West Ham Utd 2-0 Manchester Utd (22/09/19)

An archive of match day threads originally posted in the General Discussion forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Old Man of Storr

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Manchester United: Match Thread

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:50 am

Since Alex Ferguson retired 6 years ago Manchester United have gone through 5 Managers if you count the Ryan Giggs interim job and since then they've been slowly deteriorating - they refused to play for David Moyes then the same thing happened under Mourinho despite the ex Chelsea man having the best win ratio since the Ferguson tenure - Van Gaal didn't light up the place and while the players seemed to play out of their skins when Solskjaer was first appointed they've gone back to their old ways . He won 14 out of his first 17 matches then he had to say ' Some need a reality check ' . They'll be looking for another Manager any day soon , hope they don't come for our man .

On yesterday's form the only player I'd take off them would be McTominay and he'd struggle to get into this West Ham team .

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:51 am

Bang average game with us showing a few bits of quality coming out with an easy 2 nil win, crazy considering we were playing Man Utd :lol:

Said it before, saying it again, bar Man C & Liverpool everyone is beatable with our squad. If Tottenham get in gear they will get 3rd, but they are "not that much" better than the rest.

Could be a season to remember..

Absolutely Hammered!

Post by Absolutely Hammered! » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:56 am

hammerman11 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:56 am
Not sure it was 3rd gear more like 2nd gear. we didn't play well and it was a poor game but we beat them so easily ! on to Bournemouth for what will be a tough match against an in form team.

I thought the atmosphere was awful yesterday but I was watching from home. the sky love in was awful yesterday with us barely getting a mention before or after the match. neville and co were a joke and had to slag the stadium off in order to get back at west ham for beating his beloved mancs.

not sure why it was so poor but it looked full but sounded dead.
fab his usual cool and superb self.
defence played well including cresswell who scored a beauty and was only beaten once albeit it was only man utd.
midfield was hit and miss. noble was good and rice was average for me. fornals looked a little lost but towards the end he was growing in confidence . still gave it away too much though.
yarmolenko I thought was poor but scored a good goal. it is clear he is not fully fit so plenty more to come from him
Anderson was a shadow of his normal self. why doesn't he take players on any more ?
haller won every header and good link up play but we create nothing for him. we need to start giving him some chances or he will be stuck on 3 goals for a long time and will start to get frustrated.

wilshere looked good when he came on but I do fear the worse when he tackles !

shame about fredericks but hopefully he will be fit for bournemouth.

all the talk of man utd missing players but we were without three starters in antonio lanzini and masuaka.

5th place and looking good .
Masuaku.... ITS MASUAKU!!!! :D

chigwells finest
Location: desperately seeking redemption from this west ham misery

Post by chigwells finest » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:01 am

went down with flu like symptoms on saturday so didnt make the game , watched on telly , show started at 1pm , we didnt get a mention till 1.48pm
and the bias towards so called elite clubs i find is a worrying trend , which is getting worse . seriously thinking of dumping all my subscriptions

Graza

Post by Graza » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:16 am

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:45 am
Atmosphere was alright yesterday in Bobby Moore stand. Not the best we've had but plenty that have been a lot worse.
Nearly home now, just passed Stirling Castle !!
It was pretty standard where I was. It wouldn't surprise me if they only had mic's on in the Manure end and from the moment we scored our first they were silent.

That stadium needs a rip roaring game to get enough people going to generate an atmosphere. I can't think of a single full blooded challenge or flashpoint to get people going.

ironilunga

Post by ironilunga » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:37 am

With my boy a bit poorly in hospital it is a wonderful distraction to be able to absorb all the good stuff that comes from West Ham having a moment in the sun.

We really do have a good team this year and this game, whilst not our best, summed up for me the great spirit in the squad. Loving the fact that players with a question mark over their heads have stepped up into the first eleven. So many misgivings (me included) in regard to our fullbacks yet a thread on here now debating which should start - great stuff!

Hardly a foot wrong in the transfer market as we build what is becoming an increasingly impressive and cohesive squad.

Good times :crest:

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:42 am

Clacton-ammer wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:51 am
Bang average game with us showing a few bits of quality coming out with an easy 2 nil win, crazy considering we were playing Man Utd :lol:

Said it before, saying it again, bar Man C & Liverpool everyone is beatable with our squad. If Tottenham get in gear they will get 3rd, but they are "not that much" better than the rest.

Could be a season to remember..
As poor as Man Utd seemed to be yesterday on another day they might have scored at least two goals - Rashford was clean through on goal but seemed to take an age to get there , Declan Rice did superbly well to catch him and tackle him - the Mata chance probably looked a lot easier than it was , had Pereira put less power behind his cross that would have been 1-1 - James was put through but again the ball was badly weighted and Fabianski was able to gather it well and had Maguire toe poked his shot he may have done better but his body shape was all wrong and too near to the ball to get a proper shot away , again Fabianski did well . Despite them looking poor they did create half chances . I still wouldn't write them off just yet .
However , I did say before the season had kicked off that only Liverpool , Manchester City and possibly Arsenal looked like sure-fire certainties for a Top 6 place , there were question marks over Manchester United , Chelsea and Tottenham - Solskjaer will be replaced and Tottenham will get better but I think Lampard , despite getting the very best out of his youngsters just now may struggle over the course of the whole season .

We on the other hand are definitely good enough for a Top 8 finish - if we can keep ahead of Leicester and Bournemouth then it could be Top 6 .

Keeping Haller and Yarmolenko fit will be vital to our season .

kitthehammer

Post by kitthehammer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:44 am

Funny i thought the atmosphere was ok yesterday. Mark Noble's work-rate yesterday was phenomenal and a lot of the time he ended up almost a striker. He was all over the pitch and still played 90 mins. Diop seems to be working almost as ogbonna's sweeper. proof is in the pudding we haven't conceded lately. We're looking ok but bournemouth will be a bigger test.

Samba

Post by Samba » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:45 am

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:56 am
Masuaku.... ITS MASUAKU!!!! :D
Moussaka?

Johnny Byrne's Boots

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:05 am

Noble makes it into Team of the Week.

Having wondered whether the BBC were beginning to hedge their bets (West Ham won, not MUFC lost), normal service has been resumed. They even managed to make his inclusion all about the Mancs.

3Dicks

Post by 3Dicks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:09 am

The first 20 mins or so felt like we were a little hesitant to get at them, though they created little in the final 3rd we gave them a lot of space and when we did have the ball were trying to be a little too 'cute' rather than playing the simple balls.

All in all a good result but for me a lot of frustration at our forward play, we work to the wings a lot then seem a little lost when we get to the final 3rd then come back to the half way line. We have a striker who seems to win everything in the air yet wont put a cross in, we appear to want to walk it to the near post to roll across the line for a tap in.

there were a lot of 'football tourists' outside the ground with half and half scarfs and other clubs shirts on which I suppose you expect with Man utd in town and the game making general sale, I expect it didn't help the atmosphere mind. very quiet at times yesterday though picked up after the 2nd went in.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Post by Up the Junction » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:34 am

This is simply a joy to read and watch...

The opposition view: Manchester United
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133921

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:43 am

Colours never run wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:28 am
The issue I've got with Fornals is he's still calibrated to the time and space he's used too in la Liga and against inferior defenders. It's a whole different ball game here and he's getting caught out occasionally dawdling on the ball. It's understandable as he's so new to the League and he'll eventually get there but it is a minor criticism I've got of him. He does link play and muck in defending well though which is a positive. At the minute, I'd play Wilshere ahead of him when both are fit.
Interesting observation. I thought Fornals looked surprisingly slow yesterday although, but like you say, may be a case of him playing to a slower, La Liga-style pace, rather than any physical detriment. Wan-Bisaka did annihilate him for pace when he was put through though. But W-B is bloody fast!

Wilshere, on the other hand, I thought looked very sharp and dangerous in his brief cameo, and he's often criticised for being slow.

steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:45 am

S-H wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:07 pm
It was petulant from Neville today and very unprofessional, all because we were beating his team.

Digs at the stadium, mocking Noble (because he wasn't Scholes) for not burying that clever corner we attempted.

Odius little prick.
Tbf, Neville was also absolutely scathing of this current Man U squad, especially given how much they've spent and yet their miles behind Liverpool and Man City, and had zero strikers to replace the crocked/off-form Rashford.

However, I was irked when he laughed at Noble being on the end of that set-play. He needs to do his homework - Nobes don't score many from open-play but he does score worldies! I recall us trying similar set-plays in the past with him and he's smashed the ball sweetly.

pezza20

Post by pezza20 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:45 am

I reckon 4 or 5 years ago after this result we would have been creaming ourselves and dancing in the streets. Its a testament to how far we have come as well as how far Man U have sunk to be at a stage where it is viewed as a decent win but a standard game. I bet most of you were fairly confident of a win before the game - years ago I would have been dreaming of a point and three if we were fortunate, completely above par and hoping a few of their players had an off day.

Now we are all dancing to a different tune, we expect to compete with every team bar Man City and that enthusiasm seems to be the same within the group of players we now have. Even shorn of Lanzini and Antonio's quality it still appeared as though we had more than enough to beat the Mancs.

Nice place to be at the moment and provided we keep the clean sheets there is hope !

arlhe

Post by arlhe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:48 am

Graza wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:16 am

That stadium needs a rip roaring game to get enough people going to generate an atmosphere. I can't think of a single full blooded challenge or flashpoint to get people going.
I think the Noble challenge probably qualified on that score!

I'm sure the neutrals would not have been entertained but that was a very solid performance, with 2 moments of real quality deciding things.

Well played, West Ham.

fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:49 am

Fornals showed enough to persist with I think.

He got caught a few times, he dithered a little. He certainly isn't the first or last foreign import to need some time adjusting to the pace of the game here.

But, he wanted the ball. He popped up all over the pitch and seemed to find space regularly in dangerous positions that he just didn't quite capitalise on. He also contributed defensively and worked hard. If he was anonymous then you'd have to think he needs to ride the bench a bit more, but he was involved.

He's got talent. When he gets sharp I think he'll be really good. You can see he's hungry. Hunger cannot be trained into someone. We've shifted out a lot of guys who just didn't have it and replaced them with guys who have something to prove. I love that mentality.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:51 am

I think there is the germ of a good team there for them – Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, James, Pogba, De Gea, Martial are all excellent players. Doubt Ole will get a chance to build on that currently slight foundation though.

Patito

Post by Patito » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:52 am

Up the Junction wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:34 am
This is simply a joy to read and watch...

The opposition view: Manchester United
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133921
They really are a bunch of entitled morons. :D

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:53 am

fjthegrey wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:49 am
Fornals showed enough to persist with I think.

He got caught a few times, he dithered a little. He certainly isn't the first or last foreign import to need some time adjusting to the pace of the game here.
I'm not sure I've ever been less concerned about a new player with a shaky-ish start. Supremely confident he'll become a good player for us, just a matter of when.