West Ham Utd 2-0 Norwich City (31/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Norwich City: Match Thread

Post by YorksHammer »

Love it.

'Let's be positive' he says, before going on to say that the Champions League is boring, the league is boring, the cups are boring, and that football itself is dying.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

:lol:
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

I refuse to accept that Antonio is injured. Therefore, I would start with him this game. Our best player at the moment. :thup:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

steveyrockstar wrote:I refuse to accept that Antonio is injured. Therefore, I would start with him this game. Our best player at the moment. :thup:
I agree, an injured Antonio has to be better than a fit Snodgrass
SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by SiO »

What on Earth has Snoddinho done to be on the naughty step? He was widely regarded as a conquering hero last season for the shift he puts in. Excellent player to have about in my opinion. Also, an unnecessary way of lamenting Antonio's absence.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

SiO wrote:What on Earth has Snoddinho done to be on the naughty step? He was widely regarded as a conquering herop last season for the shift he puts in. Excellent player to have about in my opinion. Also, an unnecessary way of lamenting Antonio's absence.
I have nothing against him on personal level. I just don't think he is good enough for us, We are way better than him, he has no stand out skills, he is a Championship player at best and we should get rid him in the next window, if we can
Jameslegend
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Jameslegend »

Puff Daddy wrote: I have nothing against him on personal level. I just don't think he is good enough for us, We are way better than him, he has no stand out skills, he is a Championship player at best and we should get rid him in the next window, if we can
Saying he has no standout skills is simply not true, for one - his set piece delivery is often excellent. Granted he hasn't looked great so far this season, but I still think he still has something to offer us.
SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Post by SiO »

Puff Daddy wrote:
I have nothing against him on personal level. I just don't think he is good enough for us, We are way better than him, he has no stand out skills, he is a Championship player at best and we should get rid him in the next window, if we can
Ok - Opinions and all that. On the contrary, I think that he has a good set-piece on him. Gees everyone up around him and gets the crowd going with his efforts in tracking back, has scored some great goals,and can pick a pass. I'd say last season he proved that he is Prem level and was a factor in our top half finish, so even a top half Prem player. I grant you, he might not be starting 11, but defo on my bench and occasionally starting, especially in grittier matches e.g. Burnley. I would be gutted if he left.
Bramwell
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Bramwell »

SiO wrote:What on Earth has Snoddinho done to be on the naughty step?.
It's just his turn.

I hope Cresswell isn't in the starting XI - the bell-ends who stand behind me at the LS will just slaughter him every time he touches the ball.

3-2 to us :scarfer:
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Snodgrass takes a good set piece but that is about it. He loves giving away fouls in areas of the pitch where we can be hurt from a set piece.

Anyway, onto this game, I'm worried that they are going to attack with more men than we are willing to defend with. Someone needs to tell our wide players that tracking back isn't optional, because Pukki will be more clinical than Watford if we give their midfield all the time in the world to pick him out.

We should score though, Lanzini has been a joy to watch so far this season so hope he gets our goal(s).

Post by 21212 »

Snodgrass is a victim of the misselling of the stadium move.
Supporters thought we would be better than him now....we're not.
He's not very good but neither are we.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

We are in a bit of a perfect storm defensively, given the way we want our fullbacks to play we need the defensive players to have strong individual games and for me neither Diop or Rice have really yet replicated the form of last year. Diop is being bullied by some very average strikers, Abrahams caused him far too many one on one issues on Tuesday to be comfortable with.

Unless we pick up we are always likely to present opportunities to the other side and chasing games is never good. Had Hughes scored last weekend it could have been very different indeed.

Pukki looks to have good movement and to be very clinical when given a chance, I doubt he would miss a chance like that or the one Deulofeu struck against the bar.

That said Norwich themselves are very open from what I saw in the Chelsea and Liverpool games and I can see the likes of Anderson and Lanzini causing issues. In essence two very similar sides style wise albeit we do have the better quality players at least on paper. I suspect we might see the same side as last week starting, especially as we are at home, with changes to the bench with Hernandez and Wilshere finding spots.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

snoddy is a hard working midfielder who can deliver a decent set piece. out of contract next season and I doubt it will be renewed. same as sanchez. we will need to buy a few CMs for sure then.
BalaamBoy
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by BalaamBoy »

I'm busy tomorrow so I won't be able to watch on Wembley's links or follow on KUMB

These are the types of games against the teams where we should win, but where we massively underperformed last year.

The team has the class, but lacked the final pass last week, and lacked a bit of old-fashioned Bonzo/Lomas-style dogged midfield determination.

I'd love a 3-1 win, but I'll happily settle for an odd-goal win . . . anything else would not be a step forward in my opinion.

COYI
dixie1978
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by dixie1978 »

With their defensive injuries and our attack at all costs style under Pellers, i can see lots of goals.

An optimistic 5 - 1 ?

Yeah, why not.

Haller hat trick :thup:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Puff Daddy wrote: I agree, an injured Antonio has to be better than a fit Snodgrass
Has to be better than the bloke with most assists last season? Dear me.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Puff Daddy wrote:I agree, an injured Antonio has to be better than a fit Snodgrass
I’m not gonna knock your opinion Puff but I will challenge it

The next time you get a chance mate, if you can, go to one of the cheapo cup games at Stratford where Snodgrass will inevitably start or feature.

I’d put money on you changing your tune about the fella after watching him up close.

Aaaaaand likewise: although I am not and never will be one of the goons who barks at him - having attended 30 odd games in the last 2 seasons, I can say that Cresswell is a player who probably only shows any attacking forward movement when he’s at an ATM machine
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3156 likes
Total likes: 2514 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

Antonio is going to be a real miss to the squad. His directness and goal threat is pretty unique in this group. It will make Haller's physical strength even more important with quite lightweight and skilful players behind him.

Snodrass isnt going to make a PL team of the year, but he's reliable and actually quite direct as well - I think we have good cover for Antonio and hopefully we can give Nathan Holland a chance to finally show what he's about.

I reckon 3-2 is a good bet, especially with Noble back in the team. Our defensive record is obviously not ideal, but if Haller, Rice, Noble and Anderson all turn up, we'll have too much for them.

COYI
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I seem to remember them extending Snoddy's contract hammermann11

do please keep up
NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer »

I would be very happy with a boring but comfortable 1-0. I do like that we are set up like the Charge of the Light Brigade but a bit of controlled possession, tracking back and game management would also be welcome.