West Ham Utd 2-0 Norwich City (31/08/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Norwich City: Match Thread

Post by Kialos »

Farke embarrassed himself. His team were comprehensively outplayed for the majority of the game. Petulant whining at best. Either say something intelligent or shut up.

FWIW on the train back was talking to several Norwich fans and they all said we were impressive and clearly a cut above, at least they are not deluded like their manager is.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

That Cantwell looks a good prospect, went down a bit easy and moaned a couple of times but looks a classy player good on the ball
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Could have been 7-0 to West Ham today [ well , yesterday ] had that penalty been given for the tackle on Haller , before that we'd created enough chances to score 6 , should have been 4-0 at least .

Anyway , onto the 2 goals we did score - Masuaku did brilliantly on the left and his cross was perfectly weighted for Haller to score - as for Yarmo's goal , wow , such quick thinking and great technique and how magnanimous of him to run to say' Thanks ' to the Medical Staff . :thup:

Great result , great play from West Ham .
Patito

Post by Patito »

MOTD coverage was a joke
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

interesting that we set out with such pragmatism in the first 15 minutes.

it's obviously been identified that we start games slow and grow into them, and after numerous attempts to rev us up for kick off, pellegrini went in the opposite direction. we held a largely rigid shape for the opening of the match and morealess let norwich have the ball while we grew into it.

i'm sure norwich were all geared up to go at us 100% from kick off and were expecting the kind of game we were all predicting, but we neutered the pace and left them no room to open us up until we started to find our footing, you can almost draw a diagonal line on a graph plotting the difference in ability between the two teams as the game went on.
Coledinho

Post by Coledinho »

Strongly disagree with those saying Yarmolenko was worst on ground before the goal. Think that honor went to Fredericks well and truly. He is good defensively but going forward he is a hot mess at the moment. In saying that when you Anderson/Masuaku duo down left how much do you want to be using the right side of the field anyway?

I dont think Haller is getting enough credit. Might not get 100 touches a game but thats because low and behold as a striker he is actually trying to score goals. He isnt doing what Carroll and others before him have done and run to the half way line so they can get a meaningless touch. He is always in dangerous areas and always looking to score. His touch is brilliant also. A few cheeky backheels have had me gasping.

Rice looks alot better when Noble is playing. Think the two compliment each other very well. Rice lacks positional awareness at times and Noble is arguably the smartest player ive seen play for the club.

All in all the most promisiing start to the season in a long long time. Onwards and upwards :scarfer:
Clyde Best
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Clyde Best »

Arthur and Anderson's double nutmeg at the end of the second half, was the pinnacle for me, absolute quality.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

For a big fella Haller is very skillful and nimble on the ball, take a look at the stonewall penalty that twonk of a ref failed to give (even though he was bending over like he was taking one up the gazza watching it unfold from just 10 yards away) where he shuffled the ball left to right to go round the Norwich player before being taken out. That was class and should have been rewarded with a pen - but also unlike Carroll whose headers went everywhere but to a West Ham player, he directs all his headers into a player from the longer goal kicks - takes so much pressure off the midfield as they can gamble on getting into space to receive the ball from his flicks. He also works extremely hard and uses the ball well, can't remember him giving the ball away once.

I thought Cantwell and their left back were their best players, very good on the ball and there only real threat throughout the game.

Masa played well and it was good to see the back 4 working as a unit and not getting pulled all over the place like in previous weeks, much more compact and covered each other. Ogbonna has been piss poor in past weeks but fair play he was solid and didn't give Pukki a sniff though had a bit of a brain fart in the final minute when he let Drvic in at the near post, just fortunate it wasn't more central.

Lanzini on the ball with Anderson just made me drawl .... I think at one stage Anderson went round three Norwich players nutmegging each one, absolutely class.

It wasn't a faultless display from us but not far from it. I thought at times our passing could have been better first half, a lot of passes went straight our for throw ons, Fred, Noble and Diop all being guilty of sloppiness but a very small moan, because the rest of the game we were fantastic.

Roll on Villa.
spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by spod »

We should sign Cantwell just to have that name on our team sheet again.

Anyone know if he’s descended from the great man?
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

We should sign Cantwell just to have that name on our team sheet again.

Anyone know if he’s descended from the great man?[/quote]

Noel left a couple of grandsons when he died in 2005.
Neither were named Todd.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Felt like Noble getting into Cantwell and a few others is what turned that game. We were professional and experienced where they were energetic and naive. There's a lot in the game that is in the head, Noble gets about that and sets a tone.

Anderson and Lanzini were then too good for them, especially Anderson who was just amazing.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Ozza »

I agree Wilko I loved him being a nasty niggly nightmare yesterday, we’ve lacked that this season
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Farke has done himself alright. He’s not even wrong about Haller’s challenge, it’s absurd that wasn’t given as a foul and I’d be steaming as well. But everything else he said beyond that was almost literal fantasy. The supposedly vicious assault by Yarmolenko is a particularly weird thing to bring up when you watch it back.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Noble seems to be getting better with age, I made the point of watching him closely yesterday, and he just looks class.

When he has better players around him he really is a joy to watch. He is, in my mind, our most important player.

He's our pound shop Pirlo. :)
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Ozza »

S-H wrote:Noble seems to be getting better with age, I made the point of watching him closely yesterday, and he just looks class.

When he has better players around him he really is a joy to watch. He is, in my mind, our most important player.

He's our pound shop Pirlo. :)
Pound shop pirlo, love it, thankfully there are a few (quite a few) of us who sees his worth to this squad and club
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

started slowly but certainly woke up and should have scored at least 3 more including a penalty which would have taken us 4th above palace !

I think masuaka showed yesterday that he is our number one left back both defensively and offensively. gives us so much pace down the left and links up with Anderson so well too.

defence kept pukki quiet and it will be interesting to see how he performs from now on.

as for haller he gets better. in the box where you want him but wins headers and directs to a west ham player. got his goal, should have scored more and had a penalty. a good buy and shows you what we have been missing for so long.
sxreject1
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by sxreject1 »

Noble was excellent yesterday. Looked fitter and more hungry for the ball. As said above he really is getting better with age, he was supporting the forwards yesterday like a bloke ten years younger.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

noble did play very forward and a bit too much at times. I guess he will rein it in when away or against better teams. They all played well .
farke as many have said came out as a sore loser really,well beaten team.

onto villa where we have a chance of a point at least then man utd where similar !

we know we can hurt teams now not just with a moody arnie. need to keep defence working hard and fit !
tommythehammer
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by tommythehammer »

Agree with most on here and don't want to be too negative because Anderson, Haller, Noble and Masuaku in particular were superb....but Ryan Bloody Fredericks....

He is going to cost us quite a few points this season, IMO. It's obvious he has elite level pace but I have never seen a player panic so much. Every time he gets the ball he looks terrified and has no idea what to do. Unless he's overlapping the right winger he looks genuinely mystified about what he should be doing. Tends to see a situation, sprint with his head down into it, then get there only to realise that the situation has changed. Mind blown. No footballing intelligence (and don't bring up the deliberate yellow on the break, a five year old could have sensed that danger).

Anyway, moan over. Was impressed with Norwich's right back, Aarons. Will be a top player I think. Maybe a replacement for Fred in the summer?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Our performance reminded my of a Geoffrey Boycott test innings. Dug in at first, gave no quarter, and then opened up as the match wore on and the opposition tired. Haller's goal was the half century moment and Yarmo's the ton.
tommythehammer wrote:Agree with most on here and don't want to be too negative because Anderson, Haller, Noble and Masuaku in particular were superb....but Ryan Bloody Fredericks....
As I wrote in my match notes - I'm yet to see one of his crosses find a team mate this season. Work to do.
Coledinho wrote:Strongly disagree with those saying Yarmolenko was worst on ground before the goal.
So do I, given that he spent almost as much time on the ground as on his feet... :)