PSF: Hertha Berlin 3-5 West Ham Utd (31/07/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3171 likes

Re: Hertha Berlin vs West Ham Utd: match thread (31/7)

Post by Wilko1304 »

Enjoyable, that's what we'll be. And frustrating too. I reckon we will swing wildly from awful to fantastic, and I'm all in for that. Mundane doesn't suit me, I want to have fun. Pellegrini fits the mould of what we claim to want because he wants to always be that team that goes for it.

Credit to the way we finished that game and finished our chances. Diangana in particular, that was really well taken. Hernandez also gets a shout for use of his body for Antonio's goal, a subtle bit of play.

Haller could well make a lot of these players tick. That's what I'm seeing, hopefully it happens consistently
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 613 likes

Post by NedN »

Just watched the replay of the goals. Don’t want to get too excited, but Grady’s awareness of Sanchez’s pass and first touch were top drawer.

Yes it was a great pass from Sanchez, but Grady took the ball across his body from a pass played from behind him, as he was running forward with pace (somehow he kept aware of exactly where the ball was and would be) and in one touch had set himself up without losing any speed.

Maybe this doesn’t seem like the biggest deal, but it’s a much harder move to execute than latching onto a ball played over the top or behind the line from more of an angle. Watch it again. Fingers crossed he keeps progressing.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

One bit that really tickled me was the sight of Masuaku throwing the ball innocuously to Ogbonna with no one within a mile radius of him, only for him to kick it out for a corner. So bad, I ****ing loved it! :lol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1964 likes
Total likes: 1649 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

didn't see the game (obviously as I was out :D ) but looking at the goals, awful defending from us for the first 2. third wasn't brilliant either but the first 2 were dreadful.

our first was well worked but the second was absolutely awful defending. everyone overloaded towards Haller and Lanzini could have landed a 757 with the space accorded him.

I understand that it is still pre season but the same errors continue to happen. FBs out of position, CBs not in the correct position and lack of communication.

Pellers needs to get it sorted post haste. it's not as if (other than Johnson) the back 4 haven't worked together in the past. having a different goalkeeper didn't cause Cresswell to get caught out, or Balbuena to fall over. looked like Johnson got beaten too easily and out of position for the 2nd.

3rd both their players had way too much time in the 18, cannot fault the keeper for that part of the game.

onward and hopefully upward.

I am not sure that Citeh will give us that much room, if they do, Pep won't be a happy camper.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2175 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I thought Berlin were on top of us a lot. They weren't vauxhall Astra or whoever we kept losing to in Europe but a decent team from a decent league. Apart from man City and Liverpool on top form we have a chance in any game. But do expect the odd sheff utd and Norwich defeat
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

bonzosbeard wrote:I thought Berlin were on top of us a lot. They weren't vauxhall Astra or whoever we kept losing to in Europe but a decent team from a decent league. Apart from man City and Liverpool on top form we have a chance in any game. But do expect the odd sheff utd and Norwich defeat
Burnley, Wolves and Brighton are still in the PL too ain't they ?

:D
Derby Hammer
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Derby Hammer »

I was at the game today sat on the half way line, some observations (I haven’t watched the goals back yet, so I might change my mind!)...

The first goal when Balbuena slipped over. A lot of players were slipping early on. Between the warm up and then coming back out to KO there was a downpour. It’s possible that a few of them were caught out by this/footwear.

Johnson panicked a bit at times, but he was left exposed with two men over a lot of the time. Anderson didn’t do a lot of covering. Anderson on the right and Lanzini on the left is a bit of a pre-season experiment I feel, but it’s not ideal for the full backs.

Last ditch tackling. From where I was it looked like Rice could’ve made a challenge for their second, but he didn’t go to ground. Probably an instruction for a friendly, but something he would do instinctively.

Haller is huge. Biggest player on the pitch. He showed some good footwork for the Lanzini goal, but it looked like it was in slow motion!

Our shorts. Far too tight for some of the players esp Johnson and Antonio.

Yes Sanchez lost the ball a couple of times, but he got stuck in well and went in hard. Berlin weren’t expecting that at all.

There weren’t many Brits at the game. Highlight was hearing two blokes chatting away (in possibly Slovakian or Hungarian) sounding like Julio Geordio (Fast Show), “He the, the the the the, lovely vision from Lanzini, he the the the the the.” :lol:

€3.50 for a pint. €2 a sandwich.

Antonio gave his boots to some lads who had been singing his name the whole time he was on the pitch.

Finally, if they read this. I hope the two gents from Canning Town, who we gave a lift to part of the way back after the game, got to Vienna ok.
mattyD
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by mattyD »

Let's hope Fabianski doesn't get injured.

the 2nd XI to come on looked good. Lanzini's gonna be the main man, get him a new contract asasp.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

mattyD wrote: . Lanzini's gonna be the main man
I suspected Fornals would bring the best back out of Lanzini and it's already materialising with some of the finishing he's producing. It's the gentle kick up the arse he's needed because he has been guilty of coasting a bit in the past. Now he'll want to prove he ain't yesterday's man now Fornals has rocked up as the new band in town. Just the proper competition a side wou'd want to push on.

