Watford 1-3 West Ham Utd (24/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Blow Bubbles

Re: ⚽ Watford v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Blow Bubbles »

Noble and Antonio MUST start. With Haller and Anderson back too I can only see the team as:

Fabianski

Fredericks Balbuena Diop Masuaku

Noble Rice Lanzini

Antonio Haller Anderson

Roberto
Zabaleta
Ogbonna
Wilshere
Fornals
Yarmolenko
Hernandez

Tough to leave Snodgrass off the bench even but for balance and options both he and Ajeti would sit this once out, although I would be tempted for Snoddy over Fornals or Wilshere.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

according to our mates over at * & * Noble is still only in light training and hasn't returned to full training yet and is a doubt to make the match day squad.

he hasn't played in what about a month and hasn't trained in almost that long either.

won't be fit to go 90 minutes I would think if at all.....
Blow Bubbles

Post by Blow Bubbles »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:according to our mates over at * & * Noble is still only in light training and hasn't returned to full training yet and is a doubt to make the match day squad.

he hasn't played in what about a month and hasn't trained in almost that long either.

won't be fit to go 90 minutes I would think if at all.....
:(

Snodgrass instead then, solving my above dilemma.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

I do blame Arthur as much as anyone for the goal, not trying to defend at all and selling your teammates short is actually worse for me than being out muscled or making a wrong decision.

I would bench him for Watford if Cresswell is available simply to make the point to him that not trying is the least acceptable trait for a West Ham player. Mistakes happen poor attitude stinks. I just hope this is not the start of “new contract” syndrome where he thinks doing the occasional flashy thing going forwards means he does not have to put in the hard yards going backwards when needed.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1948 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

....................Fab

Fred......Diop.....General.....Cresswell

................Rice.........Noble (c)

Antonio...........Lanzini..........Anderson

........................Haller

I trust *&* as much as Chinese State media, but even with injuries I’d keep that shape.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

I’m going to be a bit controversial and say I’d star Haller and Chicharito up front with Antonio on the bench.

My team (assuming Noble is still out),

Fabianski
Fredericks, Balbuena, Diop, Masuaku
Rice, Sanchez
Anderson. Lanzini

Haller. Chicharito

Subs: Roberto, Ogbonna, Zabaleta, Fornals, Wilshere, Snodgrass, Antonio, Ajeti

As much as Watford have lost their first two matches without scoring, they have had more possession and shots in both of their matches than we have. That being said, their back 4/5 look much weaker than ours.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Gsbgsb wrote:I do blame Arthur as much as anyone for the goal, not trying to defend at all and selling your teammates short is actually worse for me than being out muscled or making a wrong decision.

I would bench him for Watford if Cresswell is available simply to make the point to him that not trying is the least acceptable trait for a West Ham player. Mistakes happen poor attitude stinks. I just hope this is not the start of “new contract” syndrome where he thinks doing the occasional flashy thing going forwards means he does not have to put in the hard yards going backwards when needed.
Opinions eh? I thought Masuaku was pretty good against Brighton and started a lot of our attacks. In one on ones he defended well, but yes he was occasionally caught out of position. He certainly wasn’t ‘not trying’ though. For me the goal was on Diop for diving in and not winning it.

Since we basically concede a goal or two a game down his side due to his positioning or lack of pace when Cresswell plays, I know who I’d be starting against Watford, and against everyone else for that matter.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

masuaka starts over cresswell for me. brighton would have slaughtered him if he played.

if nobes cant start then snoddy in the midfield 3 with rice and lanzini.

we need to match them in midfililed and cant carry passengers.

fully committed will see the win. if not then Watford will get their first points.

pelle must instill the fact that you have to battle every game in this league.
Estuary
Has liked: 350 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Estuary »

Gsbgsb wrote:I do blame Arthur as much as anyone for the goal, not trying to defend at all and selling your teammates short is actually worse for me than being out muscled or making a wrong decision.

Diop was the root cause, he got bullied by Murray who easily won the ball and laid it off, Diop then missed the tackle on the Brighton player who picked the ball up from Murray and passed to the scorer. Diop was the closest West Ham player to the ball in the whole of the build up and should have done a lot better.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

Fab has conceded way too many this season, so:

Roberto

Zab
Diop
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Rice
Fornals
Lanzini
Anderson

Haller
Ajeti

BENCH: Martin / Balbuena / Masuaku / Fredericks / Wilshere / Antonio / Snodgrass / Chica
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Play Rice and Sanchez, with Sanchez sitting in front of the back four with instructions to drop in when full backs go forward. Rice can then be a little more dynamic

Then perm any four in front of them - ideally Anderson, Lanzini, Haller and Antonio

People don't rate Sanchez, fair enough, but he is the only player in the squad who can play the role that i think we need so we may as well play him
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

i'd put noble on even half fit just to bark at people and ping balls down to haller from deep.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

Smonnie wrote:Fab has conceded way too many this season,
Must ... not ... bite ...
jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu »

Peaches wrote:I’m going to be a bit controversial and say I’d star Haller and Chicharito up front with Antonio on the bench.

My team (assuming Noble is still out),

Fabianski
Fredericks, Balbuena, Diop, Masuaku
Rice, Sanchez
Anderson. Lanzini

Haller. Chicharito

Subs: Roberto, Ogbonna, Zabaleta, Fornals, Wilshere, Snodgrass, Antonio, Ajeti

As much as Watford have lost their first two matches without scoring, they have had more possession and shots in both of their matches than we have. That being said, their back 4/5 look much weaker than ours.
im with you on this one id start sanchez next to rice. Doucoure and Capoue would bully wilshere
Boo Boo
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Boo Boo »

Smonnie wrote:Fab has conceded way too many this season,
wasserburg_hammer wrote:Must ... not ... bite ...
:lol:
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Assuming Haller is fit and Noble is not, I'd like to see us try out Pellegrini's 4-2-2-2.

.........................Fabianski

Fredericks......Diop.....Balbuena.....Masuaku

....................Rice.........Sanchez........
.....Anderson...................................Lanzini
..................Haller..........Chicharito

I was tempted to put Fornals in place of Sanchez, but I think it's hard enough settling in to a new side without moving to a position you haven't played consistently in more than a season, so the more defensive Sanchez goes in over Fornals.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cellar-door wrote:Assuming Haller is fit and Noble is not, I'd like to see us try out Pellegrini's 4-2-2-2.

I was tempted to put Fornals in place of Sanchez, but I think it's hard enough settling in to a new side without moving to a position you haven't played consistently in more than a season, so the more defensive Sanchez goes in over Fornals.
Yeah why not!
steveherts66

Post by steveherts66 »

I could go for that but I keep thinking Pel Boy has got Cardoso in mind to play alongside Declan, he's got previous for making a young CB and good DM. I don't trust Sanchez for anything but bench.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

Cellar-door wrote:Assuming Haller is fit and Noble is not, I'd like to see us try out Pellegrini's 4-2-2-2.

I'd go Snoddy for Sanchez and just instruct him to be a nippy little bugger.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 757 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

We need to turn the tables on an old West Ham tradition.

In that, if we can score early their fans will be baying for blood.