West Ham Utd 2-3 Newcastle Utd (02/11/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Newcastle United: Match thread (2/11)

Post by ihateroeder »

Why do we have this fascination with going side to side (slowly) ending in a ***** cross to one man in the box!
This combined with a ***** keeper and the inability to defend simple passes/set pieces is only going to end one way!
Patito

Post by Patito »

I fear the match against Burnley will go the same way as when we played them away last season...
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

I know that as a West Ham fan I'm supposed to love flair and guile etc but right now give me 11 men that'll take a ball in the b*llocks to stop a goal, skill without desire and work rate is pointless.
Unlucky Alf

Post by Unlucky Alf »

Worst home performance under Pellegrini for me. We're starting to look clueless again.

Who is that guy in goal for us and why is he a professional goalkeeper? I would have done a better job tonight.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Croydon wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:20 pm Image

Nice image here of Balbuena ducking out of the way of Shelvey's shot that hit the bar.
That's bloody criminal for a defender. And isn't he supposed to be our 'hard man'.
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by MadMart »

we really stunk the place out again - against **** opposition - it'll be another relegation scrap I tell ya - f*** off The Daves plus one Headbanger
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

and there was me shouted down when I advised being pragmatic some times......

Zaba should have gotten hauled off halfway through the first half and half time at the very latest.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

"It's a bad result and it is a performance that isn't West Ham like," Hammers scorer Snodgrass told BBC Match of the Day.

"We need a reality check and need to know we need to start getting points on the board.

"We need to be solid and resolute, we could have been four or five down. We can't give teams a three goals start."

In Snodders we trust
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Nice image here of Balbuena ducking out of the way of Shelvey's shot that hit the bar.
Balbuena is a poor player. He stuck his hand up for offside in the middle of the six yard box last week. He made error after error today

It is baffling Ogbonna got dropped for him
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

There is no excuse for moving out of the way of a goal bound shot. It's strange, Diop and Balbuena had a good partnership last year.

We were really poor today. It was so predictable at 2pm when the team news was released.
Faithless

Post by Faithless »

Mandatory 1 week fine, same goes for turning your back on a shot. Take the hit ffs it's what you're paid to do.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

And to top it all, Shelvey was light years ahead of ours.
Penfold711
Has liked: 2003 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by Penfold711 »

Not often that I will post on a match thread, particularly after a loss, but I was wondering how often other teams have both centre backs as well as (full backs) going up together for a corner. I would have thought it more sensible to have one of them on the halfway line, at least, to cover a possible counter-attack. Instead, we have Anderson being the only player busting a gut to get back at the opposition player breaking through and one-on-one with Roberto. This happened twice, that I saw, during the first half.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

you probably didn't see Zaba on the half way line then .....easily done because he was left in the dust - as you say TWICE.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Not having that Balbuena is a bad player, he was quite formidable last season with Diop and deemed as ‘a find’ for the price we paid.

Ogbonna is clumsy at the best of times, loves a grapple.

The fact is we have never spent proper money on defenders, bar Diop.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Penfold711 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:27 pm Not often that I will post on a match thread, particularly after a loss, but I was wondering how often other teams have both centre backs as well as (full backs) going up together for a corner. I would have thought it more sensible to have one of them on the halfway line, at least, to cover a possible counter-attack. Instead, we have Anderson being the only player busting a gut to get back at the opposition player breaking through and one-on-one with Roberto. This happened twice, that I saw, during the first half.
It's not a problem when Fred and Arfur play.

The problem is when we start leaving Zabaleta, Cresswell and Noble as the defence against a counter. They are all far too slow. This stuff cost Bilic his job.
jimbobbs

Post by jimbobbs »

A great big pile of ****… what on earth has Fred done to be left out again? I think I can see Pell's thinking - Fornals was bought in on the assumption he would be on Anderson's wavelength. This hasn't worked out (Adapting to the league etc) and we have reverted - to the usual, shaky, nervous, unfortunately. But yeah G&S can f'ing do one, please...
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:10 pm I feel sorry for Anderson a bit as he is our only outlet and as such the spotlight his firmily on him. Thought he was ok today but with zero movement or pace in front of him there is only so much he can do. But in the main his performances haven't been great but far from terrible.

Thing with haller is he needs to realise the prem requires you to be a bit nasty. Atm he is a slow, stationary powder puff 6ft5 jack of no trades. With arnie, he had that ability to recieve the ball into feet, turn, push a defender away and sprint towards goal.
We no longer have that option and we dont know how to adapt. Even when haller receives the ball and lays it off to a midfielder phase 2 of the attack isnt fast or inventive enought to trouble defences.
I actually think in time haller will go on to be a quality forward but he looks lost out there.

International break coming up and a big shake up required.
Anderson is a average and a complete bottle job. We’ve been had on his as well
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

steps wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:34 pm Not having that Balbuena is a bad player, he was quite formidable last season with Diop and deemed as ‘a find’ for the price we paid.

Ogbonna is clumsy at the best of times, loves a grapple.

The fact is we have never spent proper money on defenders, bar Diop.
Formidable? The bloke in goal last season was for sure. Papered over the defensive cracks.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

jimbobbs wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:43 pm A great big pile of ****… what on earth has Fred done to be left out again? I think I can see Pell's thinking - Fornals was bought in on the assumption he would be on Anderson's wavelength. This hasn't worked out (Adapting to the league etc) and we have reverted - to the usual, shaky, nervous, unfortunately. But yeah G&S can f'ing do one, please...
Fornals is literally the worst signing this lot have made. Both financially and tactically. Bloke hasn’t had one half decent game for us and has looked nowhere near this level when he has played.

Any idiot could see G&S would only allow spending of their standard 80 million or so in the summer, so he’d have only been a solid future investment if we hadn’t flogged 4 strikers too.

Bet he doesn’t ever have a decent game for us. He’s one of those that we’ll all shirk at seeing pictures of when he’s playing for Valencia or someone in two years, when this manager has gone.

Could have saved the dough, kept Diangana & Cullen in the 22. Fella is going to be Pel’s equivalent of Beauchamp or Barrera

(Probably all a bit o.t.t but still livid about this afternoon)