CCR3: Oxford Utd 4-0 West Ham Utd (25/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Re: ⚽Oxford United v West Ham United: LC R3 Match Thread

Post by chigwells finest »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:12 pm the club should refund every fan that went

if not the club then the players

what would it cost £10-£15k ??
said that last night . totally disrespected the wonderful travelling support this club gets
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Also, Roberto had a great game against Newport, did he not?
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Perhaps the Rice AND Noble combination is the essential factor in any success.

Noble against Wimbledon had to carry the whole midfield. He's never shone with that burden.
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Roberto was the least of our problems. He made one worldie.

6-0 wouldn't have been an unfair result. They had stacks of chances, we created practically nothing from half hour in.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

I'd imagine a defensive midfielder that can step in for Rice, will be high on our list of priorities, if not in January then definitely the summer.

Assuming he is still here then, if he has a good Euro 2020 with England, the vultures will be circling.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:12 pm the club should refund every fan that went

if not the club then the players

what would it cost £10-£15k ??
1,500 tickets at £24 and £1 booking fee = £37,500.

About 3 hour’s pay for the team that played.

Have we ever had a refund? I can’t recall one. Martin Allen bought a round after the St Valentines Day Massacre, but that’s about it.
Last edited by Doc H Ball on Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I know it is hard to argue the truth, but if the game was thrown or played with little intention to succeed, then I would be pissed and a refund would be entirely justified in my view.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I'm not interested in a refund.

I would however quite like to see us win a trophy.

The fact that Oxford United wanted to win a game more than West Ham United is very telling : the leadership and direction at our club is just wrong.
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

apart from feeling sympathy for our travelling fans I can't say this result either upsets me or surprises me. Somehow I feel more comfortable being hammered by a good-performing lower-league side, than getting done by a lucky deflection in the last minute. We were obviously terrible and deserved what we got. Unfortunately this is not a new experience for a hammers fan of any age group. Probably the only difference now to 40 years ago is that so many 'top' teams are suffering cup 'shocks'. Even our next opponents Bournemouth lost at Burton last night, making Saturday's match a redemption special!
@dave_boy
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by @dave_boy »

Chastening to say the least.

On the upside, I had a pre-match pint at an indoor mini golf centre. A first for me. Every cloud & all that . . . . .
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

To those that went what was Holland like? Would you loan him out or involve in the squad. What did you make of him ?
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

As I sent out the "Spurs lost to a zoo" Whatsapp on Tuesday night a chill went down my spine as I knew we'd somehow steal the "let downs" trophy from them. I don't normally do gloating for this reason and straight away it's come back to bite me on the arse. Note to self: Keep trap shut.

Can't wait for the FA cup in Jan, repeat, repeat.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

mushy wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:17 pm How come Oxford can do it and we cant?

I think they must have wanted it more than us
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Porkeyes wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:39 pm As I sent out the "Spurs lost to a zoo" Whatsapp on Tuesday night a chill went down my spine as I knew we'd somehow steal the "let downs" trophy from them. I don't normally do gloating for this reason and straight away it's come back to bite me on the arse. Note to self: Keep trap shut.

Can't wait for the FA cup in Jan, repeat, repeat.
Yup, you know as well as me, that as that competition approaches there will be plenty of calls on here for an away tie. Blunts or Millwall away being the most popular demands and we also know that the team put out for these matches will not look very dissimilar to last nights and neither will the result either
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Often an away tie against another Premier League team who also have the wrong mentality and attitude is preferable to an away tie against a lower league tie for whom these games are the biggest of the season
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

People at the match can only judge on what they see. It is pointless speculating how X player will develop or a give myriad of excuses. On a match thread you have to call a spade a spade. Who's to blame, well everyone other than the poor sods wasting their time and money attending the game. Manager, players, owners. All have a hand in what was seen last night.

Roberto. A downgrade on the player he replaced. A cheap never mind the quality feel the width signing.
Zabaletta. Presumably picked to add experience and leadership to the team, showed none of those qualities.
Masualka. Careless and unprofessional.
Diop. Started OK but soon started playing to the level of those around him.
Balbuana. Did nothing to suggest he was fighting to replace Ogbonna in the first team
Wilshere. OK first half, faded second. Seemed to give up.
Sanchez. Sprayed the ball all over the pitch, nowhere near a team mate. I can't say he gave up because he didn't give anything in the first place.
Fornals. OK. Must have wondered what the hell was going on around him.
Holland. A positive. Created most chances first half but lack of experience meant he was often dispossessed or picked the wrong final ball.
Snodgrass. Was he even playing?
Ajeti. The Oxford strikers pissed all over him in comparison. Again must have wondered what was going on.

The rot had set in and momentum very much with Oxford by the time most of the subs were used so no real surprise that they did not create that much impact.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

To the players the game did not matter.

The team we played last night (subs included) would win that league if it was their week in week out bread and butter and they gave it their all. Seriously are people suggesting the likes of Diop, Wilshere, Masuaku, Balbuena, Snodgrass, Anderson, Noble, Haller et al do not have the talent to win league 1 if their attitude is right? The fact they got turned over as comprehensively as they did was not a lucky win for a plucky lower level team but an arrogant, disinterested, disrespectful Premier side.
mike1961
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by mike1961 »

I think it is difficult to assess Holland on last night's performance. He showed willing and combined well on occasions with Matsuaku but when he did manage to get a cross into their area there was usually just Ajeti there and I can't remember the cross getting to him once. He was ineffective as a result but 2 or 3 more players in their area at the right time could have made a difference.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

2 Bob the lot of them ruined my day

I done f**k all work today coz I pissed off and I'd get sacked quicker than any of those over paid lazy up their own arse limp wristed big girls blouses

40 yrs of Hurt
FA Cup Still Gleaming

I'd be happy with the League Cup, we once had the best record in it for a team that hadn't won, now League 2 and League 1 teams jsut want us at home as it's a walkover the them

:x
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Kialos wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:13 pm People at the match can only judge on what they see. It is pointless speculating how X player will develop or a give myriad of excuses. On a match thread you have to call a spade a spade. Who's to blame, well everyone other than the poor sods wasting their time and money attending the game. Manager, players, owners. All have a hand in what was seen last night.

Roberto. A downgrade on the player he replaced. A cheap never mind the quality feel the width signing.
Zabaletta. Presumably picked to add experience and leadership to the team, showed none of those qualities.
Masualka. Careless and unprofessional.
Diop. Started OK but soon started playing to the level of those around him.
Balbuana. Did nothing to suggest he was fighting to replace Ogbonna in the first team
Wilshere. OK first half, faded second. Seemed to give up.
Sanchez. Sprayed the ball all over the pitch, nowhere near a team mate. I can't say he gave up because he didn't give anything in the first place.
Fornals. OK. Must have wondered what the hell was going on around him.
Holland. A positive. Created most chances first half but lack of experience meant he was often dispossessed or picked the wrong final ball.
Snodgrass. Was he even playing?
Ajeti. The Oxford strikers pissed all over him in comparison. Again must have wondered what was going on.

The rot had set in and momentum very much with Oxford by the time most of the subs were used so no real surprise that they did not create that much impact.
I agree with the assessment of the first eleven, but the last sentence is letting off Haller and Anderson [and Noble] lightly.
It was only 1-0 with 25 minutes left when Anderson joined the fray. Haller had been on 10 minutes already. Their combined value is close to £100m. They really should be able to make a noticeable difference in a game like last nights, yet, we got a lot worse