AFC Bournemouth 2-2 West Ham Utd (28/09/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

traxop

Re: ⚽ AFC Bournemouth v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by traxop »

Both sides had chances to win it. For us, it was a shame that we didn't convert on Ogbonna's air-header(any touch would have seen in gone in) or Anderson's overhead volley.

I think Bournemouth had the clearer breaks and therefore the cleaner sights on goals but damn, we were so good inside the box. Both Haller and Yarmo. are so comfortable navigating and standing up their man inside the box.

The final scoreline of 2-2 is a fair result and as far as I'm concerned it's another bogey team navigated AWAY from home(which sets us up nicely for our reverse fixture). We're still unbeaten in the league since that first game day. Lovely jubbly.
claretnblueglasses
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by claretnblueglasses »

Very pleased with that performance and content with the result at a place we generally seem to struggle at.

Keeps the unbeaten run going and we’re up to 3rd in the league (for the time being!).

Yarmolenko was absolutely fantastic and threatened every time he was on the ball. His best game overall for us, eclipsing last season’s game away at Everton IMO.

Rice’s best game of the season so far and I don’t know for sure but I can’t remember him misplacing a single pass in the entire game! Would like to see.

While Roberto didn’t do anything wrong I can’t help but feel nervous when the opposition have a shot, a cross comes in or when the ball is at his feet. Fingers crossed Fab isn’t out for too long.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Eddie Howe practising alehouse football .....whod've thunk it :D
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

3rd.....Image

Was like many a Bournemouth West Ham game.

Where they manage to fiddle out a few goals and we often look the better side.

We were good, very good at times...........nice point. On to Palace.. :scarfer:
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

steveyrockstar wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:06 pm Dodgy VAR goal? All the VAR decisions were bang on today. I thought so anyway.
Any goal involving VAR is dodgy as far as i am concerned, it is a cancer on the game and needs to be removed. I'd settle for the bad decisions anyday
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

With the shirt pull thing, both Cresswell's on King and King's (?) on Ogbonna were both potential penalties.

First time this season we've played a team that's so obviously been up to all this lark.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

traxop wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:58 pm That's because King and Cresswell were both wrestling each other. It was equally illegal for the attacker to stiff arm the defender as it was the defender to grab hold of the shirt. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Think that particular instance may have been nine of one, quarter of a dozen of the other. Can't have complained if it got called, there will be softer pens given this weekend.
pete the hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by pete the hammer »

We probably would have lost that last year. Team looks like a solid team.
Just a thought about the late penalty claim.
If the ref gave it, VAR would NOT have overturned his decision for being a clear and obvious error. So ref should be given a bit of credit for the decision.
COYI
kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by kevino »

lots of moans about Roberto and he did look dodgy but I haven't seen any mention of a crucial save he made when it was 1-2 in staying on his feet to deny Wilson. If that had gone in we would have been dead
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Good game, good performance and a satisfying point.

Lots of good passing and attacking play, Anderson key in both goals but quiet otherwise, Yarmo excellent, Fredericks linking/overlapping with him well, Nobes done his bit and aside from being sold a dummy for their second Rice was excellent...world class in fact.

Think we're building something, but still too easily played through at the back and I doubt we have the personnel to play such a tight off-side trap...as both their goals demonstrated.

STILL. HATE. VAR.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:10 pmWith the shirt pull thing, both Cresswell's on King and King's (?) on Ogbonna were both potential penalties.
Think Cresswell might've been in trouble had King not wait for 2-3 seconds to go down.
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by neathiron »

'stone hammer wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:55 pm Cracking game and probably a fair result.
Plenty of action and controversy by the sounds of it. Would probably be the ideal match to show as Game Of The Day on Sky sports later. Having said that Chelsea won their 1st league game at home under Lampard against a poor Brighton team! Cynic in me tells me their game will get the vote, seeing as Liverpool were on BT earlier!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

kevino wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:11 pm lots of moans about Roberto and he did look dodgy but I haven't seen any mention of a crucial save he made when it was 1-2 in staying on his feet to deny Wilson. If that had gone in we would have been dead
Good shout, Kev. Hugely important stop.

FWIW... :)

upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

REally good performance overall. Yarmolenko outstanding, i thought. He and Haller look lkie theyre really on the same wavelength. Shame our defence still struggling.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Anderson is a really, really peculiar player. The bane of all those guys in newspapers around the country who have to assign players a score out of 10 for their performance. The only player who can be a 4/10 and 8/10, simultaneously.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

I think we look a very decent side apart from at cb. We’re still not consistent enough there. Bournemouth pulled Oggy and Issa apart quite easily and frequently. It’s going to be the injuries that determine how we do. An injury at any number of positions and our quality drops significantly. Today’s was a massive blow.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Unbeaten away (league) run continues. Sounds like a reasonable performance and a valuable point.

Up to third until Arsenal and Leicester go back ahead of us.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I looked at the stats at half time, and they (a team in 6th) only had 3 shots, with 1 on target.

I think Bob -who has a touch of the Kirk St Moritz's about him - coming on unsettled us a bit and we started sloppily and slowly second half but I don't think we defended that badly.

First goal was marginal for offside, and second goal was Yarmy playing the bloke on by drifting back a bit too far - the back 4 had him offside. There was a little spell in the third quarter where it looked like Rice was having to do it all on his own in central midfield.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

kevino wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:11 pm lots of moans about Roberto and he did look dodgy but I haven't seen any mention of a crucial save he made when it was 1-2 in staying on his feet to deny Wilson. If that had gone in we would have been dead
Was gonna mention that. That was a fantastic save and he also made a couple of simple, bread and butter ones. Not sure why people are so nervous of him (me included!).
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Aceface wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:16 pm Anderson is a really, really peculiar player. The bane of all those guys in newspapers around the country who have to assign players a score out of 10 for their performance. The only player who can be a 4/10 and 8/10, simultaneously.
100% agree. He can go from looking jaded and uninterested to slicing the other side apart in a stretch of a few minutes. Tbh, to me he’s spent a little too much time on the jaded side this season. When Manu is in there he definitely picks his effort way up. I suppose that’s why he’s a Hammer. If he were more consistent he’d be playing on a CL side.