West Ham Utd 1-2 Crystal Palace (05/10/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Crystal Palace: Match Thread

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

mushy wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:41 pm Our issue yesterday was letting in two soft goals and not making enough of the chances we made.
This - completely agree .
One of those days .

Having said that , if we have any ambition of becoming a regular Top 8 side we need to have more players capable of going past defenders .
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

People who think we will come top six are a bit cloud cuckoo land IMHO
We are not a bad side. We are actually quite good but so are lots of other teams. We are not one of the best six sides

Our only wins are are against two teams who might get relgeated and a Man U second string. And there first string is rubbish anyway

We are a slightly better than middle of the pack team. Probably same as last year

We may break the elite at some point soon but it won't be this season
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

One of the best passing goals I've ever seen. Think it was thirteen passes from inside our half to the back of the net. Absolutely loved it.

Palace are a good team and deserved the win. They dominated the midfield reaped the benefits - in context I can't have any complaints about them nicking the win.

Interestingly, we defended very narrowly, conceded lots of space on either flank when Palace had possession. Haven't got a clue if that affected the outcome.

Penalty and the VAR goal were the right decisions. Don't like the outcomes of either but that's life.

Biggest complaint is that it was a relatively dull game, was expecting much more of a rip-roaring game.

Agree with those who said some of our 'creative' players had a hard time. Noticed Yarmolenko often had two markers during our build ups. Anderson plays much, much better when Masuaku is behind him - and in front of him.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Managed to calm down, at last.

We beat Man Utd a few weeks ago, and we didn't play particularly well.

We lost last night, again we didn't play very well.

We will lose games that we deserve to win, and win games we deserve to lose.

It's football, these things happen, just a shame that the game is being ruined by VAR.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

richneal wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:51 pm One of the best passing goals I've ever seen. Think it was thirteen passes from inside our half to the back of the net. Absolutely loved it.

Palace are a good team and deserved the win. They dominated the midfield reaped the benefits - in context I can't have any complaints about them nicking the win.

Interestingly, we defended very narrowly, conceded lots of space on either flank when Palace had possession. Haven't got a clue if that affected the outcome.

Penalty and the VAR goal were the right decisions. Don't like the outcomes of either but that's life.

Biggest complaint is that it was a relatively dull game, was expecting much more of a rip-roaring game.

Agree with those who said some of our 'creative' players had a hard time. Noticed Yarmolenko often had two markers during our build ups. Anderson plays much, much better when Masuaku is behind him - and in front of him.

Very good summary. Personally, I don't think either side really did enough to win the game. It is always disappointing to be undone and the match settled by two set pieces and better defending would have ensured we got the points. I would've taken the 1-0 and so would everybody else here
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

For some reason yesterday was one of the most disappointing football matches I can remember. No idea why really. Got ever so drunk and have felt ropey all day. I guess I was stupid enough to start believing we were onto something good again. Now I’m fairly certain we are back to being West Ham of old. We did play some good stuff but in the end wasn’t good enough.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by costa75 »

No urgency, no tempo, and in slow motion when trying to move the ball.

Poor.
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

Was about to post something almost identical Georgee.

Surprised I’m this teed off tbh. I thought I was cooler that. Still the same pimply 13 year old scrote who used to struggle with a reverse.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

going back to the norwich game, we've become very conservative. our play has been metronomic to say the least and revolves around keeping the ball for as long as possible to craft a half dozen high quality chances a game. bournemouth was the exception.

you can look at yesterday and say poor finishing did us in, or you could say that such a cold blooded, mechanical style of play can lead to whole games getting shitehoused away from us by teams with no such desire to tap it about.

more to the point, it's fairly dull to watch. there's a time and a place for it as the absolutely beautiful team goal showed, but other than that it took us going a goal down to show a bit of blood and thunder.

i reckon had palace scores early in the first half, we'd have won comfortably 3-1
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