Fornals already looks the b*llocks. Love the way he doesn't f*** about and makes the pass/takes the shot without much fuss.
Derby Hammer

Post by Derby Hammer »

No idea if this is the midfield Pellers is going to go with, but it seems he’s trying Anderson on the right and Lanzini on the left so that Fornals plays centrally. Not sure I agree with this, playing two good players out of their preferred position. IMO Lanzini and Fornals should be fighting it out for the advanced central position; Anderson on the left - his best position; with Yarmolenko, Antonio, Snodgrass, Diangana fighting over the right sided midfield role.

Our full backs looked quite exposed at times tonight.
Colours never run

Derby Hammer wrote:
..Our full backs looked quite exposed at times tonight.
It's the age old problem with us whenever we try to play 4231. There's a natural disconnect between those attacking and those in defence, which naturally leave acres of space for teams to attack and exploit. It's why I'm often against using it unless a Team has an outstanding defence that can cope most games. Clearly we don't have that and are often picked off down the flanks of our full backs. But of course, the upshot is we will be ultra good going forward when we do get the ball. As appealing as it is, I think I'd still prefer to go with our tried and trusted 433 mostly this season as I still don't believe we have a good enough defence to cope playing this system right now. 352 could have been worth a real go with these set of players, however the manager just doesn't feel it.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

or we could have bought that BBM that loads of us on here have been crying out for....
Colours never run

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:or we could have bought that BBM that loads of us on here have been crying out for....
A box to box midfielder doesn't solve covering 2 vast areas of space between both the wingers and full backs. The starting positions players take up means there's always going to be open spaces to exploit. The trick is having excellent defences and goal keepers to cope when under attack, or just throwing caution to the wind and hope you out score the opposition if you're clinical enough and creative enough in front of goal when you do have it. Chelsea used to be expert at it for years but then they did have the world class talents to cope at both ends. With our questionable full back positions, 4231 is a big risk for us defensively. Just hope we are a goal or two up before it gets exploited.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

a BBM alongside Rice would most certainly help close off spaces. if Wilshere turns out to play that position permanently - alongside Rice (or slightly ahead) then we'll see how it works out.

with the FBs that we have I feel sure that there's way too much for 1 DM to do.

we'll see.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Early on last season (I can't remember if carried it on to the end), when the fullbacks pushed up, Rice was dropping into defence between the two centrebacks to make a back three, and they moved over to cover the absent fullback when required.
I'm not sure how long that lasted (I think Rice started pushing up from midfield), or why we stopped. Possibly it was by accident rather than design. Or possibly the central midfield became too exposed.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Chip Korea wrote:Lanzini - does it whilst trying to push forward, not when he's the only thing in between two or three oppo attackers running at our CBs.
In fairness, Lanzini got caught in possession deep in midfield quite a few times at the end of last season, and at least one of those resulted in a very soft goal.
I think the difference here is that Lanzini started well for us, made a good first impression and won over a lot of fans before his shortcomings were found out.
A lot of fans had a negative opinion of Sanchez before he'd even pulled on a West Ham jersey. Unfortunately he made his mistake before he had an opportunity to win anybody round, and then had his injury. If he can make a contribution in the PL as he did last night he should get on the fans' good side.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1068 likes

Post by pezza20 »

I thought that was a very good game for a friendly, Hertha made some tasty challenges and were always on the high press.

Points I noted:

Johnson is young, and probably thrives on confidence. Yesterday he didn't start the game well with a couple of very loose passes and from there he seemed to lose a bit of spark. He got caught our of position a few times but also did quite a few good things too, but agree with most when he may have shown his inexperience last night and I expect Fredericks to start.

Lanzini disappointed me, weak in the on eon ones and gave the ball away probably more than anyone else. A full pre season I would like to see him be stronger and less careless with the ball.

Not sure I agree with our Chilean friend re Diop. I think full backs have changed a fair bit over the friendlies and the back 4 as a unit need to play together regularly. Balbuena slipped for the first when he would have cut it out which was more bad luck than bad defending.

I think Pelle will start with Masa and Fredericks
Forlans is definitely a central midfielder but he, Lanzini and Anderson were interchanging quite a bit which is important because it proves difficult for the opposition to pick these players up.

Haller got his first goal, so that is a monkey off his back - he works well with Fornals and Wilshere pinging balls into him, like the fact 2 goals were combos of all three being involved.

I still believe the only question mark is whether Antonio plays ahead of Lanzini. He has looked more dangerous than Lanzini in both games where he has come on, and whilst not as skillful always seems to frighten opposition fullbacks. He also scored a great goal.

So let's see who starts Saturday because that will be I suspect his starting 11 against City.
Derby Hammer

Post by Derby Hammer »

Pezza - Indefinitely agree re: Johnson. He spent the whole first half looking **** scared when they had a man over and Anderson was nowhere to be seen. I can’t remember once him shouting at Anderson to help him out either. As a result when he did get the ball in tight situation he panicked a bit. When he had the ball and loads of space he did perfectly well.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

The perfect Pre-season friendly result, in my eyes.

A confidence boosting win scoring five good goals in the process, but conceding three, the players will know that there is still work that needs to be done.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

I get the feeling when Fornals was growing up his brothers fooled him by telling him "In football, it is illegal to pass the ball backwards" when having a kick about in the garden.
He looks like he has played in our side for ages. Sign of a Quality player.

I thought Antonio looked sharp and hungry and he is that bit of pace and muscle you need when the tippy tappy stuff isn't working. Grady... sharp too.

Now lets make a good window into a great one by getting a CDM / BBM.