Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 West Ham Utd (17/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Trotsky's Hammer
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Re: ⚽ Brighton and Hove Albion vs West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Trotsky's Hammer »

Should have held on to Andy Carroll :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Aurora borealis
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Aurora borealis »

Sauce! wrote:Keep it up lads!

As it stands we are 15th and Chelsea are going down! :scarfer:
Play the 11 who gives a sh*t.. Do we have these 11
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 525 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

This has not been fun.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Agree about Hernandez.

Snodgrass is ok as an extra midfielder. I think he's finished as a winger though. Should never have started there, especially when we also have antonio and yarmolenko as options. Not a lot has come off for fornals so far either. Wilshere and rice need to drop back a little when fabianski is looking to play it out from the back. No point doing long kicks against these.

So for the second half, I'd move Snodgrass central, sub wilshere, and bring either yarmolenko or antonio on. And I'd give our new swiss striker a run out too
claretnblueglasses
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by claretnblueglasses »

This performance is reminiscent (or even worse) than away at Wolves, Burnley, Cardiff etc last season. I was hoping Pellegrini may start to make his mark on this team moreso this season but based on this, that is clearly far from the case.
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

Starting Hernandez as lone striker again after its failed so many times is utter lunacy..even more ao against biggest cenrre backs in league,
How on earth people think we dont need that strong athletic type in midfield is baffling.

All on pell this one.
BillUp
Location: If God wanted us to play football in the clouds, he would have put grass there. Brian Clough.
Has liked: 1 like

Post by BillUp »

Chica getting a hammering, but what do you expect if you lump long balls up to him? I thought we were mean't to be playing on the floor with quick passing? The Pellegrini way. Well we aren't. We look slow, unfit, lightweight, and uninterested. I hope Pellegrini surprises me and sends a huge rocket up all their arses for the second half.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 671 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

I think for me the biggest disappointment is the lack of adapting to the oppositions tactics from the manager.

They have set up with three at the back, so instead of having Antonio and Yarmolenko who can run down the wings and press their wing backs, we have Lanzini and Fornals in a floaty behind Hernandez type of role with Snodgrass and Wishere playing wide behind them leaving rice to shore up the centre.

There has to be questions asked of the Manager. I like him but this is getting a bit predictable now. We are starting to look a bit Huddersfield.
WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3200 likes

Post by WCpete »

Why has Oggy started? Is Balbuena carrying a knock?
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

We lack intensity in every aspect of the game so far, extremely lucky to be going in a half time level in this one.

I think Wilshere off for Sanchez with Declan taking over his role and possibly even being used temporarily as a defensive false 10 to apply pressure to Brighton's back line and gain us a foothold in the Brighton half.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

gegsy wrote:This team doesn't work with Hernandez in it.

It just doesn't.

Nice lad. Utterly pointless up front on his own.
Difficult to disagree. But West Ham's malaise runs far deeper than that, I think.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Post by Ben »

Weird line up to go with the weird subs last week.

Nothing like a 5-0 loss at home followed by an awful perfoamce at Brighton to kill any pre season excitement! :lol:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

The amount of people pre season that were dropping Noble from their predicted line ups, when was the last time we played well without the leadership of our captain?

Anderson is an important player and Haller would have been a great focal point in this game.

I'd get Antonio on sharpish, to inject some power and pace, get Ajeti on for the same reasons.

The negativity on here two games in, is a good effort though.. keep it up.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Think MP has made some more strange decisions today...
Stringey
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Stringey »

We still have too many slow players on the park, not only no pace but also slow to move the ball, we always seem to need two touches to go forward when a top player should be taking one. I've seen no improvement from this time last year unfortunately .
traxop

Post by traxop »

Croydon wrote:Defence and keeper constantly asking the midfield to show for options, but none are being brave.
The problem is also the defense unwilling to run into the gap in general play when the oppositions is pressing the passing lanes. It seems that Fredericks is just pissing off up the field whenever Fab has the ball, he's not making himself the third man for our CBs to pass to and it ends up being so easy for Brighton to just press Ogbonna and Diop.

We won't make any headway if our Defense don't coordinate between themselves. Between the back four and Rice, we should be able to pass our way out from the defense(Brighton can only commit so many that far forwards - and there will always be a gap somewhere). But because they are so unwilling to help each other out and don't take the responsibility to run into the gaps, we're 'stuck' at the back and our midfielders aren't getting front foot ball.
Last edited by traxop on Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hamburger
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 449 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Peaches wrote:Feel sorry for Hernandez. He has had zero service and we are not set up to play to his strengths. Need to play him off Haller
I think he’s been with us long enough to change his game to suit us. There’s no way the whole team is going to change their game so he can have a tap in. If he thinks he is a class player, he needs to show it by creating something not looking for easy rebounds. Mane for Liverpool has scored 20 from 26 and he isn’t even the main striker. Plus 12 of those goals were self made (no assist) so how on earth Hernandez thinks he is in that class is ridiculous. I think he’d struggle in the Championship.
Last edited by Hamburger on Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2500 likes
Total likes: 4403 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

We completely dominated the ball for 20 minutes but have no pace or presence up front, it's like playing with 10 men a lot of the time. Hernandez particular skill set means that virtually every pass has to be spot on .

We've also drifted back into the habit of playing everything down the left and within a ten yard strip by the touchline.

Snodgrass is okay centrally, but no way should he be playing wide. Wilshere not really in the game as everything funnels down the left.

Antonio on must be a cert. At least one of Ajeti or Yarmolenko will probably come on at some point. Hernandez will be taken off and at least one of Wilshere or Snodgrass.

This game is very winnable. Brighton have been poor, and seem very reliant on enormous centre backs .
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

We cannot play out the back quickly or accurately for ****. Holds us back a lot as a Team aspiring to get moves going and with real urgency.
NorthBank86
Location: Halfway up the North Bank, by the right hand post behind the goal
Has liked: 93 likes

Post by NorthBank86 »

NorthBank86 wrote:Wilshere, Lanzini, Fornals in midfield, plus Hernandez up front, ridiculously lightweight, will get brushed aside. Hernandez can’t play alone up front.
Sometimes this game isn’t rocket science. Very poor tactical decision by the manager, 45 minutes of opportunity wasted, hope he changes things around.