I thought we played pretty well, a 7/10 performance. It was a game that could easily have gone either way, and Palace are set up very well defensively. Rice's handball is just one of those things, and it was gutting to lose it mainly because we deserved something. But in the bigger picture of things, I thought it was a good performance. Two teams in every game.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Marky wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:28 pm I agree. In your opinion who are the players that you refer to in the last sentence ?
You've put me on the spot now, Marky! :D That'll teach me, shooting my mouth off..
Just looked back at the starting 11. On paper they look a good team & it makes you wonder why we didn't win yesterday. Then you remember the game..
The easy ones to say are Wilshere, Sanchez & Zaba. I realise 2 of them only played a bit part yesterday. Sadly, I think 2 of them are now too old. You can still see flashes of brilliance from Wilshere & Zaba but I just think too many injuries have adversely affected Wilshere even though he's ONLY 27. If he loses the ball, he simply isn't usually fast enough to win it back.
Zaba's still got his great football brain which is probably the only reason why he's still playing. If Sanchez used to be good, I'm afraid we really haven't seen hardly any of it during his time with us. Had a lengthy injury which didn't help him though.
The Snod sadly I think, may be now on borrowed time with us. I don't like the way he takes his corners & if one of the best things that we say about him is how much he runs & gets about the pitch, at 32 the poor sod's not going to be able to keep that up forever.
I'm not saying I want them gone at all but both Lanzini & Anderson concern me. Both have got sublime skills, especially Anderson but we are not seeing nearly enough of either of them in games.
I honestly am not sure, what went wrong yesterday. Either too many of our players had an off day or we simply haven't got the players to destroy teams like Palace, even at home. That sounds like I'm slagging off Palace & I don't mean to. They've got very good coaches & some dangerous players but are they good enough to finish top 8, where WE would like to be? Unlikely, I would think. And they've just beat us at home.
The only thing I'm sure about this season is that there is no way that we are going to be relegated. I suppose that's progress, of sorts...
Will be VERY interesting to compare the next match with last season's result.
Xabbu
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Xabbu »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:19 pm I noticed a stat on that looking at Tielemans at Leicester.

Tielemans'
Passes - 423
Forward - 135
Backwards - 70

Lanzini
Passes - 318
Forward - 75
Backward - 76

Nowhere near good enough from Lanzini.
I don’t mean to be pedantic but those numbers don’t add up I’m sure the missing passes were neither exactly sideways or given to the opponent. But I agree with the sentiment
Boom Kid
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Boom Kid »

Can anyone tell me why the palace player who scored their first gave it the crossed irons - was he taking the piss ?
I just don't get it. :eh:
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Boom Kid wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:08 pm Can anyone tell me why the palace player who scored their first gave it the crossed irons - was he taking the piss ?
Nor I.
It seems to becoming more prevalent in the game . Clearly they all can't be Hammers fans. Judging by the average footballer(non West Ham Obvs :) )
I suspect they're showing their devotion to and desire to appear, hands down tracky bottoms, one sock in, rapping on The fuckin X Factor.

Curnts

I could be wrong
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Xabbu wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:52 pm I don’t mean to be pedantic but those numbers don’t add up I’m sure the missing passes were neither exactly sideways or given to the opponent. But I agree with the sentiment
Just off the Premier League official site mate.
antonyirons

Post by antonyirons »

47 penalties since the start of the 2013/14 season? That's just ridiculous. We've probably had 12/15 over the same period. I'm not saying it wasn't a genuine penalty but if we'd had that kind of good fortune over the past five and a bit seasons (where so many penalty awards depend on the referee's judgement) we'd have finished several places higher each season with Nobes a dead cert to despatch all 47. Palace probably would have been relegated at some point without all those 'extra' goals. Time our luck turned and refs started giving us 10 penalties a season.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Boom Kid wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:08 pm Can anyone tell me why the palace player who scored their first gave it the crossed irons - was he taking the piss ?
It’s an Eagle innit.
Xabbu
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Xabbu »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:56 pm Just off the Premier League official site mate.
I wasn’t disputing what you’d put up but those are weird numbers. I think the difference is Lanzini carries the ball more than tielmans and therefore having made yards tends to turn back and recycle. Tielmans looks for a channel pass to Vardy a lot. And is an excellent passer. Different styles imho
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Georgee Paris wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:28 pm For some reason yesterday was one of the most disappointing football matches I can remember. No idea why really. Got ever so drunk and have felt ropey all day. I guess I was stupid enough to start believing...
Yeah, biggest kick in the teeth since some refereeing decisions in ‘15/16 for me.

Like you I just started feeling a tingling of optimism which is normally when it all goes south.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

I think it was such a disappointing defeat because Palace were absolutely there to be beaten, yet we never got out of second gear.

Instead of making substitutions for similar midfielders, maybe Pellers should have put Ajeti on?