Aston Villa 0-0 West Ham Utd (16/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

fadedndead
Has liked: 1 like

Re: ⚽ Aston Villa v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by fadedndead »

I agree with the opinion it's early days and we kept the ball well in patches, but I think hardly ever looked dangerous, something that does frustrate me is the inability or possibly the confidence/coaching to commit the player in front of you, ie running at them, then either beating them or passing into a dangerous position, the lack of players overlapping or running ahead of the ball, has been an issue IMHO since Pellers, (who I rate highly) took over, Grealish did this very well, although his passing was poor.
We now have the players to do this, which is even more frustrating, does anybody else feel this is an issue which we need to resolve if we are serious about the top 6?
Another thing we are too nice, a bit of Bonzo/Stuart Robson niggle would make a statement.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

lets see the reaction on sunday before we criticise too much. we didn't lose so that's good away from home but we all know we should have won and gone 3rd not 8th. would give the club such a lift but we didn't and it may work in our favour against the mancs.

I am expecting a fully committed west ham united on sunday against Manchester`s second team !

we do lack a hard man but not sure you can play that way anymore.

we have players who are hard and fair such as noble rice diop ogbonna but not enough of them.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

The fullbacks were strange last night, especially Fredericks. Just watched it back and there was loads of times Fredericks was in loads of space, we had the ball in midfield and a simple ball through would put him in a great position to cross, but he stood about 10/15 yards deeper than their back line and didn't make the run behind. There was one about 16 minutes in where Lanzini had the ball and there was a great chance to play him in and he just didn't look interested. Not sure if it was a tactical thing for some reason, but it was strange.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 798 likes
Total likes: 3009 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

davids cross wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:03 pm Yes.

I think the added expectation last night was this opportunity to sit 3rd. Above Tottenham, Arsenal and Chelsea. Even for just a while....and even if its so early on in the season.

It possibly seduced many in. When it didn't happen there was a disappointment. It's an ok point . Respect it...
I'm ok with a point away from home......as I've posted loads of times when I was a teenager Liverpool won the league most seasons by winning at home and drawing away.

The concern I have from last night it's yet another newly promoted side that we have failed to put away, and I share Kialos's view Villa were better prepared.
Did we really work their keeper that hard ? Did we flood their box with players reguarly ? Did we get a telling cross in to the right area frequently enough ?
Sure we pulled it back towards the penalty spot 4 times with nobody arriving......and that's the point........

Grealish was oh so close to a moment of glory for them near the end, and would we all be looking at last nights performance so favourably had he taken it ?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

hammerman11 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:41 pm lets see the reaction on sunday before we criticise too much. we didn't lose so that's good away from home but we all know we should have won and gone 3rd not 8th. would give the club such a lift but we didn't and it may work in our favour against the mancs.

I am expecting a fully committed west ham united on sunday against Manchester`s second team !

we do lack a hard man but not sure you can play that way anymore.

we have players who are hard and fair such as noble rice diop ogbonna but not enough of them.
A good hard man would still do well. A Keane or a Souness would easily adapt as they were also terrific players.
goingunderground
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by goingunderground »

Just didn't feel the passion from the players ya know? We always get a bit arrogant and complacent after a bit of form. Villa will be fine this year, especially at home in that proper stadium. Respect the point, but also we must always respect the opponent. More tenacity please.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1959 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

@ Pinky & @ Kialos

were you entertained last night ? because the question that keeps coming back time and again is "we hated Sam's style of play" - yet we get an away point at a newly promoted team and there are several posts saying "I'd have been happy with a point away before the game."

if all who went felt they have been entertained then I suppose that it matters not who the opposition are/were.

all it boils down to now then is entertainment value.

at the end of the season, it doesn't matter where we finish up ?

as long as the punter has been entertained, as long as we are not relegated (but then again, why would that matter if we were entertained) we're all good ?

:?
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:11 pm The fullbacks were strange last night, especially Fredericks. Just watched it back and there was loads of times Fredericks was in loads of space, we had the ball in midfield and a simple ball through would put him in a great position to cross, but he stood about 10/15 yards deeper than their back line and didn't make the run behind. There was one about 16 minutes in where Lanzini had the ball and there was a great chance to play him in and he just didn't look interested. Not sure if it was a tactical thing for some reason, but it was strange.
Yep. There was one pass deep in their half from Lanzini into space that Fredericks *did* eventually catch up with (his speed doesn’t just bail him out of defensive situations), but he was literally standing still as the ball left Manu’s boot. No anticipation whatsoever, even though it was the obvious ball.

