Everton 2-0 West Ham Utd (19/10/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: ⚽ Everton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by thejackhammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:08 am that's fine but city have players who run hard and fast and get back into position. augero silva x 2 sterling all work harder than our lot !

slight doubt on snoddy with a strain but I expect him to be fit. rice with a virus is more concerning but again he was on the bench last night so should be ok.

all should be back by tomorrow including Arthur from africa !
I see you've jumped back on the 'our players don't work hard' bandwagon.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Is Rice going to be alright for this one?
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Patito wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:23 pm Is Rice going to be alright for this one?
Id say it was all rubbish anyways and it was Southgate protecting him a bit after a poor performance on the Friday , plenty of slating from morons on social media. Take the Sunday off. Out the team and just you will get another chance
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

i reckon we'll put in a similar performance to bournemouth, albeit against much weaker opposition.

i'd actually be gutted not to come away with three points.
Patito

Post by Patito »

I hope you're right, mumbles. That sounds about right anyway.

Beavis Danzig wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:47 pm
i'd actually be gutted not to come away with three points.
At the risk of sounding a bit arrogant, me too. Silva is under heavy pressure, a lot of their mob can't wait for him to be pushed. They are there for the taking imo.
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

When an opposition's manager is under pressure, it's not the fans that do him, it's his players. If they want to see him out, they won't be firing on all cylinders. Expecting a 1-1 draw.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

We really should be looking to pick up 3 points against this lot.

If we lose this our start to the season begins to look pretty disappointing when you consider who we’ve played and the form of the perceived ‘better’ teams we’ve played.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we need to get something from this game and after the palace result we need a win to put us back in the top 4-6 and for the feelgood factor to continue. lose this one and we are starting to slide with must win games at home coming up against sheffield and Newcastle.

they do have some good players and are not as bad as their position suggests. we need to have the right attitude and turn up for this one. we need to play at a faster tempo. play like we did against villa palace etc with slow passing and we will get done. start fast and go for them as they are lacking in confidence . an early goal for us will have the desired effect with the natives making it toxic for the players. however if they score first they will support them 100% and the game will run away from us.

players like anderson lanzini masuaka have to perform in this one. I think they will.

I hope to see johnson and holland on the bench with zaba and snoddy missing out
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

ChzMff wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:32 pm I feel we’re trying to be a bit Man City lite, manoeuvring the ball to find space out wide, get to the by-line then low across the box for a tap-in. Haller has got a few goals like that already.
We are definitely not banging in high crosses to head on plenty of occasions when players could, which must be down to coaching/instructions as it seems to be consistent. I find it a little odd given how dominant Haller is in the air during build up play, why not put high crosses into the box?
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

i think the lack of crosses oddly enough comes from pellegrini's defensive philosophy that you can't concede if you've got the ball.

crosses tend to be low percentage gambles that put whether or not you get countered in the lap of the gods. i think we should definitely be using them more (early crosses pinged from deep ideally), but it has contributed to not getting caught out as much as we did with a similar gung ho philosophy under bilic, who was a massive fan of the high pinged ball.
Patito

Post by Patito »

We tend to favour low, close-range cut backs as opposed to your more traditional higher, run-of-the-mill crosses. A few examples of the top of my head:

Haller away at Watford.
Haller's miss v Palace.
Haller's goal v Palace.
Haller v Norwich.
Anderson against Man U last season.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

There's quite a lot of analysis which shows that crossing the ball is a pretty inefficient route to scoring:

http://thepowerofgoals.blogspot.com/201 ... osses.html

https://spielverlagerung.com/2015/06/22 ... tive-tool/

http://business-analytic.co.uk/blog/cro ... liverpool/

That last one's quite interesting as pertains to the presence of Carroll and Downing in the same Liverpool team.

I don't know what the Premier League count as a 'cross' - whether it's just anything coming in from wide in the final third, including those cut backs into the box, or specifically the higher balls into the box from wide, but we were 9th for crosses in 2017/18 (732) - that became 13th with 630 in 2018/19. This season we are 15th (120) currently.

It's obviously not an exact science that not crossing = success, because joint 1st and 3rd are Liverpool and Man City (185 and 178) respectively. You wouldn't necessarily paint those two teams as 'put it in the mixer' teams that are regularly crossing into the box, which is why I'm not sure what the Premier League measures as a cross. Equally, Liverpool have Robertson and Alexander-Arnold, probably two of the best crossers of the ball in the league, so it's probably unsurprising to see them utilise that as an approach.

Everton are the other team top of the league for crosses, with 185 as well.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

YorksHammer wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:52 am It's obviously not an exact science that not crossing = success, because joint 1st and 3rd are Liverpool and Man City (185 and 178) respectively. You wouldn't necessarily paint those two teams as 'put it in the mixer' teams that are regularly crossing into the box, which is why I'm not sure what the Premier League measures as a cross. Equally, Liverpool have Robertson and Alexander-Arnold, probably two of the best crossers of the ball in the league, so it's probably unsurprising to see them utilise that as an approach.
I think cut backs in the box would be excluded from "crosses" however both Liverpool and Man City send in a shitload of low driven crosses from just outside the box on the wings from quick counters that Sane, Mane, Sterling, Aguero etc put away in and around the 6 yard box. De Bruyne hit a beauty of a cross a couple of weeks ago iirc. We're too slow to achieve that at the min, this team desperately needs pace, some of our players have it but seem afraid to use it.

Oh and 1-3 Coyi :scarfer:
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

I cannot see these not turning up, but if we score in the first half we will probably go on to win the game, that is if Lanzini can get his game into gear and if Anderson gets on the score sheet which is the only thing his game is missing currently. they will be all over Yamo like Scousers at free buffet so we will need to use him as a lure when double marked to open space for others.

Hopefully we get Silva the spanish.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Good news for all. After the next international break, around mid November time, we will have a completely uninterrupted, free of all disruption and an International no go exclusion zone in which to concentrate our minds for 4 solid months
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 425 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Everton like a high, hard press so we'll need to be both brave and smart with our passing. Break their press and we should create good chances.

2 all draw.
Estuary

Post by Estuary »

Swiss Pauli wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:34 pm Everton like a high, hard press so we'll need to be both brave and smart with our passing. Break their press and we should create good chances.

2 all draw.
If they play a high press against us we will slaughter them, we are set up to pass through sides and counter attack, Man Utd found that out, so did Norwich. It's the sides that sit ten behind the ball we have trouble with. If they leave a gap between their midfield and defense they will come to regret it.
Patito

Post by Patito »

It's looked like a very half-arsed high press in recent weeks too. Let's hope that continues.
Estuary

Post by Estuary »

Patito wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:43 pm It's looked like a very half-arsed high press in recent weeks too. Let's hope that continues.
I haven't seen them but if what you say is true it'll get messy.
Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

A propo flanks and crosses, I think their poor chain of results are also due to the "bad" performances of Digne.

Hes hasnt been till now the player he was last season, and thats bad news for them, as he was his best.

But, again, its the same by us with Anderson.

Maybe in such an open games of such an attacking minded teams, the both can endlessly just break the Pandora Box and get the strike of results that open the wings of such a teams with so many talented players...

Just saying...