West Ham Utd 1-1 Sheffield Utd (26/10/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

'stone hammer
Has liked: 784 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Sheffield United: Match thread (26/10)

Post by 'stone hammer »

EssexIron wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:01 pm I thought the Anderson sub was the correct decision.He was poor today. Under hitting through passes and taking to many touches. He seems low on confidence, probably needs a goal.
Agreed, he had a couple of great chances to play a simple, but killer ball, and underhit them both.

I'd be tempted to drop him, but the options aren't great. Maybe try Masuaku as a LM? We're really missing Antonio
OFT
Has liked: 3241 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:05 pm
Lanzini did nowt after he came on. Haller got ZERO quality service and I reckon his confidence is shot to pieces already. Zaba can't cross a check so overlaps are useless
It's dreadful after another game like this. I want to be positive about things but one wonders if the players just don't know what they're supposed to be doing.
Anonymous doesn't begin to cover Lanzini.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Obviously 3pts would have been nice, but all you can ask for is improvement and some sort of reaction on last week and we definitely got that.

Shame we couldnt get the win though. :(
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

smuts wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:02 pm We were better off by at least 13 points last season thanks to the brilliance of Fabianski. Loads of games we got wins or draws thanks to him.

We've now got average Joe in goal and we've been found out because our defence will always make at least 2 blunders a game.

Add that to a baffling attacking system which seems to be playing a bit of slow tippy tappy and hope something comes off and we're looking poor all round.
Fab's keeping last season was top class. It's the lack of anything offensively that really concerns me. Zab plus Yarma = No pace down the right, Anderson was good defensively but like I've already said as soon as he get's into the final third his confidence and ability seems to evaporate. Cress is so inconstant with his delivery.

With Pellers as our manager I could/can accept being defensively open but I anticipated being an attacking side. Why get Haller and leave him so isolated? Someone needs to be within 10-15 yards of him at all times ideally. Last season I could see some progress but this season so far it's stagnant. Those that attend the games might have a different view but I don't think so.
Bill
Stranded in the smog
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Bill »

We are just far too slow and totally boring to watch. Anderson underhits 3 out of every 4 passes, but he's the only one with any pace on the break. So why does Pelle take him off and slow us even further?

Lanzini has done nothing this season, and lives on past glories.

We are missing the Fabianski clean sheets that masked our poor performances last season. We have a keeper unable to put in 90 minutes without a ricket. He dived from a standstill when a step left and he would save their goal.

Every cross towards Haller was floaty *****, so he can't attack the ball.

Remind me how Pellegrini is earning his money?I

We will be lucky to match last season's finish. Bottom 6 looks more likely.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

OFT wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:12 pm
Anonymous doesn't begin to cover Lanzini.
You're not allowed to say that on here apparently! :wink:
Last edited by westham,eggyandchips on Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingwe
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ingwe »

I've said it before; it's all about managing expectations.

We should just revise downwards, our expectation, to achieve anything other then Premier League survival.
To aspire to winning a cup, or to finish in the top 10 in the Premier League, is just beyond us.

Our owners haven't changed. They haven't suddenly become lovers of WHU. They remain business people who's sole interest is in getting the maximum return on their capital employed, be it at Birmingham City or West Ham United. So whilst this is the reality of our Club, nothing much is going to change. They'll spend the absolute minimum to maintain Premier League status to get the Sky money and to keep the Club in contention for a takeover which will see them rake in a fortune.

Repaying the loyalty of members and supporters who's hard-earned money is the icing on the proverbial cake is not within their remit.

So, I no longer get excited about anything the Club does anymore. If we win, great. If we put in performances where the players don't give a stuff, I no longer get angry or pepressed. I just realise I've supported a Club since 1963 with no ambition and less vision.

I'll remain a Hammer and just opt for the grey!
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

The blame has to lay at the manager’s feet IMO.

Haller scored or assisted over 30 goals last season. His Andy Carrol impression is hard to blame on anyone but Pellegrini.
The system isn’t working, we have no pace in central midfield. In fact here is a list of what’s wrong:

No pace
No movement off the ball
No one making runs in behind
No one close enough to Haller to feed off his knock downs
No sub striker
No sub wingers
No fit for purpose sub goalie

When Snodgrass comes in and looks like your best player you know you’re ****ed.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Ingwe wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:20 pm I've said it before; it's all about managing expectations.

