West Ham Utd 2-0 Manchester Utd (22/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Manchester United: Match Thread

Post by RichieRiv »

It's not often that West Ham play on your birthday, even less often that they actually win.

So today was a first for me against those manc c****.

It was a great day out and you could see how much it meant to us by the scenes afterwards.

Analyse the f*** out of it if you so wish but today was a great day.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Happy birthday, RR. Glad they got you a win!
miketheloop

Post by miketheloop »

Watching the awfully bias Man Utd commentary today was ridiculous. In the studio, two ex Man Utd men. Commentary on the pitch, ex Man Utd man. I watched an hour of pre game show to hear two mins max about West Ham, and we’re at home! All I heard was about how much money Man Utd have spent, how they are building from youth, how they’ve not been good enough, haven’t pressed enough, Man Utd want to buy Declan Rice for 80m, bla bla bla. What about how well West Ham played? What about how compact West Ham were? It’s not all about Man U!

Anyway, that aside, great win for us and thoroughly deserved.

Haller would most certainly had a goal if Anderson had pulled the ball back instead of shooting from a tight angle.

Well done lads, up to fifth.
miketheloop

Post by miketheloop »

Hppy birthday RR :scarfer:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

The big positive for me is we finally seem to be dispatching these mediocre mid-table sides like Man Utd with ease :lol: :scarfer:
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

SpongeBob's Pants wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:22 pm Thought Wan-Bissaka and Daniel James looked very good for them. A couple of good buys.
I have to say that, until I just read that, I completely forgot that James was playing today, so I can't say that I agree with this. I thought Manure offered very little at all going forward.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3680 likes
Total likes: 2384 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

S-H wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:20 pm Thought Wilshere looked decent when he came on. Helped us keep possession, travelled well with the ball.
Starts next game alongside Noble and Rice if Lanzini is still out.

Classy cameo, albeit in a scenario made for him.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 874 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

That's me boarding the 23:00 National Express out of Victoria en route back to Dundee arriving 10:20 tomorrow morning. To be honest it's a pig of a journey but it's been a great weekend catching up with some old muckers and watching us canter to victory over the red Mancs, so I can put up with the journey.
Looking forward to my next trip down already!
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:56 pm That's me boarding the 23:00 National Express out of Victoria en route back to Dundee arriving 10:20 tomorrow morning. To be honest it's a pig of a journey but it's been a great weekend catching up with some old muckers and watching us canter to victory over the red Mancs, so I can put up with the journey.
No trains going your way , CRS ?

I love a long overnight train journey but unless you have both seats to yourself on a bus it's not very comfortable - great day out for you though . :thup:
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

FFS...are we on last on MOTD?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Chicken Run Supreme

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:04 pm No trains going your way , CRS ?

I love a long overnight train journey but unless you have both seats to yourself on a bus it's not very comfortable - great day out for you though . :thup:
I could get a train all the way to Arbroath which is fifteen minutes away but it costs a small fortune. For £38 return I can put up with the discomfort!!
Aye TOMoS, it has been a grand day out and I'll look forward to watching MOTD when I'm home, after I've watched the final Peaky Blinders episode first!!
jastons
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 851 likes

Post by jastons »

CRS, I hope you mange to get a sleep on the coach.

I LOVE it when we beat those glory hunting b*stards!!
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Just a quickie on the OS! It sounded like it was hopping there at times and there were a couple of shots on MOTD when they had a wide sort of an angle of the play and there was a wall of fans in the background - it still looks massively impressive on TV.

I know all the complaints there are when you're there, but me and my second lad are aiming for the Everton match in January - can't wait!
Pocket Pardew
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pocket Pardew »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:56 pm That's me boarding the 23:00 National Express out of Victoria en route back to Dundee arriving 10:20 tomorrow morning. To be honest it's a pig of a journey but it's been a great weekend catching up with some old muckers and watching us canter to victory over the red Mancs, so I can put up with the journey.
Good luck CRS, hope you get back in one piece.
Out of curiosity, when we played Preston in the championship play off final in 2005, I had to travel from Aberdeen to Cardiff (I got married to a Scottish girl 2 days before). I met a guy with his son and dad at Edinburgh airport and they were all West Ham fans from Dundee. They kindly gave me and my bro a lift from Bristol airport to the stadium. Was that you?.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Happy Birthday to Richie and Happy Travels to Supreme . :thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2710 likes

Post by sendô »

Well, I'm not sure why I'm surprised by these things anymore.

Sky coverage - former player and former manager in the studio (a quick aside, how bad a pundit is Mourinho? He looked bored by everything). Former player doing co-commentary. Everything "United" this "United" that. How bad they are etc etc.

Roll on MOTD 2. Big joke about how bad the first half was. A quick "Yeah Yarmalenko was okay" from Shearer and it's back to "United" this "United" that.

Did we win that game? Or did they score 2 own goals?

Perhaps part of the reason they were poor was because we didn't give them a lot of space to work? Yes they weren't good, and we won at a canter in truth, but a bit of praise for us eh? Playing average and strolling to victory against Man Utd? We're not 5th by luck.
Graza

Post by Graza »

All in I enjoyed the game. Not a lot of chances at either end but we produced 2 really top draw finishes. Yarmalenko in particular controlling with one foot and sticking it right in the corner with the other. Cresswells goal was good as well but the keeper offered him that side of the goal to shoot at and he did, and he won.

Barring the heart stopping ball across goal at the start of the second half they didn't create a lot of quality chances, even the chance for Maguire was a blatant foul on Ogbonna and VAR would have ruled it out (or should have you never quite know). Neither did we, not sure what the x goals was but it can't have been high. What we did do well was defend as a team, Haller was a monster in the air today - should have had about 10 more fouls given to us as they couldn't deal with him at all.

A solid team performance, a fourth clean sheet on the bounce (if you include league cup), equal third in the table, positive goal difference, behind only one Arsenal teams on goals scored... I mean what more did we want/expect after 6 games?

With Oxford in the cup followed by Bournemouth, Palace, Everton, Sheffield scum, Newcastle and Burnley we should be looking to build a solid league position for ourselves.
Chicken Run Supreme

Pocket Pardew wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:39 pm Good luck CRS, hope you get back in one piece.
Out of curiosity, when we played Preston in the championship play off final in 2005, I had to travel from Aberdeen to Cardiff (I got married to a Scottish girl 2 days before). I met a guy with his son and dad at Edinburgh airport and they were all West Ham fans from Dundee. They kindly gave me and my bro a lift from Bristol airport to the stadium. Was that you?.
Sorry Pocket Pardew twas not me but another kind hearted Hammer. In 2005 my journey to Cardiff was on the chuff chuff from Paddington. We only moved up here last June.
You obviously married a good one though letting you go to Cardiff two days after your nuptials!!
Thanks for your wishes though :thup: and Jastons & TOMoS :scarfer:
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 771 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

love that neville still had the neck to talk up a potential move for rice to man u like there was absolutely any appeal there whatsoever.

any player with half a mind towards their development beyond the size of their account won't go anywhere near that absolute car crash of a club.