PSF: Hertha Berlin 3-5 West Ham Utd (31/07/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Re: Hertha Berlin vs West Ham Utd: match thread (31/7)

Post by Kialos »

I only saw most of the first half and a couple minutes at the end but looked like our forward play built on from Fulham but still defensive weaknesses. Depends how many of the defensive weak links are going to be starters. Like the look of Johnson more ever time I see him.
Northern_Light
Location: Where the Sun keeps on shining, even past the witching hour!

Post by Northern_Light »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:what's more disturbing is that anyone believes these players will come on here and become suicidal by reading what's written about them !!!!!!!
Exactly :lol:
Suffolk Iron
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Suffolk Iron »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:any links to the goals please ?

cheers
Full match is on whufc.com
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

We could absolutely batter some of the poorer sides in the division this year. Against the other 15, Rice is going to need some help.

Wilshere out for Noble may help, but I’d prefer someone younger, bigger and if I’m being brutally honest, ideally a touch more African.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

I’ll ask again, as I have in at least one pre-season match thread already.

Why do we concede so many goals if Fabianski, Rice, Diop, Balbuena and Noble are so good?
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

carnage wrote:I’ll ask again, as I have in at least one pre-season match thread already.

Why do we concede so many goals if Fabianski, Rice, Diop, Balbuena and Noble are so good?
Because our full backs are absolutely piss.
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Mostly because of how high up in the field the defence line sits and the pressing. It's the price to pay for the offensive philosophy + way too many personal errors last years, lack of concentration, nonchalant at times
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

carnage wrote:I’ll ask again, as I have in at least one pre-season match thread already.

Well - Fabianski, Noble, Fredericks and Masuaku weren't playing, that'd be part of it. But I do get your point. I've been thinking about this a lot recently... we slag off Noble for being past it and slow, and want to get Haydon in to replace him... but when we play Newcastle the same people will be moaning if Noble's West Ham don't smash Haydon's Newcastle by 3. We all do it to some extent, I'm not having a go at anyone.

Also I agree with others - no one gets to this level if they're the sort of idiot who spends his life trawling the web and getting upset when know-nothings (ie all of us not involved in the professional game) have a moan. And even if they did they'd already know they were playing badly because they'd probably spot when they ****ed up for a goal themselves, and if they hadn't then their manager would have told them.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Balbuena is overrated IMHO, but the answer is simply it is the way we play. We are very very open in the middle.
At one point Wilshire lost the ball just on the edge of the opposition box and there was not one single WHU player between him and Rice who was 40 yards further back! The defender simply passed it to a midfielder and he had 40 yards of space to run into!
It is going to be a fun ride this season, that is for sure!

We actually looked a lot tighter when we had Snodgrass and Sanchez in the middle, as at least they were getting about the pitch a bit when we didn't have the ball
It was noticeable that Sanchez was moving around the pitch a lot more rather than just sitting, i assume this was based on managerial instructions
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Happyhammer52 wrote: I’ll ask again, as I have in at least one pre-season match thread already.

Because our full backs are absolutely piss.
Basically. :thup:

I'd actually clarify that by saying, in just a defensive setting. Going forward we ain't too bad with regards our current full backs. Such a shame Zabaleta isn't at least 5 years younger to go along with the very promising but raw Johnson ...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

davids cross wrote:And yes.....you are spot on. It's pathetic.
This is a Forum and they are people's opinions.

Just because they differ from yours does not render them "pathetic". You're better than that, DC.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Johnson could easily start the season as our preferred Right Back.

The lad is good enough.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I'd just like to watch the goals please, not the entire game......

cheers

All the goals...what was the site that used to show highlights of every PL game during the seaon - is that still up and running ?

:thup:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

S-H wrote:Johnson could easily start the season as our preferred Right Back.

The lad is good enough.
I'm hoping so. I'm sure the fans will excuse the occasional f*** up should he make one, should he continue to make decent progress in general. It's to be expected he will make some errors and I'm fine with that. It's the more senior full backs I'm less forgiving and yes that does include Cresswell who like today ****ed up for the first.
Shy Ted
Has liked: 453 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:I'd just like to watch the goals please, not the entire game......

cheers

All the goals...what was the site that used to show highlights of every PL game during the seaon - is that still up and running ?

Here Cuenca:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqWu99 ... urn false;
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

You cant judge Johnson yet until he has half a dozen games in the Premier league.

The one thing that struck me tonight is we most definately do need more energy in the CM area. Nobes ain't got the legs for it. Anderson showed me what we are missing imo.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I don't get the hatred for Sanchez. He's a big, strong lad, puts his foot in and puts the effort in. He gives the ball away occasionally, but Lanzini gave it away for his first 5-10 touches today.

I'd personally like another centre half brought in and play 3 at the back. We can still sit Rice in front of the defence with Fredericks and Masusku wide. Haller up front and 3 from the rest in behind. It's the only way we've looked decent defensively over the past 5 years.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

We have some real creative quality in our ranks, but many times you need pace, directness and determination - Antonio and Diangana have been showing that in spades and I think you can have too much creativity when all you need is someone to run fast ,drive at defences and whip balls in instead of tring to walk the ball into the net!
Diangana is getting better and better,imo and was back helping out Arthur in the 90th minute!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Ted, you sir are a gentleman !!!!!

looked a bit like an All Star Game there for a while...the defending wasn't much to write home about there...

has Antonio changed his number this year ? 15 ? great through ball for Diangana and very nice finish for the last.
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

DannyboyDJL wrote:I don't get the hatred for Sanchez. He's a big, strong lad, puts his foot in and puts the effort in. He gives the ball away occasionally, but Lanzini gave it away for his first 5-10 touches today.
Occasionally - at least once a game.

Lanzini - does it whilst trying to push forward, not when he's the only thing in between two or three oppo attackers running at our CBs.

Sanchez has got a lot going for him, but I can see him costing him a lot of goals, and you just can't have that in a DCM.