We should just revise downwards, our expectation, to achieve anything other then Premier League survival.
To aspire to winning a cup, or to finish in the top 10 in the Premier League, is just beyond us.

Our owners haven't changed. They haven't suddenly become lovers of WHU. They remain business people who's sole interest is in getting the maximum return on their capital employed, be it at Birmingham City or West Ham United. So whilst this is the reality of our Club, nothing much is going to change. They'll spend the absolute minimum to maintain Premier League status to get the Sky money and to keep the Club in contention for a takeover which will see them rake in a fortune.

Repaying the loyalty of members and supporters who's hard-earned money is the icing on the proverbial cake is not within their remit.

So, I no longer get excited about anything the Club does anymore. If we win, great. If we put in performances where the players don't give a stuff, I no longer get angry or pepressed. I just realise I've supported a Club since 1963 with no ambition and less vision.

I'll remain a Hammer and just opt for the grey!
Agree 100% with this. Same sh*t, different year. Why get the hump when it's always the same?
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

The standard set by the captain is just laughable. I've never seen such a slow, lazy tackling performance from him over a number of games. John Fleck ran towards him today and did half a dummy, then just strolled past Noble like he wasn't there. Yes he makes the odd good pass, but he's done.

I like Noble, he's a great off field captain by all accounts, but to turn that performance in after last week says it all. Snodgrass showed him up for effort and passing. The attempt for their goal shows he just can't do it anymore.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

One good league performance in ten. Losing 4-0 to Oxford in the cup. Drawing to two promoted sides, one which couldn't wait to get the ball in the corner as stoppage time went up. Playing slow lacklusture football.

We are bang average, and there is no way Pellegrini deserves a contract extension come end of the season.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:24 pm The standard set by the captain is just laughable. I've never seen such a slow, lazy tackling performance from him over a number of games. John Fleck ran towards him today and did half a dummy, then just strolled past Noble like he wasn't there. Yes he makes the odd good pass, but he's done.

I like Noble, he's a great off field captain by all accounts, but to turn that performance in after last week says it all. Snodgrass showed him up for effort and passing. The attempt for their goal shows he just can't do it anymore.
.. and we've got another 2 years of him yet
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

jastons wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:43 pm We need to start with two strikers. There is no doubt in my mind about that.
Would we have won with Ajeti starting alongside Haller? Possibly.

Did we win with Haller on his own up front? No.

Should we start with two up front at Home v Newcastle? Yes.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1666 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Puff

even worse imvho, is that we are only halfway through Wilshere's 3 year deal and he can't even get in the match day squad.

what does that tell you ?

at least Noble is on the pitch.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Only players who come out of that game with their heads held high are Rice and Snodgrass, both of whom I thought played really well and covered a lot of ground.

Roberto isn’t great
Full backs are rubbish
Central defenders are good but look shaky at times
Noble isn’t great
Lanzini is overrated and always has been
Fornals may come good but doesn’t look ready
Wingers are always wanting to cut back and not go on the outside, also wasteful on the ball at times
Haller is good but completely isolated
Ajeti, same as Fornals
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:30 pm Puff

even worse imvho, is that we are only halfway through Wilshere's 3 year deal and he can't even get in the match day squad.

What it tells me is how accommodating we are with our contracts. How many matches has Reid played since we gave him a 6 year deal ?
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:30 pm Puff

We need a full midfield clear out.

We should play 4-3-3 and Rice is the only player in the whole squad fit for that middle 3. It’s what ruins Lanzini and Anderson, they’re constantly having to back track or play safe passes as they know if it doesn’t come off we are ****ed.

If you had Rice plus two powerful pacy CM’s then Haller, Anderson and Yarmolenko/Lanzini would look very different in front of them.
brothernero
Has liked: 749 likes
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by brothernero »

Why do you always feel the need to take a pot shot at Winston Reid Puff? You never miss an opportunity do you.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1163 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

On way home

Thought that was poor. We only had the ball most of the first half because they let us. This 4-1-4-1 has been utter crap all season, can we please bin it. Regarding Lanzini - saw first hand Pellegrini pointing him to stay deep repeatedly once he’d come on. Seriously, what is the point.
Last edited by hammer1975 on Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1666 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

and to think we have

Masuaku - 2024
Cresswell - 2023
Hugill - 2022

:asleep: