West Ham Utd 2-2 Leicester City (20/04/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Leicester City: match thread (20/04)

Post by Samba »

steps wrote:This theory will effectively do away with the job of a linesman though, if they’re going to use VAR to determine offside calls, what point is there in having linos running either side of the pitch?
I really think that someone in the VAR room should check in real time, every single offside situation. If they see one, they immediately hit a button that sends 240 volts up the lino's jacksy, thereby flinging their flag arm, high in the air & alerting the overworked & stressed out referee, that an offside has occurred.
The lino keeps their job & every decision from then on, would be correct.
Job's a good 'un.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

The lino in the first half was getting ready for that as he had a fondness for the corner flag at the BML/BBL end ! some weird pole rubbing occurring !
Estuary
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Estuary »

Robbed by poor officials for the second week in a row and the third time this season, and for the umpteenth season in a row. If you take the obvious, Liverpool (2pts), Man Utd (3pts) and Leicester on Sat (2pts) we have been reffed out of 7 points. You could throw in Man City away where we may have got a 1 point but for the dive of Silva.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Estuary wrote:Robbed by poor officials for the second week in a row and the third time this season, and for the umpteenth season in a row. If you take the obvious, Liverpool (2pts), Man Utd (3pts) and Leicester on Sat (2pts) we have been reffed out of 7 points. You could throw in Man City away where we may have got a 1 point but for the dive of Silva.
I am not saying everything evens itself out every season, but we did get the Hernandez handball v Fulham which changed the course of that game, and turned potentially 0 points into 3

Did we not also get the benefit of an offside goal v Man U at home? I can't remember for certain but sure there was talk of it at the time

I am sure there have been other decisions that have gone in our favour over the season, the non-penalty and then break away goal v Southampton for example?
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Gsbgsb wrote:Equally Arnie got pretty much zero service
MotD picked up on something tonight that I was beginning to think was just me knowing nothing about football anymore.
Arnie doesn't make the right runs - he's always dropping off when he should be attacking spaces in the box.
He then moans and gesticulates that he hasn't got the ball pulled back to him, but that's not the way wingers, fullbacks, strike partners and pretty much any other attacking player is taught to play.
He makes his teammates look inept because they have two options: cross into a dangerous space where there's nobody attacking (Arthur did this a couple of times), don't put in a dangerous cross because there's no-one there and instead look around for whoever is supposed to be there, by which time the momentum of attack is lost.

It was hard to criticise Arnie while he was scoring, but this was a problem even then. It's why sevreal people in the summer transfer thread said that teamwise we might score a lot more without our top scorer.
Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

WorcesterWHU wrote:However if we have VAR the lino is 100% not putting that flag up; the game will be allowed to run and they'll check it afterwards. The equivalent in cricket is a tight run out - there's no point calling something so tight on the field when the technology is there to (hopefully) get it right thereafter.
According to commentary teams at the time, the World Cup officials were instructed not to flag offsides if they weren't certain and just let the VAR official call it.

But that begs the question, what are linesman doing waving their flag for decisions they aren't certain about?

This was the easiest and most straightforward of offside calls: the ball played forward to an advanced attacker. The only thing the lino had to judge was whether or not that attacker was beyond the second to last defender.
Due to the attacker and defender running in opposite directions, if looked very close then it was more than likely onside. So if the linesman thought he was certainly offside then he has misjudged very badly. It's funny how they don't misjdge that badly against the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea.

It's such a poor decision, I can only believe as another poster suggested, the lino was trying to appease some wrongfully aggrieved Leicester defenders from the earlier goal. Maybe the lino had switched off for a split second on that goal and was doubting his decision, or lack of.
Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I am sure there have been other decisions that have gone in our favour over the season, the non-penalty and then break away goal v Southampton for example?
I can remember Diangana not getting a blatant penalty. I think it was Hernandez that probably should have had one too, and maybe a second for Diangana - who some started to accuse of being too lightweight before Salah started winning penalties for minimal contact.

I don't think the Hernandez handball equalizer in the 29th minute much changed the Fulham result - we had turned the game around before that (didn't Hernandez have a few penalty appeals from corners before his handball?). Fulham didn't implode and concede two more goals as a consequence of us equalizing with 60mins to go - they were very poor at the back and when their initial motivation had petered out / when we had woken up they were poor all over. They offered nothing for 70 or 80 minutes of that game.

There were other decisons that went against us that weren't pivotal or influential of the result (such as Man City's fourth at the OS being offside, and offside goal(s) for Livepool in the opening game).

The claim that these things even themselves out is a myth and a cop out - pundits trot it out to downplay the severity of a bad decision they've criticised, and managers say it when their team regularly benefits from poor decisions, to kid people into thinking the big names don't really get preferrential referreeing.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 754 likes
Total likes: 3481 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Leicester City
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133478
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Leicester City
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133478
Nearly all of that very fair IMHO
Although we had that decision go against us, I think a draw was probably a fair result overall.
What it goes to show is that fans of every club each think they are hard done by, whether it be decision on the pitch or bigger exposure/media issues!
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Isn’t it weird that all these away fans seem to hate the stadium?

Rather goes against the idea that lots of us do out of some sort of wilfull blindness.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 754 likes
Total likes: 3481 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Doc H Ball wrote:Isn’t it weird that all these away fans seem to hate the stadium?
And it is ALL.

Following every single home game there are negative comments from visiting fans regarding Stratford. Without fail.
Patito

Post by Patito »