West Ham Utd 2-3 Newcastle Utd (02/11/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Estuary
Has liked: 275 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Newcastle United: Match thread (2/11)

Post by Estuary »

madhammer wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:43 am The Saint-Maximim counter attack was like the bad old days at the end of Bilic's reign. In particular the Liverpool game where we lost 4-1 at home. We had a corner and 5 seconds later they had a 3 on 1 counter attack which Salah scored from.

https://youtu.be/JyaoE96rNMA

There's an argument that Fredericks and Masuaku should start week in and week out based on nothing more than their recovery pace to stop such situations occurring.

Their pace coupled with the greater attacking outlets and width they offer, particularly with wingers in Anderson and Yarmolenko who cut in ahead of them. Is perhaps the most baffling of all the decisions Pellegrini has made in recent weeks. I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on Cresswell as it was his shirt to lose after goals against Man Utd and Bournemouth, even if Masuaku only lost the shirt due to a harsh sending off against Villa.

However, as it has become reasonably clear that Haller isn't a striker to run the channels and i think all of his goals have come from in and around the 6 yard box with 3 of the 4 from balls slid in from low crosses i think it's imperative that Fredericks and Masuaku be reinstalled and given a solid run in the team for the attacking attributes they offer. They can both advance forward with the ball when they receive it which creates space and angles for Anderson and Yarmolenko to move in to as well as some sort of supply line to Haller.
Totally agree, fullbacks who can over lap at pace are essential to our attacking effectiveness and Yamo and Anderson look better when they have someone they can work with the open up opponents flanks.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Its baffling to me that over the past few months, Anderson, Yarmo, Fredericks and Masuaku look to be comfortably the most creative and he's dropped 2 of them and keeps subbing the other 2.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:41 pm Its baffling to me that over the past few months, Anderson, Yarmo, Fredericks and Masuaku look to be comfortably the most creative and he's dropped 2 of them and keeps subbing the other 2.
I think we're at the stage that he's going to have to start realising this is the case, or he's going to be in serious ****.

It's not even the results for me, it's simply the football we play.

Snod is a wonderful squad player & a great pro, but he's a Matt Taylor or a JOB. When he's starting and starring, you know we're in some trouble.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Bang on! e17.

:thup:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

To be fair to Snodinho, at least he shoots now and again!
He may not be as technically adept as some others, but his actual output leaves them in his wake
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

e17 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:43 pm I think we're at the stage that he's going to have to start realising this is the case, or he's going to be in serious ****.

It's not even the results for me, it's simply the football we play.

Snod is a wonderful squad player & a great pro, but he's a Matt Taylor or a JOB. When he's starting and starring, you know we're in some trouble.
I think we are already in serious ****. 14 goals conceded in 6 games. Oxford, Bournemouth, Palace, Everton, Sheff Utd and Newcastle. Something isn't right.

I'll be honest, if someone had told me a season and a quarter into Pellers management we'd still be playing Snodgrass, Noble, Cresswell, Zabaleta and crying out to bring Ogbonna back, I wouldn't have believed you. These were all players a lot of people wanted gone 2 seasons ago.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Newcastle Utd
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=134026

Unusual OV this week.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Estuary wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:20 pm Totally agree, fullbacks who can over lap at pace are essential to our attacking effectiveness and Yamo and Anderson look better when they have someone they can work with the open up opponents flanks.
It's just the basics isn't it and I wouldn't have thought you'd need to be on £10m a year to see that. You simply cannot play Cresswell and Zabaleta with Anderson and Yarmolenko. A & Y are wingers who cut in and very rarely go on the outside, so you need full backs who can overlap and get down the outside of them to give us some width. We don't have enough pace or skill to try and do everything through the middle.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:31 pm
Unusual OV this week.
Strewth, they sound like us.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:56 pm To be fair to Snodinho, at least he shoots now and again!
He may not be as technically adept as some others, but his actual output leaves them in his wake
And he can create, five key passes leading to shots at the weekend. I retract my previous doubts on him playing in the midfield for us at the moment, because he's shown over the past two weekends that he should be in there.

I actually think there were a couple of bright(er) spots for us in the mess on Saturday - Snodgrass, Anderson, and Haller all played well, as did Lanzini after coming on.

Ajeti must have one of the lowest number of passes and touches of the ball for any player having been on a pitch for 45 minutes this season - 7 touches, 3 passes. And yet two of those passes were key ones, still.
Estuary
Has liked: 275 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:31 pm The opposition view: Newcastle Utd

Unusual OV this week.
World class misery.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:31 pm The opposition view: Newcastle Utd

Unusual OV this week.
Christ, and I thought we were unhappy with the weekend...
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1786 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Imagine if they'd lost :shock:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:24 pm Imagine if they'd lost :shock:

they DIDN'T ??????

:lol:
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Unusual OV this week.
Blimey! There's always someone worse off than yourself.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

If Fredericks and Masuaku started we would've looked a lot better.

Anderson showed in the last 20 minutes what he's capable of, desperately inconsistent though.

Snodgrass our best player, and the only one willing to take the emphasis with a shot or a cross and not just pass it backwards and sideways.

The first goal was a foul from a counter attack, avoided if our fast fullbacks are there, the defending from the set piece was awful too.

Second and Third were all Roberto.

This loss is entirely on Pellegrini's team selection, Zabaleta at right back was asking for defeat.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:56 pm I'll be honest, if someone had told me a season and a quarter into Pellers management we'd still be playing Snodgrass, Noble, Cresswell, Zabaleta and crying out to bring Ogbonna back, I wouldn't have believed you. These were all players a lot of people wanted gone 2 seasons ago.
Well, given that we've been at our "world class football stadium" over 3 years now, and the main reason for the move was "competing with the top teams", it wasn't unreasonable to expect that the players listed above would now either be gone or else would be bit part back up players.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

People still damning with faint praise when it comes to Snodgrass.

The unpalatable truth is he’s simply more effective than any of Lanzini, Fornals or Wilshere.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

S-H wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:47 pm Bang on! e17.

:thup:
Decent tune, but I thought Stay Another Day was their magnum opus.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

A Newcastle fan sums it up thus. " A season where with a bit of investment and top six could've been possible and we take a giant leap backwards" I'll leave you lot to draw the comparisons"