Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 West Ham Utd (17/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Re: ⚽ Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by YorksHammer »

Graza wrote:The goal we scored was one of 3 really good chances crafted by Lanzini. It also showed the sort of play that would allow us to make use of Hernandez. I'm glad he's fit again and I think he'll justify the confidence many have in him.
The way Lanzini played after being withdrawn into a deeper role at half time excited me, I've got to say. I've long thought he could play there, and that proved it to me. We can now realistically expect to see a starting line up with Anderson, Fornals, and Yarmolenko ahead of a two of Rice and Lanzini, in my opinion.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Graza wrote: The goal we conceded was yet more schoolboy defending. If we want to win games this needs addressing. I'm not convinced this is a personnel problem, it looks like coaching to me, they don't hold shape, they don't seem to know who should be where and the decision making suffers. If this goes on much longer then the next most important signing we could make would be a new defensive coach to try and take some of that away.
Adds more fuel to the fire that Pellegrini doesn't really coach them, just tells them to play.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Pulls up Trees wrote: Adds more fuel to the fire that Pellegrini doesn't really coach them, just tells them to play.
If you have a team like he had at Man City you probably can. We don't and particularly at the back with Fredricks, Diop and to an extent Balbuena they need coaching at this level.
YorksHammer wrote:The way Lanzini played after being withdrawn into a deeper role at half time excited me, I've got to say. I've long thought he could play there, and that proved it to me. We can now realistically expect to see a starting line up with Anderson, Fornals, and Yarmolenko ahead of a two of Rice and Lanzini, in my opinion.
Against the likes of Brighton this could work as he won't be called on to do a full defensive measure. He has the passing, he's calm on the ball and has the engine to get up and down. Playing the top sides though I think we'd get butchered with him there (see Wilshere also with opening day as reference)
Smonnie wrote:Pellegrini got the team selection all wrong.

I also can't understand why we are chopping and changing our left back already - pick a man and back him.

A settled back four is key to defensive stability, and we have swapped out 50% of it already.

We were nowhere near physical enough. Fornals and Lanzini, whilst talented and skillful players, are powderpuff, and with Wilshere and Snodgrass supplementing them, we lacked height against a team that, despite their 'new playing style', won the league last year for fouls committed.

Given that we also had Hernandez up front, we were always going to struggle to dominate midfield.
I reckon Diop/Balbuena is his #1 choice central pairing and he probably won't mess with it too much. The full backs I think we saw last year he likes to rotate and fit to the opposition. We have options there and depending on the opposition I think having one more defensive minded full back, Zab or Cresswell, is a decent idea, even both. Up front we were obviously thrown by losing Anderson and Haller, both of whom would have started I don't think there's much debate. I think Antonio up top would have given us more of an out first half and allowed us to play further up the pitch. Hernandez showed why he was on the pitch, but how many of those chances did we craft for him? It's telling that our two better halves of football out of 4 have had Antonio on the pitch though, with him being a notable performer in both.

I wonder if Yarmalenko is fully fit, not even on the bench opening day and only a cameo at the weekend, I agree he would have given us more size and presence in this game but it's not worth breaking him again this early. Lets ease him back in and not expect too much too soon, he took a good half a dozen + games to get fit and firing last year and has had a hell of a layoff.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:Anyone else think fredricks looks terrified on the ball and very unsure about what to do when in possession which leads to big mistskes.
It's why we're hamstringing ourselves until we get some new fullbacks in – we're likely to have a season of treading water until that happens. Zabaleta, Cresswell and Fredericks are generally the end points of attacks, rather than being the starting point like they should be. Masuaku on the other hand is good at creating space for the other midfielders – who then may provide a useful final ball – but not very good when he's required to provide the final ball himself.

The question is whether Fredericks is a good enough on defence to balance out that lack of ability on the ball – the answer is probably still unclear at this stage. He does some good things and uses his pace well at times. To me he looks for all the world like a very good understudy at a PL team, and not the main man.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Aceface wrote:
It's why we're hamstringing ourselves until we get some new fullbacks in – we're likely to have a season of treading water until that happens.
Seeing as we've spent a grand total of 10 million (6m Masuaku/4m Cresswell) on fullbacks in the last 20 years, I would say that we're going to have quite a few seasons of treading water!
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Thing is you do not need a fortune you need the right players.

