West Ham Utd 2-0 Manchester Utd (22/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 979 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Manchester United: Match Thread

Post by e17 »

James P wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:22 pm Anthony Taylor has the whistle on Sunday
& Cresswell at LB

What could possibly go wrong?
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

James P wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:22 pm Anthony Taylor has the whistle on Sunday
Reffed us last month away at Brighton 1-1.
Second half of last season, reffed us winning at Spurs 1-0 & going out of the FA Cup at Wimbledon 4-2.
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

On Sunday I called 4 points from this and Villa games
I expected to win at Villa and draw with these... I Prefer this way of achieving the 4 points :scarfer:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I truly believe there is very little between us today, nothing to fear, their form player appears to be the lad from Swansea they signed, Jones, Fredericks has an important role on Sunday!

If we play like we know we can then a positive result awaits - yes, I'm well on the fence :)
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

I was surprised that they beat Leicester, but I think at home we smash f*** out of em..

4-1 to the Mighty Hammers!

hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

another test of where we are at. the villa game showed we have heart and a desire to attack. was going ok until dean decided enough was enough. having said that we woke up in the last 25 mins and should have won it.

now onto a different test a top 6 side at home. we got smashed by city last time but this is a much different team and one we will be able to get at.
only worry is that cresswell will be back in. lets hope he has a blinder from 3 years ago ! ben Johnson has an u23 match Friday night so we shall see pelle`s thinking early.

again its obvious that we need to start well and be fully committed. a bit more incisive in attack as well. anderson needs to drive into the box, he will cause them problems if he does.
I expect yarmolenko to be on the bench after his horror show. clearly not fit enough yet. a 20 min sub appearance is what he can handle at present.

so who replaces him ? fornals, snodgrass or wilshere. I would put snoddy in there for his extra workrate. then switch when he fades to fornals.

fabianski
fredericks diop ognonna cresswell
noble rice snodgrass
lanzini haller anderson

subs roberto zabaleta balbuena wilshere fornals yarmolenko ajeti

2-0 hammers and back in the groove and top 4 hopefully

Post by 21212 »

You can look at this as a test, or confirmation, to where we are compared to last season.

Do we enter this game lacking a clear game plan i.e big man, who is not the most mobile, up front with no players running beyond him from deep? Set pieces that show no sign of being worked upon during the week? Exposed full backs?....
or will Pellegrini realise that this 'get the ball and show them what you can do' attitude will take you so far but, ultimately, fail against better organised teams?

Hard one to call but I worry that Rashford may have too much movement for our defence that seem to struggle reading the game.
Patito

Post by Patito »

21212 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:00 am I worry that Rashford may have too much movement for our defence that seem to struggle reading the game.
The same defence that just picked up 2 clean sheets on the trot?
S-H

Post by S-H »

Haller.. 'not the most mobile'

:lol:
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

We can beat them. For me it's only Rashford on their team that is a worry.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I can't decide whether 'Haller not the most mobile' or 'Yarmolenko's horror show' is the most ridiculous statement?

Post by 21212 »

Patito wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:03 am The same defence that just picked up 2 clean sheets on the trot?
So, you believe that Diop and Ogbonna read a game well. Fair enough. I relate Diop to Rigobert Song, great athlete but appalling at reading the game. Ogbonna? Constantly out of position. Happy for you to post your your opinions as it tells a story.
S-H wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:06 am Haller.. 'not the most mobile'

:lol:
I guess I miss Hallers Rashford like mobility. Happy for you to post your your opinions as it tells a story.
thejackhammer wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:11 am I can't decide whether 'Haller not the most mobile' or 'Yarmolenko's horror show' is the most ridiculous statement?
Read your post and I think you'll find it.

I've always wondered if the club actually plants stooges on forums :wink:
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

my 50th yesterday

early start on sunday to watch the rugby with my pals - manure in the arvo - curry in the evening

what could possibly go wrong !!
S-H

Post by S-H »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:53 am my 50th yesterday

early start on sunday to watch the rugby with my pals - manure in the arvo - curry in the evening

what could possibly go wrong !!
Hope you have Monday booked off.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

Think it''s more of a case that Haller has a footballing brain and uses it. Hardly ever plays the wrong pass when bringing others in the game and actually helps the supporting act arriving behind/beyond him.

I personally think he is quick enough and shows great agility for a man his size. Looks like some people have forgotten some of the crap that's led the line for us in the past.

Post by 21212 »

IronZ-79 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:57 am Think it''s more of a case that Haller has a footballing brain and uses it. Hardly ever plays the wrong pass when bringing others in the game and actually helps the supporting act arriving behind/beyond him.

I personally think he is quick enough and shows great agility for a man his size. Looks like some people have forgotten some of the crap that's led the line for us in the past.
I don't think anyone is doubting his ability. I question whether his style of play is suited to the way we set up.
S-H

Post by S-H »

21212 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:48 am
I guess I miss Hallers Rashford like mobility. Happy for you to post your your opinions as it tells a story.
You didn't compare him to Rashford though, did you? You just said he lacks mobility. If you actually watched him play then you would know how ridiculous a statement that is.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

21212 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:00 am I don't think anyone is doubting his ability. I question whether his style of play is suited to the way we set up.
I think his style is exactly what we need. The ball gets held up and releases pressure allowing us to get up the pitch. His awareness looks bang on so for me he fits the system.

Post by 21212 »

IronZ-79 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:03 am I think his style is exactly what we need. The ball gets held up and releases pressure allowing us to get up the pitch. His awareness looks bang on so for me he fits the system.
Does it not add to the slow build up that lacks penetration? We have midfielders that do not like to run beyond the opposition defence and now have a CF the same. Arnautovic did add penetration by running into the space behind the oppositions defence.
The fact we failed to fully test a poor team like Aston Villas goalkeeper must add to this concern.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Haller is perfect for the system we play. His hold up and link play is a different class to anything we have seen in nearly two decades.