He does tend to look like he’s on a different wavelength to the other 10 players.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

thought Grealish looked more than competent tbh.

lot better than Ross Barkley has looked. wouldn't be surprised to see him in and around the next England squad. based on the games I have seen this year with them (3 I think) rather than just last night).
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:27 pmGrealish was oh so close to a moment of glory for them near the end, and would we all be looking at last nights performance so favourably had he taken it ?
So was Fornals for that matter.

It was enjoyable for the most part, plenty of incident but not much quality (especially from us in the last 3rd).

Good atmosphere at a proper football ground under the Monday night lights. Made me hate GSB just a little bit more. Headbanger
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I really don't understand some of the posts on this thread, I really don't. I thought we looked very good last night. Some first class football, decent passing and there was a significant improvement in our ball retention and ball control. We lacked a cutting edge in and around the penalty box and on a few occasions, chose the wrong option, there was also a bit of panic in front of their goal; but these are fine margins which I believe we will overcome, Overall, I thought we were the better of the two teams on the night and what was very noticeable was our self belief and composure, particularly in defence, this was especially prevalent when we went down to ten, Did it really look like we had ten men on the field to their eleven ? and I am a miserable old b*stard
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

agree in the main Puff.

trouble is we had 13 shots and only ONE on target - and from my memory it wasn't a finger tip save to prevent a ball going into the top corner.

that will be a disappointment. it was one I brought up a bit earlier.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:39 pm agree in the main Puff.

trouble is we had 13 shots and only ONE on target - and from my memory it wasn't a finger tip save to prevent a ball going into the top corner.
ked
There was one moment about mid way in the second half when Haller turned and shot with his left foot. I was about to jump up in celebration and shout out goal, but Mings was very quick to block his shot. Mings did well there, but to me, Haller slightly panicked and hoped he would get his shot away before it was blocked. Haller had a little more time than he realised and could have feigned to shoot, then shimmy and he would have had a pretty easy chance, but I do accept that is easier to say than to do, but that is probably what a Messi would have done
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 857 likes
Total likes: 675 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

Overall, I thought it was an entertaining 0-0.

Reasonably happy with the performance. Better than many of the dull draws under Big Sam.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 656 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Going to be a bit controversial here, but I thought we played too much one touch possession football and tried to be too clever at times and personally I found it a bit boring. Apart from Lanzini a couple of times no tried to travel with the ball and make something happen.

Mark Noble kept my I interest with his intent and passion. Jack Grealish is a player I would have in our side.

Overall a decent point but I could have happily switched off at half time.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 811 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Gotta be honest, I was so bored with the first half and disappointed with our attacking play, I didn't bother with the second. Just kept tabs on the score on my phone.

I know, I'm a muggy bonehead.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:55 pm Overall, I thought it was an entertaining 0-0.

Reasonably happy with the performance. Better than many of the dull draws under Big Sam.
I watched but I agree with bristol in that I wasn't particularly entertained.

1 shot on target isn't very entertaining imvho.

each to their own though.

:thup:
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:39 pm agree in the main Puff.

Trouble is Cuenca, I don't quite understand the on target bit. It seems to me that last ditch blocks by defenders or even close shaves (clips the post etc.) are not counted, but a 40 yard bobbler that the keeper comfortably collects is??? Hardly a reflection of 'chances' created.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

again don't disagree, but in the old adage from our old mate Romford "how many times did we work the keeper ?"

certainly Fab was the busier of the two and that's a key. blocks, post (off target) don't count.

but if the keeper isn't making saves and the ball doesn't go in the net we haven't created "clear cut" chances imvho and therefore are not likely to score.

just my opinion that is......

watching Barca @ Dortmund here and despite all of the possession, Dortmund have looked more likely to score and now Barca have conceded a penalty due to Sancho driving in and drawing a foul.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

We’re West Ham United ffs. We’re a mid-table team. We’re not going to be great and / or entertaining every week. Even the best teams have to go away from home and grind out a point every now and then, especially when they’re playing with 10 men for 25 minutes. We weren’t at our fluid best, no doubt about it, but I’d much prefer to watch us trying to play nice football than watching a Big Sam team hoof it, or a 2nd season Slav team not having a clue what they’re doing.