You tube video at 5:12 line not perfect but a 4, the line can be sorted can be sorted, Rice has been drawn to the left side as well.

You tube video at 5:14 that 4 is being destroyed because everyone but Arthur has reacted to the threat, we are now a 3 with Brighton players breaking. Player covering for Rice has also not reacted. Position is problematic but not yet fatal.

Video at 5:16 see how far Arthur has moved compared to allegedly slower players. Again also central midfield slow to react but slow players also.

5:18 two Brighton players who started behind Arthur, one is well ahead the other level, Rice slower and further upfield at the start has nearly caught him, the other 3 are trying to defend and yes further mistakes were made but we have a LB who totally failed in his primary defensive responsibilities (again).

Cresswell is canned for a lack of pace etc, I would rather a lack of pace but effort to a player who cannot be bothered at all.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Football is a pretty basic game.

When the opposition has the ball you retreat to form a 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 with the defence and midfield behind the ball in a compact formation and break and get width when you have the ball. As soon as you lose it you revert to the former. The lines between each line of three should also be close together to avoid the other team playing a spare man in between those lines.

Our biggest problem at the moment and watching us closely on the highlights is we do none of those things. We are spread too wide, pulled out of position .. look where Ogbonna wanders off to before the cross comes over the the effort ruled out by VAR.

Its not a lack of leadership it's a lack of fitness in my opinion, that and players not doing what they are told to do. This is why Antonio gets subbed regularly as he hasn't got a very good football brain so switches off, as does Masa and to an extent Fred who lose concentration too often.

Man City won the title not just because they are bloody good going forward but they are cute in the niggly tackles to break up play but more importantly defend right from front to back. This is what we need to aspire to.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by Marky »

Pezza who is to blame for lack of fitness?

I kind of agree with that but think we sign slowish players
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

pezza20 wrote:
When the opposition has the ball you retreat to form a 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 with the defence and midfield behind the ball in a compact formation and break and get width when you have the ball. As soon as you lose it you revert to the former. The lines between each line of three should also be close together to avoid the other team playing a spare man in between those lines.
Oh Pezza, if only, if bloody only.

The reason, or at least one of the reasons we leak goals is we simply don't do that.

Against City some of the players were hearing voices in their heads with phrases like "high press" confusing them, only to see City's centre backs passing the ball neatly by them all the way through us until they scored....

Same on Saturday ....two banks of four ? You must be joking......

No shape whatsoever without the ball, no idea, nobody barking at the team to do the basics. They all think they need to "win the ball back" in the oppositions half, Barca like......seriously, Pep sodding whateverhisnameis seems to be confusing half the league.

Two banks of 4, and if you're playing someone as good as City, one player between them to chip away at the ankles of either of the Silvas.

Oh, and one out ball. Striker stood on the half way line, same place all the time, the defenders don't even need to look up, they know he's there.

Basics.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

totally agree why do we bring everyone back. put one up top to occupy two of theirs. basics.

lets hope it improves when the leader,noble, is back and we have haller and Anderson also back for us. Balbuena in for ogbonna also
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Pulls up Trees wrote: Seeing as we've spent a grand total of 10 million (6m Masuaku/4m Cresswell) on fullbacks in the last 20 years, I would say that we're going to have quite a few seasons of treading water!
That's completely unfair to the owners. They also dropped three mill on Sam Byram at some point this decade.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: ⚽ Brighton and Hove Albion vs West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by richneal »

richneal wrote:By my count we had one shot on target
Patito wrote:Well your count is a load of b*llocks then ain’t it because I didn’t even watch half the game and yet off the top of my head you’ve got Chicharito’s goal plus Snodgrass’ shot so there’s two shots on target from the off. Sorry it doesn’t fit your boring agenda.
Eloquently said. But let me tell you, you have no idea what boring is until you've met me. Regret we won't be able to meet soon as I'm double busy for next 6 months to learning how to count.

Anyhow, I digress . . . apparently someone else on here seems to think that shots on target/working the opposition keeper etc (yawn) might be a topic worth exploring. Maybe you can have a gander if you've got insomnia. https://kumb.com/story.php?id=133797
Patito

Post by Patito »

Couldn’t sleep so I’ve already read it but thanks, rich. :thup: