West Ham Utd 2-0 Norwich City (31/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Norwich City: Match Thread

Post by Turns to Stone »

What we haven't had in years and years is a striker who (intelligently) defends from the front.

Carroll used to like to chase down players and end with a star jump, but he was doing it more for the fans and because he didn't know any other way, Haller, presses, and harries and is good at spotting a deep-lying central midfielder to try and nick a ball off. Something that Arnautovic did once or twice a game when he got bored, but is a huge part of Haller's game. It's what someone like Ian Rush was a master at and it makes things so much easier for the rest of the team, because you a defending from the front.

Yarmolenko and Anderson can both be a little lazy, but Haller will make it easier for them to do it as part of a unit (if you watch Liverpool) their three are masters at it.

Aside from that he looks great. Could easily have had a hat-trick yesterday and I thought we would really miss Arnautovic. Not looking the case right now.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

West Ham United 2-0 Norwich City (Chris Wilkerson)
https://www.kumb.com/report.php?id=10312
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

e17 wrote:It’s Fredericks turn apparently
It's not so much his turn, he's just not very good. I've willed him on whenever I can, but always see the same frailties in his game. That said, he's not completely useless, he has fleeting moments of quality but amongst it is also a lot of poor play.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I think it could potentially be good news for us that they are banging on about VAR and a fine tackle. We are going to surprise a few teams at this rate. At times yesterday afternoon we were as good as I’ve seen West Ham play. Anderson was playing with Payet quality. Proper world class. It a few pAssages if play we were fantastic. Great to watch. Also the atmosphere was good. Very very little to complain about yesterday.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Goals on Sunday producer, is definitely a Norwich fan.

:wink:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

EastleighHammer16 wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look at Haller's reaction after Felipe's first nutmeg. :lol:
Payetesque. He was doing similar things at times last season too.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Don’t agree Colours. I think he’s another 50/50 lad, very much same as Arthur and in all honesty same as Anderson and Diop quite often, in that they’re either fantastic or they’re terrible for us. There’s not a lot of grey area with them.

Which rubs off on people’s opinions too - go back to that first week of the season, and you’ll spot a fair few proclaiming Fred as too good for us and our only bright spark.

90 minutes of brain farts, and the fella “isn’t very good” - the truth is that under Pel, the backbone of our team seems to be made up of players who will always have weekends that blow hot & cold - which sort of makes it more fun.

FB spots probably have more pressure anyway though, as Cress & Zab are the alternatives

It’s easy to forget that under Lyall, there were actually weekends where the same happened - I can still remember a loudmouth proclaiming that Cottee was a lazy little sod who needed dropping against Arsenal about a fortnight before we smashed Chelsea and he was all over everything
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Aztec Hammer wrote:That was liquid football!
Ironically an expression coined by a Norwich fan :lol:
Colours never run

E17

When has Fredericks ever been fantastic? Certainly nowhere near the levels as Anderson who you could honestly say, at times plays fantastic.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

Who’s saying Fredricks needs to be as good as Anderson? One is a 40m signing who’s played at the top level for a while the other is freebie we nicked off Fulham.

Fredricks is improving all the time (imho)
Colours never run

No one was. He was suggesting Fredericks can be fantastic, just as Diop and Anderson can be, but also terrible. I've never seen Fredericks play fantastically. That's what we're getting at.

In a game where most players looked really good yesterday, he stood out as one player who still looked shaky. Even recall one moment where Noble bollocked him on the touchline because a move broke down because he wasn't paying attention properly.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:"That was liquid football!"Ironically an expression coined by a Norwich fan :lol:
That Yarmalenko has a right boot like a piston!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

The opposition view: Norwich City
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133841
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

e17 wrote:It’s Fredericks turn apparently
All I've read so far has been constructive criticism, E. I don't think anyone has been unrealistic in their appraisal of his contribution. This sort of comment adds nothing to the debate (although I note you have elucidated since).
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Apart from the first 10 minutes I thought we were exceptional. And to be fair for the first 10 minutes I think Norwich deserve some credit as they worked their buttocks off closing us down and putting our players under pressure. So it was arguably more down to them.

But once we settled down and started to up the tempo a little bit more we showed our quality and at times made Norwich look clueless. They couldn't handle Lanzini, Anderson and Haller at all.

And the only negative really was the fact we didn't take more of our chances as we should easily of won at least 4-0. The scoreline completely flattered them. And if it wasn't for Krul having a stormer for them, poor decision making by us in the final third, or poor finishing we would've won by more.

But most of all despite us being a joy to watch from an attacking sense I was just as thrilled we finally managed to get a clean sheet. And excluding 1 cross in the first half and a chance at the end when they clipped the post I thought our centre halves looked pretty comfortable. Although Diop still had some shakey moments in the first half when you feel like he is going to lose the ball.

Anderson my MOTM. Haller a close 2nd. And Masuaku and Lanzini not too far behind.

Even though Lanzini has been playing well this season I really did think this was his best performance since returning from injury. Really back to his best. Just needs to start being brave enough to shoot again. As, like I even pointed out towards the end of last season he seems to have become allergic to shooting since the injury. It's almost like he is avoiding having an effort on goals. We can't afford him to do that when we play against the stronger clubs where chances will not present themselves as much as they would do against the likes of Norwich.

Great to see Yarmolenko get his first goal since returning. I thought the criticism from some were a little harsh in both this game and the Watford game too, which I commented in the Watford thread. Very unlucky not to get a goal before he scored. He's not as quick as Antonio, but is a very intelligent player and very good with the ball at his feet.

The only problem I have with Yarmo is he's a little bit weak at fighting for the ball and I didn't like some of the moments yesterday when he went down too easily. Almost Hernandez-esque. I am not a fan of that and he needs to cut that out as other refs may well give him a yellow card for that.

The players IMO making the difference for us are: Haller, Anderson, Lanzini, Noble (for his leadership & determination), Masuaku, Frdericks and Fabianski (for his reliability). These players are at the moment the difference between us having potentially a great season or at best an average one. It is vital we keep the majority of them fit. Just look at a poor Brighton team that Southampton even managed to beat. We couldn't beat them without Haller and Anderson.

If we especially lose Haller, Anderson and one or both of our fullbacks we will struggle IMO.

Our fullbacks have been the unsung heroes after Haller and Anderson. Yes Fredericks is poor at crossing. But so is Zabaleta. Even at his peak Zabaleta has always been a poor crosser of the ball. His pace still makes a huge difference both attacking and defensive wise. And we would've scored 3 less goals this season if we started Cresswell in the last 3 games instead of Masuaku.
Last edited by funky chicken on Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

EastleighHammer16 wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look at Haller's reaction after Felipe's first nutmeg. :lol:
After the game I heard a West Ham fan saying Anderson had done eff all other than one good run....

I just looked at him and said I thought he was one of our best players!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Kialos wrote:After the game I heard a West Ham fan saying Anderson had done eff all other than one good run....
Some folk are hard to please...
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:Ironically an expression coined by a Norwich fan :lol:
Glad someone got it!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I don't mind Fredericks. He has great enthusiasm and clearly the pace and stamina to get up and down.
However he is a bit limited as a footballer which is why we almost always build up our attacks on the left side as Arthur is a lot better at the attacking side of the game.

Fredericks reminds me a bit of Trent Alexander Arnold but without any of the crossing ability
Graza

Post by Graza »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Norwich City
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133841
Quite a realistic assessment really. No mention of their managers ramblings.