West Ham Utd 2-2 Leicester City (20/04/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leicester City: match thread (20/04)

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

bowltorious wrote:Haven't seen it mentioned on here but regards to Harvey Barnes goal. I'll give eveyone one guess as to how many goals he's scored this season prior to that one :lol:
9 for West Brom :wink:
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Linesman made a mistake. It happens

The performance was more important for me
Name a few linesman calls that have gone in our favour this season and I'll agree with you.

Just saying "it happens" is ignoring something that affects us week after week, it's not a one off.

I'm interested to see what VAR does to improve things!
polar
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by polar »

Het-Field wrote:Enjoyed the day and the match.

Some good points, and some bad.

Arnie’s Performances convinced me that I hope we can convince another club to shell out the £35 Million that we could have had in January. Really poor body language, movement, and effort today, and it wasn’t about being isolated, as Perez generally made the most of what was available to him.

Anderson is a cut above, and I thought was the outstanding player on the pitch. Antonio put in his best performance in a long time, and looked like his 2016 self, and showed a real desire.
Don’t think you can accuse Arnie of not putting in effort. He tried, its just not working for him, it shows he’s not a natural centre forward in terms of making runs into the box.
Diogenes
Has liked: 478 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Once again I was entertained We were by far the better side but once again gave away 2 very poor goals. The officials were absolute pants. Robbed us of a perfectly good goal and booked 2 of our players for innocuous challenges but failed to give any to Leicester despite a series of assualts on Antonio. Robbed.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

An enjoyable game with a couple of decent performances. Most notably Antonio although he should have got closer to chillwrll for their first goal. I thought noble was our best midfielder and was disappointed to see him taken off.
I’d say Leicester are in a better position than us. They have a young squad with bags of potential.
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

Anderson MotM

Special mentions to Zabaleta, Masuaku, Rice, Noble and Antonio.
Boom Kid
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Boom Kid »

Yet another f*** up by the officials and people wonder why I am fast getting fed up with football - I only want it fair - am I asking too much - no of course i'm not. Real pissed off with it all.
brothernero
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by brothernero »

Universidad-de-Chile wrote:Anderson MotM

:shock:
Patito

Post by Patito »

Anderson was certainly up there.
Antonio for me though :thup:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Linesman made a mistake. It happens
That was a difficult one to call for sure -

Maguire was going forward and the other Leicester player was going backwards towards goal and we had Perez in the middle - and then the Linesman has to keep his eye on the player passing the ball as well - Modern teams have got this sitting on the shoulder of the last man to such a fine art it's become almost impossible at times to call it right .....

Unless you're Top 6 of course .
goa127
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

I don't think there was much to be done to stop Leicester's first goal. It's a perfect ball in and Vardy just flashes it past Balbuena and fabianski. He's the best in the business at that sort of chance. As someone else said, if he'd been playing for us we'd scored 4 or 5 today. Really good day out with two very evenly matched teams playing decent football
traxop

Post by traxop »

brothernero wrote:42 points last season. 43 points this season with just 3 games left to play. (Spurs away, Saints Home & Watford away)

Anyone happy with that as progress with the money spent.

(Before anyone jumps the gun, I do not want Pellers sacked one little bit. I think he needs to be given more funds and time to build a team)
Given the chatter about recent decisions costing us points(5 in the last 2 games), if we were to re-frame the question as "42 points last season, 48 points this season with 3 games left to play", would that cast our season in a different light?

48 points would see as level on points for 7th(others have a game in hand), we would still be in contention for that spot. That's not even accounting for the some games where higher profile decisions have gone against us - the Liverpool offside goal, that Silva penalty in our away game at Man. City comes to mind.

We are as inconsistent as ever, but there has been progress. We've been competitive against the Big 6 this season. Apart from the very start where we conceded 4 to Liverpool and 3 to Arsenal whilst trying to implement our new high line defense for the very first time, we've kept the Big 6 quiet, the home game against City being the sole exception(a 4-0 loss). Contrast this with the last couple of seasons where we were regularly on the end of 4/5-nill drubbings.

Least we forget, our other performances against the Big 6 includes a draw against Chelsea when they were at their peak, in a game where Yarmolenko had the miss-of-the-season moment and our performance against Spurs had us joking about our luck in facing a peak Lloris rather than a drunken Lloris(he was caught drink driving around that time) as he made some worldie saves against Arnie that game to deny us at least a point.

People might say other teams will have their tales of games where the rub of the green was against team, and I'm sure that's true, but I'll be hard pressed to think of many teams where they weren't ruing their luck because of some subjective ruling. The most obvious example would be Cardiff's last couple of games where they had numerous penalty shouts turned down or overturned, but those are by the very nature subjective calls and opposite to the type of rulings that have disadvantaged us throughout this season.

Subjective vs. Objective calls, that's a difference there. One can be argued over, the other is a clear cut and binary right/wrong proposition.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

The football is vastly better this season. I thought that was the major moan about Moyes, he may get results but the football was boring.

Today showed up our problems all season, lack of concentration leading to defensive lapses, the lack of a clinical striker and a creative outlet other than Anderson.

Arthur generally had a good game for him but Barnes was his man, Ogbonna created a gap no-one filled it or equally went with or blocked off the runner. In injury time especially none of these should be allowed to happen.

Antonio scored one but how did he allow the defender to clear the one when he was goal side of him from Arnie’s cross? Hernandez may have scored that but would not have scored the one Antonio did. I agree on Antonio as man of the match because of his goal and effort but equally what did he create for others, as far as I can recall the few crosses he provided were not that great.

Equally Arnie got pretty much zero service, in fact save for the through ball from Obiang and cross from Noble, Anderson runs aside, I struggle to think of our midfield actually creating too much or us really troubling their keeper.

When the only real attacking threat is Anderson he is too easy to mark. Teams know that if they nullify him they take away a huge part of our game. It is why he needs to play with someone like Lanzini, Nasri or Yarmolenko who can take some of the burden and thus create more opportunities for him.

It was a vast step up on the Everton performance but our lack of defensive nous is worrying and we are really paying for the injuries to our other creative players.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Think people might be missing the point regarding the disallowed "goal" and VAR etc.

He scored it after the flag went up and the whistle had been blown. Surely VAR can't and won't change that?

Players should always play to the whistle and stop when it blows. What happens after a whistle has blown is surely beyond the scope of VAR's remit.

I understand that VAR can reverse a decision - but in this case, that decision was, was it offside or not.

As such, the referee did not disallow a goal. He blew for offside before any goal occured. It would be easy for Leicester to argue that once the whistle was blown, their players acted accordingly - albeit the keeper who did try to make a save.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

The Old Mile End wrote:As such, the referee did not disallow a goal. He blew for offside before any goal occured. It would be easy for Leicester to argue that once the whistle was blown, their players acted accordingly - albeit the keeper who did try to make a save.
Hmm, that's a very good point.
Var will clearly NOT prevent every travesty of justice, that occur in football matches.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1515 likes
Total likes: 3180 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

For 65 minutes, that was a very nice, very midtable game where only Antonio wanted to interrupt the chance to have a comfortable day.

When they scored, the game opened up and both teams played to win.

Antonio was comfortably man of the match, for me. Anderson arrived very late to the party, Masuaku showed some lovely moments, but it was all anbut too nice today. Everyone was allowed to play their games, whereas some steel and spite defensively might have won us that and stopped the Lino ruining it.

Ref let some good, but firm stuff go, which was a credit to him and the game.
Discobar

Post by Discobar »

Next season we get the goal. I'm happy that we are still fighting towards the end.
steps
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by steps »

The Old Mile End wrote:Think people might be missing the point regarding the disallowed "goal" and VAR etc.

He scored it after the flag went up and the whistle had been blown. Surely VAR can't and won't change that?.
This is how I see it really, I’m not sure how VAR would or could overturn that. Ok, yes Perez was clearly onside, the linemen incorrectly flagged but the Leicester keeper (or their defenders) could argue that they downed tools when the flag went up / ref blew the whistle.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, we’ve already seen that VAR doesn’t get decisions 100% correct re: Llorente’s handball goal midweek. At the end of the day it’s still down to human interpretation.

Apart from that decision, an enjoyable game really. Anderson has come out of his shell it seems in the last couple of weeks and looked a threat when he had the ball. Antonio also has been playing well of late.

I thought Fabianski could of done better with the Barnes goal. Quite gutting to comcede that late in the game, felt like a loss coming away from the ground.

On a positive note though, I was quite impressed with the carpet. :D
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

2-2 draw a fair result I thought. a good game and worth attending which is an improvement on last season.

another good game for Arthur, has the penny dropped finally for him ? we shall see at spurs.
midfield was again caught wanting again. we need a new DM to partner rice.
noble was playing well when he was taken off.
perez was surprisingly committed and did well.
arnie was not bothered and we should sell asap. I cant see anyone paying more than 25m for a disappointing 30 year old disruptive striker/wide player. whatever is offered we should take.

carpet was an improvement but doesn't mask the flaws in the ground or team
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Patito wrote:Anderson was certainly up there.
Antonio for me though :thup:
Thought Anderson was poor. Opinions eh