West Ham Utd 4-3 Huddersfield Town (16/03/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Re: ⚽West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: match thread (16/3)

Post by Wilko1304 »

I rate Billing. Now that we've got the three points, I'm happy Grant was the one who got the brace against us. Good to see a player able to make some impact stepping up from League One and at 21 years old.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Marky wrote:Any Huddersfield players we should sign ?
No.

We need to remember that they are bottom of the league, and have been on target to be the worst ever attack to have ever played in the premier league - until they played us.

We need to focus on players that would get us to top 6/7 level and clear out the perpetually weak parts of our team. If Pellegrini is going to play four at the back and just one or two in central midfield we need to buy a minimum of three good defensive/competitive players. I didn't see that in any of theirs who played yesterday.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Burnley Hammer wrote:Antonio and Zabaleta had the worst pass success in the team. Antonios was actually pretty shocking at 52%.
Often has the poorest pass accuracy in the side. It's not really his game, but when it's at that level (around the fifties) then he's losing it too much to make up for it with his strengths.

Cardiff was 52% too. Once in the last 5 games over 70% (an appearance WhoScored gave him MOTM and one of his better performances this season) and overall this season it's 68%. It isn't good enough, it's only Perez, Carroll and Fabianski lower. The kind of thing that turns him into a disposable squad player.
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

I notice the only result got wrong by the sky super six winner was ours, bet he was gutted he had Huddersfield to win 3-1
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I think Billing is a player we could certainly consider. I appreciate he didn't do well yesterday but is only young.
Grant was a striker who got a lot of plaudits at Charlton and think he will end up playing regularly in the Premier League at some point. He reminds me a bit of Callum Wilson
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

old fart wrote:I notice the only result got wrong by the sky super six winner was ours, bet he was gutted he had Huddersfield to win 3-1

I had huddersfield to win 3-1 on mine..

:D
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Just said on Goals on Sunday that we have gained the most points (15) from losing positions in the premier league.

I'm sure the pessimists amongst us (cuenca :wink: ) will moan that we go behind to often, where I'd prefer to look at it that we have a great spirit in the team, to keep coming back from losing positions.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Jon »

MP spoke a while back of having a 'big club mentality'.

He clearly knows better how to prepare us for the top 6 games. Big clubs are often jusdged in those games against each other. They then roll over the lesser teams.

But does he get us? We're a mid table side and have been for decades. We are well capable of getting turned over at Cardiff and then beating Arsenal. That's the story of our lives. We are NOT a successful 1st division side and never have been.

He was genuinely shocked by the Wimbledon result. Why???? Hopefully he'll soon realise who we are and that we cannot expect to beat anyone, EVER!
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

S-H wrote:Just said on Goals on Sunday that we have gained the most points (15) from losing positions in the premier league.
That's probably because the good teams don't often go behind in the first place.
And it emphasises, as you said yourself, just how often we do go behind - especially when you add the 13 league games that we didn't manage a come back!
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Jon wrote:But does he get us? We're a mid table side and have been for decades. We are well capable of getting turned over at Cardiff and then beating Arsenal. That's the story of our lives. We are NOT a successful 1st division side and never have been.

He was genuinely shocked by the Wimbledon result. Why???? Hopefully he'll soon realise who we are and that we cannot expect to beat anyone, EVER!
Villarreal and Mallorca would probably fall into a similar category as us. I think that's why he got the job here, because he had good previous with lesser teams, as well as success with top teams.
kevino
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by kevino »

At least yesterday's game will live a bit longer in the memory than a straightforward and dull 2-0 win!
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

[quote="bubbles1966"

No.

We need to remember that they are bottom of the league, and have been on target to be the worst ever attack to have ever played in the premier league - until they played us.

We need to focus on players that would get us to top 6/7 level and clear out the perpetually weak parts of our team. If Pellegrini is going to play four at the back and just one or two in central midfield we need to buy a minimum of three good defensive/competitive players. I didn't see that in any of theirs who played yesterday.[/quote]

I agree with you on Huddersfield but aware Liverpool signed Andy Robertson and Wijnaldium from relegated teams.
I think Fulham, Cardiff and Huddersfield will go and I can’t see that player in their squad.
anglianhammer

Post by anglianhammer »

I'd just like to congratulate the gentleman sitting behind me in block 205 who, aiming his ire at Pellegrini in particular and the team in general, must have smashed the world record for screaming the f-word the most times in one minute when Arnie was substituted. Unfortunately I didn't hear his comments at the end of the match!
Ingwe
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ingwe »

Jon wrote:MP spoke a while back of having a 'big club mentality'.

He clearly knows better how to prepare us for the top 6 games. Big clubs are often jusdged in those games against each other. They then roll over the lesser teams.

But does he get us? We're a mid table side and have been for decades. We are well capable of getting turned over at Cardiff and then beating Arsenal. That's the story of our lives. We are NOT a successful 1st division side and never have been.

This, 100%.
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1150 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

It wouldn’t surprise me if Pellegrini said the 2-0 at home to Newcastle was one of his favourite results. It was the kind of completely forgettable, in cruise control, keep posssession wins I can remember at the LS....but the kind of game that ‘big clubs’ have many of each season.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

For the majority of the game we made Huddersfield look like Huddcelona.
I don't think we should ever consider signing players based on their performances against us.
Think "Andre Ayew"!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I'd half-forgotten all about him!

Didn't even make the bench for Swans last evening, although he may be injured?
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we were poor but git away with it because they are a bad side.
our midfield was outplayed by theirs.
noble couldn't get near anyone most of the time leaving rice exposed.
arnie couldn't be bothered looking to flick or lay off the ball. where has the arnie of old gone. he must be sold in the summer if that is how he is going to play .
zabaleta was generally poor but overlapped well. he is getting done for pace too easily as he cant get back. time to look elsewhere for our RB.
LB- cresswell comes inside too often

overall a great fight back against the mighty Huddersfield, the easiest of opposition. the warning bells are ringing. everton Chelsea man utd spurs wont be so easy !

however lets be pleased with the win and an entertaining game !
Roby
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Post by Roby »

prophet:marginal wrote:I'd half-forgotten all about him!

Didn't even make the bench for Swans last evening, although he may be injured?
They loaned him out to Fenerbache for the season after they got relegated.

We did well to sell him whilst we still could get a decent fee back. Very rare transfer acumen showed by us for a change.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BxcI_3QGhjM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]