West Ham Utd 0-5 Manchester City (10/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Manchester City: Massacre Thread (10/8)

Post by Georgee Paris »

Has anyone found out why we weren’t given a VAR review when lanzini was fouled :?
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Stop trying to compare our team to that of the Billionaires of Manchester City .

We're West Ham .

Be Happy .
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Georgee Paris wrote:Has anyone found out why we weren’t given a VAR review when lanzini was fouled :?
Has to be ‘clear and obvious’ .

My initial reaction was that it wasn’t a penalty. Seen weaker ones given though. Someone said in the match thread that Lanzini potentially goes down too easily and there is probably some truth in that so referees may think the same. Saying that, he got booted and pulled to the floor a lot yesterday and should have had a couple more free kicks.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4379 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Wilko1304 wrote:He's already faster anyway, but then has a 10 yard sprint -start. Masuaku wouldn't have kept up either,
The first bit tells you what Cresswell's underlying weakness and frailty is - the second is defensive whataboutery.

Making his absence of pace and acceleration everyone else's fault for not covering him (he's not alone in our team with this) doesn't change the basics with Cresswell.

He's slow for a full back, small and easily shephered in possession due being so one footed and because he lacks any sort of trickery or wider creativity.

He's a problem in a team where Pellegrini only wants a single defensive/holding/sitting midfielder. Pellegrini either needs to reconsider the balance, or change the player. Possibly, both.
Nick_
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Nick_ »

hammer1975 wrote:Someone said in the match thread that Lanzini potentially goes down too easily and there is probably some truth in that so referees may think the same. Saying that, he got booted and pulled to the floor a lot yesterday and should have had a couple more free kicks.
He's also, I gather, the lightest player registered in the league, so that probably has a pretty big impact on how easy it is to stay upright.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 583 likes
Total likes: 527 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Georgee Paris wrote:Can people stop saying these results wouldn’t happen under Moyes and allardyce - they did.

Of course they did. And its happened under every manager we've had in the 55 years, that I've been a Hanmmer.
What is really p@@@@@g me off though (I know I've already gone on about it) is how City constantly take the p@@s out of us now days. I know they're brilliant, best team in England, possibly Europe, etc..etc.. But other teams seem to be able to at least sometimes put up a fight.
We rarely do.
codger
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by codger »

Of course they did. And its happened under every manager we've had in the 55 years, that I've been a Hanmmer.
What is really p@@@@@g me off though (I know I've already gone on about it) is how City constantly take the p@@s out of us now days. I know they're brilliant, best team in England, possibly Europe, etc..etc.. But other teams seem to be able to at least sometimes put up
If you run out of steam early and can't keep up the intensity then it is a fitness problem as usual
early season. some things never change.
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

Any talk of a need for or lack of a DM next to Rice in relation to this match is an absolute fallacy.

I've watched the game again and Rice wasn't left exposed at all , the only time he got into trouble was through his own doing. In fact Wilshire in the first half gave a very disciplined performance, nothing spectacular but his positioning was good , he won the ball , drew fouls and did very little to be criticised like he has on here. He's a very smart player and he did a good job yesterday, was hardly ever caught out of position but people seem to overlook what he does for the team.

Having re watched the match it was nowhere near as bad as some are making out and what the final scoreline suggests. 72 minutes into the game , 2-0 down we put in our first decent ball into the box and come close to making it 2-1, fine margins , if that goes it's a different game. Around this point we've made our subs , pushed players forward with nothing to lose as we chase a goal to bring us back into the game, instead City score and it's game over at 3-0. It was only the final 10 minutes where Fabianski's error leads to Diop giving away a pen and then a stoppage time goal to finish us off, but in general we actually defended quite well I think and certainly didn't deserve to lose by 5, but that's football especially against this Man City side who can punish any team in this league in the way the did to us yesterday.

Our biggest downfall wasn't the CMs, not having a DCM next to rice or even the defence, ironically it was our attacking midfielders and lack of quality delivery and final balls in the attacking 1/3, plus a few individual mistakes from Fabianski and Diop, both players who will no doubt be assets this season far more times then they will be liabilities.
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

City beat us 9-0 on aggregate in the League Cup semis under Allardyce a few seasons back.

This is not a new thing.

Why, oh why was the left back position not upgraded in the summer? We decided to give Masuaku a new contract, who’s actually worse at defending at Cresswell. And he was t even in the squad yesterday.

Well there was a reason why City were constantly targeting us there and waltzing past time after time.

Wilshere was poor also I thought. Too casual and got brushed off the ball far too easily. Didn’t really spray the ball about and create anything in Noble’s absence.

Horrific game to start the season.
codger
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by codger »

The Moth wrote.
but in general we actually defended quite well I think and certainly didn't deserve to lose by 5,
Any team that gives away five goals at home have definitely NOT defended quite well regardless of all the
excuses
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

steps wrote: Wilshere was poor also I thought. Too casual and got brushed off the ball far too easily.
At no point in the game did he get brushed off the ball, the only times he was dispossessed was when he was fouled and a freekick was given.
r99c
Has liked: 703 likes
Total likes: 396 likes

Post by r99c »

Georgee Paris wrote:Has anyone found out why we weren’t given a VAR review when lanzini was fouled :?
The one early in the game? The VAR lot did look at it and decided it wasn't a foul. Agree - never in a million years was that a foul and if that was given against us I'd be utterly fuming.
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

'The Moth'
All good points which I fully agree with. We were severely punished for individual errors rather than general poor defending (Fabianski twice, Haller, Rice etc.). To be fair to City they were extremely clinical and always seemed to play the right ball perfectly, which is something had we done (particularly in the first half) would have seen us with a host more chances/shots/goals. Fine margins.
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

The Moth wrote:
At no point in the game did he get brushed off the ball, the only times he was dispossessed was when he was fouled and a freekick was given.
No disrespect Moth, but you must of watched a different game mate.

In the second half he looked knackered and was rightly hooked for Snodgrass. He wasn’t up to the task, I like him as a player but my personal thoughts are he cannot put a shift in for 90 minutes. Maybe that’s down to being out of the game for large periods of time, I don’t know.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

r99c wrote: The one early in the game? The VAR lot did look at it and decided it wasn't a foul. Agree - never in a million years was that a foul and if that was given against us I'd be utterly fuming.
There was another one later in the half on the other side of the penalty box but it didn't look like a penalty. Lanzini flops down far too easily for my liking
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Top post, Moth. Not seen the game back yet, but a lot of that chimes with what I saw at the time.
Sloffy

Post by Sloffy »

Coming off the - we were so poor - tangent slightly.

Man City are the richest club in the world, have arguably the best manager in the world, some of the greatest players to ever play in the PL, £198m expenditure on full backs alone, and accrued 198 points in 2 seasons, they get an ever so kind refereeing performance towards Rodri,who committed 3 bookable offences and fouled everything that moved.

They really needed that advantage bless them.
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
There was another one later in the half on the other side of the penalty box but it didn't look like a penalty. Lanzini flops down far too easily for my liking
Lanzini went down a couple of times way, way too easily. Maybe he thought with VAR in force now, that there might be more chance of a tangle happening and a penalty being given.

The reality is it may be even more difficult to get penalties now (as VAR will overturn penalty decisions that are not actual penalties).
r99c
Has liked: 703 likes
Total likes: 396 likes

Post by r99c »

SpongeBob's Pants wrote:
Lanzini went down a couple of times way, way too easily. Maybe he thought with VAR in force now, that there might be more chance of a tangle happening and a penalty being given.

The reality is it may be even more difficult to get penalties now (as VAR will overturn penalty decisions that are not actual penalties).
Apart from the one that was actually given. If that was one of our players leaving their foot dangling in a COMPLETELY unnatural running position, in order to initiate contact with one of their defender's standing legs, the pundits would be howling for it not to have been a pen...
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

steps wrote: In the second half he looked knackered and was rightly hooked for Snodgrass. He wasn’t up to the task, I like him as a player but my personal thoughts are he cannot put a shift in for 90 minutes. Maybe that’s down to being out of the game for large periods of time, I don’t know.
I agree, I've got doubts whether he can put a shift in for 90 mins and I'm not disagreeing with Snodgrass coming on for him when he did. Just pointing out that he didn't get brushed off the ball at any point , he's excellent at finding the space to receive the ball and avoid that happening and first half he got up and down the pitch well in my opinion and helped keep our shape in the middle of the park. But I agree with you, it looks very unlikely he will do that for a full 90 mins any time soon.