Watford 1-4 West Ham Utd (12/05/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Re: ⚽ Watford v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by simon1982 »

A very frustrating season but an excellent finish. We blew 7th, considering the rubbish that beat us, the arnie self destruction and the cup exit.
Massive positives for next year is that we have the best holding midfielder in the league behind Fernandinho and the best centre half outside of city, Liverpool and spurs.
With a fully fit lanzini, yarmelenko and Wilshere (fingers crossed), aided by some new signings, should put us in a great position to have a good season.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

BoB_On wrote:Highlights

http://hlfc.veuclips.com/player/html/dH ... autoplay=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well in BoB
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Typical end of season fayre, with both sets of players half way to the airport mentally, but with us gaining an added advantage of Watford still having a cup final to play.

Never, ever a red card, had that been one of ours sent off we would have been rioting for weeks, and ultimately it was the moment the game stopped as a contest.

I thought our keeper was by far the busier in the opening 20 without ever looking like conceding, Noble though took the opening goal well.The Lanzini and Arnie tap ins were nice to see, players following in, like they should do.

A good result that lifted us in to the top half but lets not kid ourselves, the winners finished 46 points above us. Still, 10 points from the last 15 available is decent, and it's interesting to note how much our form improved when our signing of the season, Balbuena, was in the team.

The money on him and Fabianski has been the best value we've seen in recent years.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Puff Daddy wrote:I am a staunch believer in the old adage, you take the previous season's end of season form going into the new campaign. '
You might be a staunch believer in that old adage , Puff but no one's told the West Ham players - last season under David Moyes we finished like Champions [ we often do ] but this season we lost our first four - if you go through a lot of our seasons we often finish well .

I get what you mean but after doing well in 85/86 we finished in 15th the following season .

I'll take each season as it comes but Pellegrini's managerial history points to him doing well next season , Top 6 I'd say .
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I know many on here don’t like him, but I bloody love Antonio!
Pentonville
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Pentonville »

Beautiful day out in Watford. Friendly club, friendly defence. Keep 10 out of the 11 playing today, but sell on Arnautovic. Not a team player, doesn't work hard enough, prima donna, disruptive influence, not fit to kiss the golden boots of Anderson.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
You might be a staunch believer in that old adage , Puff but no one's told the West Ham players - last season under David Moyes we finished like Champions [ we often do ] but this season we lost our first four - if you go through a lot of our seasons we often finish well .

I get what you mean but after doing well in 85/86 we finished in 15th the following season .

I'll take each season as it comes but Pellegrini's managerial history points to him doing well next season , Top 6 I'd say .

I don't know about top 6 but we ended this season on the coat tails of both Leicester and Everton. However those two will both strengthen over the summer and we will still need to challenge Arsenal and Man Utd in order to break into that domain, but if we buy wisely over the summer and those two don't significantly improve, then with further investment the following year, then we get close
Boom Kid
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Boom Kid »

[quote="HammerAl"]I know many on here don’t like him, but I bloody love Antonio!

So do I mate :thup:
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Zabaleta was awful when he came on. Worst I have ever seen him
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Very odd game. I thought Watford we the better team throughout the majority of the first half, with our 2 goals, especially the 2nd coming completely against the run off play. And Watford started off the 2nd half the strongest too with Zabaleta having by far his worst ever performance for us and considerably weakening us as soon as he was brought on for Fredericks.

Their red card and our 3rd goal, again against the run off play was the turning point and after that we were in cruise control and was pretty comfortable.

We played some lovely stuff when we did have our spells with Noble, Rice and Lanzini linking up well.

Anderson was quiet first half but turned it on in the 2nd half. Antonio worked his socks off.

Arnie had a bit of a frustrating game with not a lot going his way. But managed to get a good poacher's goal.

Watford I felt like did hold off a little bit from challenges, trying to avoid picking up any injuries.

Did anyone notice Fredericks wearing that tight blue tape on the back of his leg? So was he potentially not 100% fit when he started the game and we risked playing him, which eventually caught up on him? Wouldn't be surprised knowing us!

My MOTM and probably our player of the month, step forward Mr. Marky Noble :thup:

Our fans were absolutely superb today and in good form. Special mention for the funny chant at the woman standing next to our fans who looked like Arsene Wenger!
Marky

Post by Marky »

Fredericks picks up too many injuries which worries me. He needs a proper pre season
pennywisepeter

Post by pennywisepeter »

What was it that got thrown on the pitch both times we scored in the second half? First time it looked like a hot dog, and second time it looked like a double ended dildo... Declan Rice was in stitches throwing it back :lol:
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Really solid display by the team, bar poor Zabba. We have the beating of Watford, we have a better team. Just too many injuries and players misfiring throughout the season. Cut that out and we are competing 7-9th Well done West Ham
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Great win but will go to my grave convinced that the sulky Austrian and his dickhead brother cost us our shot at 7th
Marky

Post by Marky »

I really do feel we need better songs for our players. Rice, Diop and Fabianski need more imaginative ones than the current offering.

I also think ‘Big Fat Frank’ song needs retiring
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

pennywisepeter wrote:What was it that got thrown on the pitch both times we scored in the second half? First time it looked like a hot dog, and second time it looked like a double ended dildo... Declan Rice was in stitches throwing it back :lol:
According to Eggs Jnr. 1 (he was there), it was a dildo. He said a few got chucked on the pitch.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Great way to sign off on the season.

But the work starts now.

Now we see if there is true ambition at the club.

Now we see if there is more to come.

Or if we go backwards.
Marky wrote:
I also think ‘Big Fat Frank’ song needs retiring
Depends if Derby make it up to the prem :lol:
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Women commentators....just doesn't work!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

said it in the Antonio thread but having watched MOTD he went down too easily for the penalty. would rather he didn't do that
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:said it in the Antonio thread but having watched MOTD he went down too easily for the penalty. would rather he didn't do that
Both agree and disagree at the same time. Until the two teams that finished 1st and 2nd players don't fall over at the slightest touch or tactically foul any player that breaks away against them I'll live with our players doin it.