent short ball onto Chicas canister, the finest of flicks and that was that.
For 75 mins we were awful, for the next 18 we took control and won because two of our better players turned up and that was enough.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

GaryP wrote: Just texted my mate sating I have never been so ****ing angry aftter a win in my entire life.
Hull. Probably due to Big Sam.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

mushy wrote:PS you can have my unicorn, they are also not as good as they are cracked up to be.
I dunno, they always give me the horn..
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3496 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Huddersfield Town
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133369
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9648 likes

Post by S-H »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Huddersfield Town
They're a good bunch.

Hopefully they will be back soon.
61dicksey
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

“ eat Museli until,he shits himself” :lol: brilliant
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

61dicksey wrote:“ eat Museli until,he shits himself” :lol: brilliant
That made me chuckle as well :lol:

Yep, good bunch.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

61dicksey wrote:“ eat Museli until,he shits himself” :lol: brilliant
:thup:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Huddersfield Town
Decent OV :D In Grant and Bacuna they've got a pair of talented youngsters who should do well for them next season.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Fair play to them. I did spare a thought for them on their long journey home.
For a moment it was all going so well. 3-1 up and taunting us with 'we want four' chants.

It was almost West Ham'like the way it then all fell apart for them.

I wish them well but I would like to see them drop down and don't personally wish to see them back. Any team that can't take 50% of their full allocation for a 3pm Saturday game in the prem is questionable in my eyes.
ayriron
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ayriron »

still cant get my head round that game, certainly entertaining, on another note thanks to the fans quick to help me get my missus up after she fell full length on way back to station arm swelled up and now confirmed broken elbow ,certainly will never forget that matchday
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

http://fullmatchsports.com/west-ham-uni ... ull-match/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally up to download