West Ham Utd 0-2 Everton (30/03/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Patito

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Everton: match thread (30/03)

Post by Patito »

hammerleroy wrote:Given everything that has happened this season 12th to 14th is about right IMO. Anyone think we'll get another point? :(
I'd have thought we'll get at least one point mate :D
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by steps »

S-H wrote:Have we ever played well on BT Sport?

Seems like every time I've seen us on BT this season, not only have we lost, but we have been woeful!!

I'm probably wrong, but my memory on goes back as far as the Wimbledon game..
BT Sport aside, Pellegrini said in his PC that Saturday was our worst performance this season.

I’m not so sure, there’s been some awful ones when you think about it:

Wimberldon away in the FA Cup. 4-2

Wolves away. 3-0

Burnley away. 2-0

Cardiff away. 2-0

Bournemouth away. 2-0

Watford home. 0-2

Man City home. 0-4

Can probably discount that last one as Man City were in blistering form and simply taking teams apart at the time. But the other games were all against teams we should be competing with or beating (maybe), and were pretty much played off the park IIRC.
hxhammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by hxhammer »

So in the wake of one of the most abject performances i've witnessed in over 40 years of watching West Ham, my nice glossy, Club London renewal pack has arrived, asking me for more money?

That is now filed with the other junk mail we get on a Monday

As another poster pointed out, 3 years into our brave new world and we are nowhere near the "next level" the thieving bast&ards have ruined us
Estuary
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Estuary »

t goes beyond just Cresswell being targetted. It's the entire left hand side of the pitch defensively that constantly gets exposed. Ever since Balbuena got injured and Diop had to shift across from his preferred established position, we have never looked convincing defensively as a unit. We suffered the same fate time and again when Reid was asked to shift just so we could accommodate one unconvincing player. Ogbonna finally needs moving on this summer if we are to ever shore up a leaky defence ever since he's been here. It's of no coincidence regardless of who he plays with, we always look like conceding and it doesn't matter who's in goal.
The performance on Sat had less to do with our central defense, and all to do with our woeful one man midfield. Everton over ran us, both through the middle and down the flanks, Lanzini is not a wide player in a four, nor is Cresswell, and Obiang isn't good enough at this level full stop and if Pellegrini thinks they are he is going to get us relegated, if not this season that certainly next.
Anruatovic needs to play with a ten tucked in near him, that's when he is effective, Lanzini (when fit which he isn't) or Nasri is ideal for that role.

But lets be honest we have been poor since Pellers has had to pick from a squad. When he had fewer players and the team pretty much picked itself from those available we did much better, which tells me a lot.
Last edited by Estuary on Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graza

Post by Graza »

steps wrote:
Can probably discount that last one as Man City were in blistering form and simply taking teams apart at the time. But the other games were all against teams we should be competing with or beating (maybe), and were pretty much played off the park IIRC.
We have put in some properly half arsed performances this year, and some like Saturday where not a single f*** was given by our players.

All this horseshit about a "big club mentality", it's pathetic really when you look at the performances that accompany those results you mention. Even taking away the first 4 games where we were incorporating new players and a new style from a new manager there are plenty of stinkers. Usually whenever we've got an opportunity to kick on. In fact the two things that have really annoyed me this season are

1) how slowly we start - Fulham should have been 3 up by the time they scored their first, and we have a habbit of conceeding early chances and goals.
2) how whenever we are on a bit of a run, some results go our way and a path to 7th (even 6th earlier in the season) we play a mid to lower table team and put in one of these lazy performances.

For me both are probably traceable to the manager. If the players are asleep for the first 10 of every half, what is he telling them before they go out? When we are playing one of the teams around us or below us what is the training intensity like? What is the message he's drilling into them before the match? Whatever it is, it's consistently failing and he needs to change it. This isn't a one off blip where we've failed to show up, it's a pattern that anyone can see, and if we can see it why can't he? And if he can see it he needs to do something different to try and combat it.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

steps wrote: Pellegrini said in his PC that Saturday was our worst performance this season.
Certainly our worst at home as far as I am concerned, and I'd also say it was Pellegrini's worst game since joining us. Countless questionable choices with regards to formation and playing staff.

He wasn't helped by more than a few of our lads playing as though they already have one foot out of the door, but he did make some very strange choices from the off.

Fabianski and the back four pretty much pick themselves.
Rice cannot play in the middle with just one other player. He needs two out and out CM's in there with him otherwise he just has far too much to do.
Antonio is a far better wide right than Snodgrass, neither are really suited to playing right of a four man midfield. Lanzini isn't at all suited to playing wide of a four man midfield.
Perez has not shown anything at all since being here to justify getting a start and both he and Arnautovic played as though they already have deals agreed elsewhere next season.

We just got it all so totally wrong.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

sutts07 wrote: he did make some very strange choices from the off.
I agree on that.

I just don't understand why he is persisting with Arnie and Perez, (both wanted out in January) dropping Hernandez who has played better and scored twice last time out, Is there something going on behind the scenes I wonder, Is it possible Arnautovic had a playing clause in his improved contract, You wouldn't put it past Sullivan to do something like that.

Whatever is going on, it's not been right since the New Year, when before it appeared that we had turned a corner and were heading in the right direction, now it's as if some players have downed tools (for whatever reason) and we are limping or rather crawling towards the finish line.

Maybe a good clear out is needed, and we start again next season especially now the boss has a clear idea of the job he's got on his hands.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

steps wrote:
BT Sport aside, Pellegrini said in his PC that Saturday was our worst performance this season.

I’m not so sure, there’s been some awful ones when you think about it:

Wimberldon away in the FA Cup. 4-2

Wolves away. 3-0

Burnley away. 2-0

Cardiff away. 2-0

Bournemouth away. 2-0

Watford home. 0-2

Man City home. 0-4

I didn't see the Wolves away game so can't comment on that, but personally thought we were worse on Saturday compared to the others
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

On the subject of player ratings, I see The Times gave Perez a 1 out of 10 :lol:
mike1961
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by mike1961 »

There is a logic to starting with Perez and Arnie: they are the 2 players with most to prove (but they failed to prove it, as usual).
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

mike1961 wrote:There is a logic to starting with Perez and Arnie: they are the 2 players with most to prove (but they failed to prove it, as usual).
to me, the issues wasn't so much as the starting players but the formation
Perez and Antonio either side of Arnie with Snodgrass in midfield would have been much better
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Spotted in the away end on Saturday... #siddown

S-H

Post by S-H »

Big lad should know better, car keys, wallet, and phone were no where to be seen at 90mins.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Everton
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133409
hammerddh
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hammerddh »

the young lad up front for Everton impresses me every time i see him play.
Probably not the most natural finisher but he leads the line really well for one with so little games behind him.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Everton
Some deluded nonsense about how they should routinely beat us, but other than that reflective of reality. We were **** and never looked like we wanted it. They were professional and played well. They should have won by more.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Yeah.. think I'll give this one a swerve.
asters89
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by asters89 »

Had to sell my ticket to this as I was at a wedding which I was pretty gutted about. Until I saw the line up. Perez and Obiang starting is a recipe for a half arsed performance.

Won't be surprised if he turns up at my house demanding his money back...
S-H

Post by S-H »

Would he still give players like Obiang and Perez a chance if we had a squad full of fitter, better players?

Is it a case of needs must, is he too nice, or is he to trusting in these lazy, uninterested, bottle jobs?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

That Everton fans comment about Robert Snodgrass being 'absolute horrendous.' was being kind on him