Aston Villa 0-0 West Ham Utd (16/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Patito

Re: ⚽ Aston Villa v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Patito »

We do seem reluctant to just whip a cross into the box sometimes. Which is strange considering we now have someone who could thrive off that service.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I think nerves got the better of us.

A win to go third and all the expectation and build up led to us playing within ourselves.

Hopefully against Man Utd the underdog tag serves us well.
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:47 pm I asked if people were entertained and if they went or watched from home. I think it does make a lot of difference if you make a 4 hours journey mid week as opposed to people like me sitting at home.
Four of us in the car, all enjoyed the game, well the second half to be more specific as it took a sending off to wake them up.

I walked out the ground saying I enjoyed that and under the circumstances was pleased with the point as in the past we would have lost that.

I'm optimistic about sunday as well :oops:
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:43 pm a question I posed for Pinky and Kialos

they went. were they entertained.

did you go ? were you entertained ?

just asking, not digging out.

league position doesn't matter ?

I don't pay a single penny either in travel, admission or even to the extent of paying Skye - that's obvious

so my conclusions are merely drawn from watching on the computer. my observations are based upon what I watched from the comfort of my living room and my couch.

I am watching the Barca/Dortmund game and from a neutral standpoint it's been entertaining. if I were a Barca fan and went there I would be severely disappointed with my team and them creating chances and working the opposing keeper.
i havent really followed this thread, but just want to add, it was a great night out, superb atmosphere, and really enjoyed it

yes there were frustrations, mainly regarding our inability to turn it on in the final third...why anderson held off as much as he did after such a gutsy attacking performance v norwich, is beyond me

but every player left it all on the pitch, they gave the lot, haller was literally dead on his feet by the end of the game

defensively, we looked solid too...for me, that is huge, as we generally have a soft underbelly

i also want to add to the comments that we played better with 10 men...villa pushed on when arthur went off...they committed more forward and left bigger gaps for us to exploit...a bit more bravery on our part, and maybe we nick all 3, but on the flip side, we could have also come away with nothing

am happy with the point, the clean sheet, how organised we were, and our desire and heart on the night...cliche, but f*** it...we would have lost that last season, so progress has been made
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

also, villa blocked everything...absolutely everything...while we didnt force their keeper into many saves, there were a lot of last ditch blocks from shots that could easily have led to goals

villa's defending was superb...
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

We seemed to fall down on a simple strategy.

When we are attacking on one flank we don't have the opposite wide player coming in centrally to aid the striker? Fornals in that late chance was the exception.

Not fast enough? Not fit enough?
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

frankiemac wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:07 pm also, villa blocked everything...absolutely everything...while we didnt force their keeper into many saves, there were a lot of last ditch blocks from shots that could easily have led to goals

I thought this when I saw the one shot on target stat. We had a lot of blocked shots. I’m not sure where these appear on the spreadsheet.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

does seem though that some seem to have conveniently forgotten the last season at the old girl.

we played some absolutely brilliant stuff then, home AND away.

it's like we had BFS and jumped straight to Pellers....

:?
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

We 'controlled the tempo' okay, but ultimately were a bit **** - and I'm surprisingly still narked off about it. Must be a sign that we're improving.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:02 pm does seem though that some seem to have conveniently forgotten the last season at the old girl.

we played some absolutely brilliant stuff then, home AND away.

it's like we had BFS and jumped straight to Pellers....

I don't think anyone has forgotten that. It was our most memorable season in years for a number of reasons. Quite clearly though, it was a one-off....
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Aston Villa
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133899
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 509 likes

Post by Ding »

Did we play well?

Yes and no. We controlled the tempo but for the most part ran out of imagination in the final third. Yet we did do very well to dominate after the red card. This cannot be denied.

Does this indicate a choker’s mentality where we time and again fail to grasp critical moments in a season?

Probably. We choked many times last season and it seems we just choked again. Having said that, we’d probably have lost this game last season, rather than nearly winning it when we were a man down.

Does this mean we are doomed to mid table (or worse) this season?

Nope. It means we had a bad game. Yet in this bad game we saw some character. It’s not a bad thing. We didn’t take the chance to go third this time but there’s improvement. Let’s hope the we’d be mentality ready to take the opportunity when next it presents itself.

Dean is a dick.
jonbentleywhu

Post by jonbentleywhu »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:27 am Im assuming 21212 johnny Bentley in disguise?
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Villa aren't a bad side. They have a lot of Premier League experience and their back 6 probably cost a bit more than ours. I reckon at least two of their back four would get into our team quite easily to be honest, possibly 3.
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

Kialos wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:39 pm They are a newly promoted side who apparently fielded 8 players who were not at the club last season. You think it looks like we sussed them out?

10 Shots 13
5 Shots on target 1
80% Pass Success % 83%
48% Aerial Duel Success 52%
11 Dribbles won 9
19 Tackles 21
47% Possession 53%
But stats says also, that we have 4 players in the top 30 according Whoscored (Villa has only a single one), what somehow for me tells (with the exception of Leicesters case and maybe Artsenal too), imho, we have (been) a better team than Villa and all the teams in our near.. We just need to stay in shape and get the results thats reflects this momentum:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I don't get this 'choked' view
What was so pressure-filled that we choked?
Being 3rd after 5 games is not that big a thing, especially when four of the five games were the fixtures we had. I doubt that affected our players in any way IMHO
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Can I just take a second to say how nice it us to be 8 points from 5 and having a bit of a whinge about dropping points away to Villa with a rubbish Man Utd about to visit us, as opposed to being 1 point from 5 with an Alex Ferguson'd Man Utd on the way.

This could turn into a nice little season.

:scarfer:
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:56 pm I don't get this 'choked' view
What was so pressure-filled that we choked?
Being 3rd after 5 games is not that big a thing, especially when four of the five games were the fixtures we had. I doubt that affected our players in any way IMHO
Some do like a cliche, Crouchy...
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

frankiemac wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:07 pm also, villa blocked everything...absolutely everything...while we didnt force their keeper into many saves, there were a lot of last ditch blocks from shots that could easily have led to goals

I thought exactly the same. In general I was very happy with our performance. Little cutting edge and finish in the final third and it would have been curtains. An away point is never to be sniffed at, especially down to 10 men when we still looked the better side and still doing it in style. Sets up the Man Utd game lovely..
SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 292 likes

Post by SiO »

Turns to Stone wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:06 pm Villa aren't a bad side. They have a lot of Premier League experience and their back 6 probably cost a bit more than ours. I reckon at least two of their back four would get into our team quite easily to be honest, possibly 3.
Who'd you have as a joint back line? Mings over Fred I presume... I'd stick with Fredericks tbf... Just wondering is all... For potential or just for the next match?