West Ham Utd 0-2 Everton (30/03/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Everton: match thread (30/03)

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

hammer

two RBs who cost nowt

2 LBs who cost 10M between them
traxop

Post by traxop »

Colours never run wrote:We lacked real Leadership out there from the word go. **** knows why the Captain was dropped and left on the bench. We still struggle to win games without Noble playing....
Pretty sure the commentators touched on it. Noble left on the bench due to personal(family) reasons.

We did miss someone like him, someone willing to form the third point in a triangle in our half so we can actually build up play.

All I saw today in the second half was defense to our Fullbacks, Fullbacks to Rice, Rice back to the Fullback again, Fullback with no option down the line because Antonio and Diagana are either so far again from our Fullback that they have to hit it long or when they(Antonio/Diagana) were close enough to receive the pass, they inevitably conspire to lose the ball by trying to run through half the Everton defense, thus opening ourselves for yet another counter attack.

Today's play is as bad as any of the worst games we had under Moyes and Bilic. Where was the support play and build up play from the midfield out. That was not a Pellegrini team out there today.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:too f**king many
Ain't that the truth, C.
westhamlinnet
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by westhamlinnet »

Firstly credit to Everton who looked an excellent side well organised and determined. Our tactics were at best confusing. Why start with Perez. Obiang is a poor player who has the very the odd 7 out of 10 game. Is a 10 per cent rise in season tickets justified watching him and snodgrass toiling in midfield. We missed nasri and Anderson. We are crying out for a box to box midfield player as we have for the last 2 seasons. Pellegrini has bought some good players but the buying of injury prone wilshere and yarmolenko was asking for trouble and Sanchez at his age baffling. We need an injection of younger players they cost money and with our owners no chance. We have been sold a dream by moving grounds but nothing has been achieved that could not have been done at Upton Park .
gouldie

Post by gouldie »

Was inevitable really, the fifth time this season we had a chance to go 7th and suprise suprise we bottle it again. The team selection was baffling.
Boom Kid
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Boom Kid »

I think we need a new manager :(
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Boom Kid wrote:I think we need a new manager :(

Yep. He needs a massive budget to play his way. No pragmatism
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Everton looked a decent side.

I cannot fathom how our ten outfield players are paid professionals. Every bit as bad as the Wimbledon fiasco.

Come back Anderson, I think even your detractors might acknowledge were a much better side with you.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:hammer

two RBs who cost nowt

2 LBs who cost 10M between them
and as long as I have a hole in my bottom Masuaku is not a left back. buying a left back from the greek leagues where his team basically had 60% possession every game and his average position was in the opposition half was symptomatic of us not wanting to really spend on defensive players.

I got caned for saying we should have got Charlie Taylor instead. much better defender
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

God, where to start....

The defending, and the being too open at the back... I was willing to accept that if it also meant quality entertaining attacking play. And that's the bit that I'm struggling with. A Pellegrini team that can't create chances or pass the ball properly.

I'll state that I don't think that Pellegrini is past it, and I was delighted with him coming in as manager. I think he does care and he's not just here for the money. He's just struggling at the moment with the worst squad he's ever had to manage in terms of ability. We patched a few things up in the summer but there's a long way to go yet.

The problem at the moment is that we have far too many players who's heart isn't in it. Who are just waiting until the summer so they can get a move away. The likes of obiang, masuaku, arnie, hernandez, perez. It can't be good to have so many players who don't really want to be there. If we want things to improve behind the scenes in terms of team spirit then these players need to be shifted in the summer.

Of the rest... Antonio is one of the few with real pace but he's absolutely not a Pellegrini type player, and neither is Snodgrass. Both are not the standard of player we need if we want to finish above 10th. Noble is usually reliable but he's increasingly struggling with the ever frantic pace of todays game. Zab is knackered. Cresswell is a wet lettuce. Ogbonna and Diop, regardless of how good they are individually, struggle as a unit. The partnership never looks organised. Balbuena has to come back in... and I'm not actually sure who I'd drop now. Very disappointing lack of strength from Diop for the first goal today... I expected more from a giant like him.

Lanzini... I'm hoping that he can get back to his best with a full pre season under him. One thing he used to be was smart in possession. Always had one of the best passing stats in the team. Today he was incredibly sloppy in possession (as was everybody to be fair). One thing Lanzini isn't is a traditional number 10. I don't believe he's particularly creative, I don't think he scores enough, and I don't think he puts himself around enough. He needs to do a lot more in terms of closing players down and putting a foot in.

And that's a big problem for us... we only actually have 2 proper creative players in the whole squad in my opinion. Anderson and Nasri. If we let Nasri go as people are suggesting then we have 1. Without either of those players in the team, we are completely toothless and incredibly easy to deal with.

Everton showed today how effective it is when you have attacking players who actually work hard and put in a good shift closing players down and getting tackles in. Liverpool and Man City are thriving from the same type of play. In todays game, you can't accommodate players anymore that offer nothing put pretty passes and attacking play. Everybody needs to put in a shift. But our problem goes much further than that. It's the whole team at the moment that aren't putting in enough of a shift. They honestly look like they don't care. I noticed the amount of times today that Everton players broke into a sprint. It was all the time. It shows the urgency and the commitment that those Everton players have. Their desire to play and get a result. I didn't see any of that with our players. We attack slowly and then run back to defence slowly. Players rarely seem to break into a sprint... it's just 90 minutes of energy saving jogging. You cannot compete like that. Even teh likes of Harry Arter put our players to shame recently in terms of commitment.

I honestly believe that there's going to be a big clearout this summer. Pellegrini knows that he needs much better than what he has at the moment... and he needs funds. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of big players sold.

We need full backs, we need another solid no nonsense option in defence, we need energy and pace and commitment in midfield, we need an effective striker, and we need better footballers attacking. Anderson can't carry the burden all through next season too. There's a lot that has to change, and getting rid of those that want out is the place to start.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Hammerite wrote: Really can't feel bothered about missing Europe, GC.
How far would this team have got in sunny July, anyway...

Marbella?
Talking of holidays, that mid season spanish breaks worked a treat..
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Is a squad packed with players whose heart isn't in it or who don't want to be here a league wide phenomenon, or is it just us?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Lanzinis problem right now, is he's clearly not up to speed with the intensity of the Prem after so long out. It's one thing coming off the bench eased back in more gently, having an impact on games whilst the opposition are flagging, but starting him expecting him to be bang at it is asking too much of him right now. His touch, decision making, radar are all way off and it's understandable. I'd return him to the bench to find his feet still for now.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

There is no point trying to analyse that, it's like trying to polish a turd. Everton were better than us in ever respect.

The manager and players are stealing a living at the moment. This performance, as bad as it was, is certainly not a one off.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Beavis Danzig wrote:the whole last hour felt like when you're 4-0 down and two minutes into stoppage time.
I was thinking that, very strange mentality from the players on the pitch today.
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

Will someone please confirm to me what I just watched. :fsake:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Rasp wrote:Will someone please confirm to me what I just watched. :fsake:
Zabaleta, Obiang and Perez make their last ever starts for the club? Arnautovic too, if I had any input...
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

All the players bar Fab and Rice and Antonio (who was trying to make runs at their players ) were rubbish today. One thing you can't do against Everton is stop running to make space for a pass. Our players were running into spaces, then just stopping, making the pass impossible which is why we went sideways/backwards. We need fitter players with more grit and stamina not pansies who lose the ball and then just give up tracking back. Its obvious we need a major clear out of a large number of players and I trust Pellegrini in the transfer market. Arnie, Chico, Obiang, Masuaku, Adrian, AC, Perez, Zab are just dead wood now. Maybe even Reid and Lanzini need moving out only because Reid is past his best and will never recover fully from such a bad injury. Lanzini has skill but seems too much of a soft-touch for the Prem and would probably fare better in a less physical league elsewhere.
WeallwantMoore

Post by WeallwantMoore »

What’s scary is how paceless we looked everywhere on the pitch...Everton looked so much quicker on and off the ball...
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Everton have steeped it up of late, they play the same pressing game the top three play with forwards willing to put in a shift chasing down the ball. It's all about effort, desire and confidence ... after 10 minutes we showed none of those things ... Pellegrini summed it up "We had a complete disaster, both attacking and defending. Without a doubt it was the worst performance of the year." but why?

Arnautovic scored twice in the International break, doubt he's had that many shots on target for us since his contract extension in January. Rice looked like he's never played with his teammates before, is that a hangover from two weeks with far better players? Have we truly become a feeder club for young talent and a pay-day for journeymen footballers?

Look at who didn't play Noble, Anderson, Wilshere, Nasri, Reid, Sanchez, Carroll, Yarmolenko but that's not an excuse that's the problem, it's a pretty safe bet that all those players are 50-50 at best to be available most weeks, you can carry one or two ageing injury prone players but not 30% of your squad.

As for the fans ... we had nothing to get behind, the game was dead almost from the kick off ... just three attempts on goal and only one on target that's never getting the crowd going, and despite Pellegrini's comments this week we are not creating 'fortress London Stadium' you need a team with passion and pride to do that, the loudest we managed was booing the team off at 45 and 90 minutes.

We have our 60,000 stadium, we turn up in huge numbers, we are hammers through and through ... we deserve so much better than GSB will ever deliver ... it's the hope that kills you, but it's even worse when that hope is just crushed out of you ... isn't that what GSB are doing to us?