Watford 1-3 West Ham Utd (24/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Re: ⚽ Watford v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Monkeybubbles wrote:
The stats are pretty meaningless after only 3 games though. City seemingly create chances at will, whoever they play. Then two games away from home against teams who play attacking football. It creates a skewed data set.
Of course it's skewed, I said that initially, but I've also watched each game and those stats represent exactly what I've seen. Brighton should have scored 3 or 4 against us, it wasn't good defending from us to only concede 1 away from home, it was luck that they couldn't finish. We offered little going forward that game.

Yesterday we were superb going forward and we took our chances, but again could have conceded 2 or 3 easily.

Week 1 - City had the highest xG at 3.18
Week 2 - Brighton had 2nd highest xG behind City 2.4
Week 3 - Watford had 3rd highest xG behind us and Liverpool 2.29.

We've got to improve defensively or change the system against the better teams away. Those numbers are too high.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1514 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

The front 4 looks great, specifically with Antonio on.

Still concerns at the back, it’s worth remembering that it’s not long ago that we were the team creating lots of chances but with no-one to finish them off and trying to work out a way to get a combination of Arnautovic and Hernandez on the pitch at the same time. We may have them both in one player now.

What I wouldn’t give for a fit Winston Reid and a fit Alex Song though. Both only 31. :cry:
Patito

Post by Patito »

hammerman11 wrote:and most people including the premier league.

Nope
Beedub
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Beedub »

Is Alex Song only 31, now there was a serious player when he wanted to be.
Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Watching MOTD, for the penalty Lanzini went down clutching his face, but on the replays I could see no contact with it. Yes he was bodychecked on his left side but even on the second replay, when I was looking for it, I could see no contact with his face.
Watch it again and you will see the Watford player go in to the challenge with his left arm raised and catches Lanzini in the face ,might have made more of it and it was not why the penalty was given .
It was a really poor challenge and I am sure the smack in the chops hurt .
Patito

Post by Patito »

Manu yesterday - 93% passing accuracy and 6 key passes. That’s really really good you know. He’s starting to get back to his best I feel.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

we will need another 3 goals to beat Norwich, with this defence,Norwich looked decent vs Chelsea yesterday
e17
Has liked: 291 likes
Total likes: 976 likes

Post by e17 »

-DL- wrote:Hate to break it to you, but he who must not be named had one of the best away records of any of our managers I think - including a 4-0 tonking of Watford away. But don't let facts get in the way, right?
3 away wins all season in 2013 and 4 in 2014.

Won’t even comment on the year under him in the championship when the endless fun but futile away efforts sent us to the play offs.

Sorry DL, love ya but will politely disagree with your facts on Samuel
e17

Post by e17 »

Has anyone got a link to highlights of the game that isn’t via MOTD and that lot?
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

chigwells finest wrote:we will need another 3 goals to beat Norwich, with this defence,Norwich looked decent vs Chelsea yesterday
Should be a belter. (*Backs 0-0*)
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Patito wrote:Manu yesterday - 93% passing accuracy and 6 key passes. That’s really really good you know. He’s starting to get back to his best I feel.
But what was his expected key passes? :wink:
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Watching MOTD, for the penalty Lanzini went down clutching his face, but on the replays I could see no contact with it. Yes he was bodychecked on his left side but even on the second replay, when I was looking for it, I could see no contact with his face.
Glad it wasnt just me who noticed that. No need.for it.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 269 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Good win yesterday. Can't believe people are moaning. Enjoy people.

Thought Anderson put in a shift yesterday. Haller looks to be a quality signing.

Love that kit though.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Turns to Stone wrote:What I wouldn’t give for a fit Winston Reid and a fit Alex Song though. Both only 31. :cry:
Alex Song goes down for me as one of a few truly world class players to have worn the claret and blue. He only played a handful of games but oozed class. He would be terrific in our current side.
artlin

Post by artlin »

hammerman11 wrote:exactly we won 3-1 enjoy. lets be positive for Tuesday and Saturday.
Progress in the League cup and 3 more points before the break.

Luvly.
Graza

Post by Graza »

e17 wrote:Has anyone got a link to highlights of the game that isn’t via MOTD and that lot?
HIGHLIGHTS | Watford 1-3 West Ham | Premier Leagu…: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think this is just the sky summary but it's got the goals and the woodwork attempts
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I'm only seeing highlights, of course, but, whereas last weekend Fabiasnki was probably the standout performer, across both teams, Foster was the same this week.

We've scored 3 and he had to make several excellent saves to prevent us from running away with it.

Lanzini appears to have had a forearm across the face, perhaps glancing, whilst he was also tripped for the pen.

Anderson looked very sharp.

Haller is going to score bagfuls, if those two can remain fit and in form.
Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

smuts wrote: Glad it wasnt just me who noticed that. No need.for it.
Look at it again and there is a arm to his face in the challenge ,he ran into a raised arm from the Watford player.
e17

Post by e17 »

Cheers Graza :thup: you’re a legend
Graza

Post by Graza »

ironilunga wrote: Alex Song goes down for me as one of a few truly world class players to have worn the claret and blue. He only played a handful of games but oozed class. He would be terrific in our current side.
I go round on Song. For the flashes he was on it he was brilliant. But what I remember most is his pathological need to play "Hollywood" passes wether they were on or not.

World class gets thrown around too much. There is an element there not just of skill but consistency and the latter he doesn't even come close. Even skill wise... He was a damn fine player, but I don't think he'd displace Rice as he serves a different function, he wouldn't displace Lanzini who again is in a slightly different role and he needs the mobility and he wouldn't replace Noble as we need his non footballing qualities as much as his penalty taking and hard tackling. Song would probably be a 60 minute sub in this team, which is more a glowing endorsement of what we've got rather than a damning indictment of Song...