Watford 1-3 West Ham Utd (24/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2383 likes

Re: ⚽ Watford v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Morocco Mole »

Patito wrote:I’ve defended Anderson’s defensive contribution in the past but he didn’t get back enough yesterday. He won the ball back higher up the pitch but he really left Masuaku exposed a lot.

Edit - but then like Danny says he was involved in everything going forward
Anderson is excellent at tackling and winning back possession. Especially high up the pitch. This is an indisputable fact.

He is also quite often lazy and disinterested in tracking back.

He is our prime attacking threat and is generally involved in everything good we do going forward.

It is perfectly possible for all these things to be true and they are. If he could correct the second point he wouldn’t be playing for us. I love him. He’s our best player by a mile.
Patito

Post by Patito »

I agree MM I have seen him track back a lot in other matches though that’s why I was particularly surprised regarding my second point. Was just putting down a few observations from yesterday rather than making a coherent point. :thup:
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

To those that attended was there any berating from the bench when they scored re the joggers Noble got stuck into and rightly so.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

englebert wrote:A lot of people unhappy on here with a 3-1 win and although I can sort of see why, we should remember we are West Ham and not perfect by any means. This is like the sixties where we had a dodgy team with a sprinkling of magic. We just need a cup win to go with it.
I really enjoyed the game. Exciting, frustrating, nerve wracking. This is what football is about for me.
Let’s enjoy the ride

This sums it up for me!! :thup: :-)
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4380 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Slight aside, Pellegrini mentioned in one of his post-match things that Watford were known to over commit to attack , sometimes pushing 7 players forward......

That might explain our willingness to gamble on exploiting the space.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I think that there is a tactic that is designed to leave Lanzini further up the pitch, so that, if we do win it back, on a turnaround, he is perfectly placed to cause havoc approaching the other team's rearguard.

It may look like he and Anderson are just lazily mooching about, but these are professional footballers, both intent on playing for their illustrious countries.

There must be more to it than they simply cannot be arsed to do so.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1673 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

prophet:marginal wrote:I think that there is a tactic that is designed to leave Lanzini further up the pitch, so that, if we do win it back, on a turnaround, he is perfectly placed to cause havoc approaching the other team's rearguard.

It may look like he and Anderson are just lazily mooching about, but these are professional footballers, both intent on playing for their illustrious countries.

I agree with this but when you see Nobes livid with the front 4 for not attempting to get back for their goal yesterday it makes you question it a bit.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 413 likes

Post by miles »

It may have been tactical to a certain degree but that wouldn't have explained Noble going bananas at the front four after we conceded the equalizer. I noticed the application and workrate from the guilty parties was much improved after said rocket.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 756 likes
Total likes: 3479 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Watford
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133816
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: I agree with this but when you see Nobes livid with the front 4 for not attempting to get back for their goal yesterday it makes you question it a bit.
Yarmalenko was the worst offender there. He was easily the furthest back of the four, and just walked. Antonio is a poor defensive player but at least he makes the runs.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Anderson is maddening isn't he? Defends and tracks back on a feels like it basis. But goes and wins us the game with that assist. Played a lovely pass for the first goal too.

Poor Masuaku had to defend for three most of the game with no support from Ogbonna inside or Anderson ahead.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Just seen MOTD.
That Will Hughes miss may well be one of those sliding door moments that define our season. Similar to the Kanoute penalty miss
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1673 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Believe it or not, Hugill managed a much worse miss than the Hughes miss yesterday. :lol:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 871 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Hughes miss was up there with Ronnie Rosenthal's howler for Liverpool at Villa Park many years ago. Game changing miss for us and fortunately we capitalised on their misfortune. Haller if he stays injury-free looks like he could score a sackful of goals, he looks like a proper predator.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

So, Hernandez had a knee strain but was their any news on Snoddy and Wilshire, or did they just not get selected?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 756 likes
Total likes: 3479 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Watford 1-3 West Ham Utd (Chris Wilkerson)
https://www.kumb.com/report.php?id=10311
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Edit - already been discussed a few pages back
Last edited by Aceface on Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

prophet:marginal wrote:I think that there is a tactic that is designed to leave Lanzini further up the pitch, so that, if we do win it back, on a turnaround, he is perfectly placed to cause havoc approaching the other team's rearguard.

I think there's a balance, highly talented game changer players still need to find the space and time to deliver those goal creating and match winning balls. If they are busy tracking back and marking that will generally reduce their opportunities for their prime task both involving their own initial positioning and attracting the attention of the opposition players to their presence. It must be a fine line between attacking and defending requirements to the overall effectiveness of such players in these circumstances and certainly effects consistency as the balance is ever changing. It will change within matches and due to the oppositions tactics, style and personnel. It's this nebulous type of skill in achieving that balance that is so difficult for a player to master I think and can make a player look lazy when he is trying to think ahead to exploit opportunities once possession is regained.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Universidad-de-Chile wrote:A propo Antonio...

I dunno if you noticed, but Pelle (or some from our bench) was the whole time shouting at him...

As I heard all the time.. (Second half)

"Antonio.. Antonio... "

And was really insisting on that....

Pelli??

Some kind of personal/tactical issue??? :?
Could be wrong, but I think at one point they mentioned that voice was actually Gracia’s.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

That must of been a very good game to watch for the neutrals. I thought it was really refreshing to see 2 middle table teams both try to play good attacking football in the right way. :thup:

It was one of those games that could've went either way result wise. It reminded me of our win against Newcastle last season at St James' Park when we were just that little bit more clinical.

Minus that poor miss from Hughes for Watford I personally thought we created the best chances and looked a lot more like scoring. That Anderson header was particularly unlucky not to go in, and another week that Haller chance off of Yarmalenko's header would've went in. Good save from Foster to be fair.

Yarmalenko wasn't great, but I didn't think he was awful either. Very neat in position and you can see at times what an intelligent player he can be. I just think it'll take him a couple of games to get more in the rhythm. He could've had an assist on another day.

Pellers has made up for the subs fiasco against Man City as for the 2nd game running at least one of his subs (Antonio) made a big difference in the game.

Some may argue its harsh Antonio isn't anyway. But maybe Pellers is doing it deliberately just so we have a great option on the bench should we need so.

And away from home especially I get the impression he wants players who are better in possession and won't lose the ball. And as good and as hard working as Antonio is, that's not on of his biggest strengths.

Having Anderson and Haller back certainly turned what could've been at best a repeat result of the Brighton game, if not a defeat into all 3 points IMO.

Another player I think deserves a bit if credit for the improvement from the City game is Masuaku. Yes he's not been Mr. Perfect. He has his moments when he switches off. But his pace is invaluable to the squad. Not to mention unlike Cresswell he actually tackles! Would we have scored both the Brighton goal and our 2nd goal against Watford without him in the team?

Great to have Noble back too and fitting he managed to get his goal and to once again keep his impressive record of scoring in every season he has played for the club going. :crest: