West Ham Utd 0-5 Manchester City (10/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bowltorious
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Manchester City: Match Thread (10/8)

Post by bowltorious »

VAR is awful.

Sterling offside goal - onside, wrong decision.
Sterling onside goal - offside, wrong decision.
Penalty retake, wrong decision.
Last goal - blatent foul on Haller that didn't even get mentioned (shock), wrong decison.

For every decision today it was used for it gone wrong imo.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

hammer1975 wrote:Bit contra to many views - i think we need to be careful about knee jerk reactions on the basis of that second half. Few posters have long said it’s ok to have poor defensive fullbacks and only one defensive mid. Whilst that’s not my view I do think we need to see it over a few games rather than against one of the best club teams in history - and a team that is massively favoured through circumstances like the silly offside rule, FFP, referee bias allowing double standards for fouls and flow of the game etc.

Win the next two and everything will be rosy again. That needs to be the challenge to the manager and players.
I said something similar to this at the start of last season. I just hope we pick up a few more points after four games this time round though!
SiO
Has liked: 560 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by SiO »

Yeah Kyle Walker... No booking incredibly!
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Just back. Fed up. One too many thrashings for me. We are useless. Dont mind losing. Not like that though.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

In some ways this result now may be a blessing. It will hopefully give our players a kick up the backside.
Does anyone know why Arthur wasn’t in the squad, or how long Noble will be out for?
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

Even the District Line and C2C seem determined to make it as crap a day as possible.

Think I'll just go to bed.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Var will be a disaster for most teams , use it for shocking decisions but for
2 cms offside it’s a joke .
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote:I know we were 0-4 down and into time added on, but when Gündogan goes through Haller that leads to their fifth and nothing's given, it does make you think " What really is the point"
Morocco Mole wrote:That was more worthy of VAR than any of the ones that were actually referred.
That's where it's going to be interesting Moley; how far back do they take the play to qualify for checking.

Or will it depend on the team...........
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

bowltorious wrote:VAR is awful.

Sterling offside goal - onside, wrong decision.
Sterling onside goal - offside, wrong decision.
Penalty retake, wrong decision.
Last goal - blatent foul on Haller that didn't even get mentioned (shock), wrong decison.

For every decision today it was used for it gone wrong imo.
Apart for the obvious foul on Haller I think you are wrong on every occasion and I think you have to prove it better. Though I think the idea of that a keeper has to have at least one foot on the goal line when the ball is struck is stupid and will change things badly for the keepers under VAR, that's the rule.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Up the Junction wrote:Apols for quoting myself here, but re Wilshere...

43' | 0-1

Rodrigo warned as he goes through the back of Wilshere. That one hurt. "That's two now", Mike Dean tells the City man.

From what I could tell from watching inside the stadium, it was disgusting bias protection (ie not dishing out yellows that were definitely warranted to City) in favour of City. They should have had 2 yellows in the first half alone, which would have changed the dynamic of the match. He then gives an instant yellow to Balbuena after an honest challenge but was a foul. f*** all consistency and bias towards the 'top' teams. No wonder they felt they could get away with anything they liked..
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Just back. Disappointed even though I knew what the outcome would be beforehand.

What annoys me is that we were undone in the places we already knew were weak before the summer began - central midfield and full back, yet again this summer we’ve done nothing to fix either one.

Ratings:

Fabianski - 5 Perhaps a tad harsh as he could do little about most of the goals and was unlucky to have his penalty save wiped off, but he deserves a low rating for an appalling clearance which led to the penalty.
Cresswell - 4 He tried, but he’s just not good enough. He is very easy to get past and City targeted him along with our other flank.
Diop - 7 Our best defender today, although even he made mistakes. Saved us on a few occasions though,
Balbuena - 5 No massive cock-ups but struggled to deal with their movement.
Fredericks - 4 He did some good things, but his crossing was dreadful and in the second half they got in down his side far too often. I think he can be good, but not against teams like this.
Anderson - 5 Looked a threat but made the wrong decisions in the final third. Hope he’s ok.
Rice - 6 Thought he did as well as could be expected given he was too often isolated and outnumbered in midfield against very talented Man City midfielders.
Wilshere - 5 Some good touches but also made some very poor mistakes which cost us in key areas.
Lanzini - 5 A mixed outing. Looked good but always got it wrong in key areas of the final third.
Antonio - 6 I thought he did as well as could be expected. He wasn’t quite effective enough and couldn’t cover Cresswell enough but he was a constant outlet and provided somewhat of a threat.
Haller - 7 Excellent hold-up and link-up play. Was just a shame he wasn’t given a chance in their box.

SUBS
Fornals - 5 Looked a bit lightweight. Will take time to adapt to this league.
Snodgrass - 6 Provided some decent deliveries into the box and worked hard as usual.
Hernandez - 5 Did ok but not really effective and sent over a crap free kick.

As for VAR, it’s tough to understand when at the ground if they don’t show replays. Also, it should not be used for encroachment. Half of penalties ever taken would not have counted if it had always been used for that.
Last edited by dodger on Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

No team should lose 5 nil at home as has been said. It’s awful.

Balbuena was was **** today
Peaches

Post by Peaches »

Also the score line flattered them. In spite of not being at our best and making mistakes, we had 42% possession and were only outshot 14 to 5 and 3 of our 5 were on target. City had more shots and way more possession in last years 0-1
westhamlinnet
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by westhamlinnet »

Feels early too judge but we miss a strong midfield player lanzini wilshiere and formals too similar and lightweight
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 750 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

nothing will change as we have seen all decisions go the big teams way. how many times did rodri foul and not get booked and yet our players make one foul and booked. not saying they shouldn't be but the city players should have had a few cards especially walker. I despise city more than Liverpool now as they are just buying the league and get all the decisions their way.

fab saved us a few times and unlucky with the pen being retaken.
fredericks did ok and good to see him outmuscle augero second half.
diop hit and miss needs to improve
Balbuena similar to diop
cresswell - poor and needs to be dropped for masuaka or Johnson
wilshere too slow in midfield with rice
rice some nice bits but gone done a few times for pace
lanzini floated and threaten but never really delivered. goes to ground too easily. never pens.
Anderson poor and didn't really get involed,will be better next time. hope injury is not bad.
haller started well but became frustrated as game wore on. needs more support
Antonio didn't threaten like he can. why was he on the left when he should be on right side.

season starts next week at brighton
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 530 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

I think some on here are making too many excuses.
Yes, City are a fantastic side and will no doubt hand out hidings like that to many teams this season. But they won't come up against many as obliging as we were today. We all knew we were going to lose, but I thought we'd put up a fight. IMO that was a gutless, shameful, inept performance. I really thought we'd seen the last of displays like that.
How wrong can you be.
Peaches

Post by Peaches »

To put things in perspective, palace currently have 27% possession and have concede 7 shots against Everton after 40 minutes and it’s 0-0
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

BondsoBob wrote:I think some on here are making too many excuses.
Yes, City are a fantastic side and will no doubt hand out hidings like that to many teams this season. But they won't come up against many as obliging as we were today. We all knew we were going to lose, but I thought we'd put up a fight. IMO that was a gutless, shameful, inept performance. I really thought we'd seen the last of displays like that.
How wrong can you be.
Harsh but perhaps fair for the second half.
We put up a fight until until it went to 3-0, after that we were all over the place.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Peaches wrote:To put things in perspective, palace currently have 27% possession and have concede 7 shots against Everton after 40 minutes and it’s 0-0
It's 0-0 BV evaluate despite all Everton's supremacy, Palace are still doing the basics right and denying Everton apace. God knows why Pellers can't install this discipline into our lot
mickthekeeper
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by mickthekeeper »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Linesman flags Haller offside, which he was, but it was very close. I thought with VAR they were supposed to wait and let the video ref sort it out?

And this is how they will get around VAR - flag the non-sky 6 no matter how close but leave play to continue for them. Look at the Liverpool / Norwich game last night - 2 close decisions wrongly flagged against Norwich, and the delayed flag used at the other end.

Can’t go back once the assistant has flagged so they get the decision and more often than not, so tight decisions will be left for VAR to pick it up.