West Ham Utd 2-3 Newcastle Utd (02/11/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Boooogers!

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Newcastle United: Match thread (2/11)

Post by Boooogers! »

I didn't even bat an eyelid, let aline celebrate when we scored our two goals. Since Palace i've been abject to west ham, like i was with allardyce in charge. At least he got a mediocre team to grind out results. Pellegrini looks almost as lost as Bilic did in his last season at ours
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

Peaches wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:11 pm The best we can hope for is to bring back Diangana to give us a bit more pace and to sign Boubakary Soumare from Liile who is out of contract in the summer to add a bigot pace and steel in the midfield.
No room for bigots at West Ham Peaches. Especially African ones. Hang your head son.
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:42 pm
Let's not pretend anymore. Today was the end of Noble. Off at half time against Newcastle at home. That's the leader of the club. Forget the history of him, the guy isn't leading anymore. It's embarrassing if I'm honest.

I'm afraid you're 100% right.

A few brave souls were saying this after the Palace **** show and were shot down by the regular die hard superfans on here.

Time to face reality boys and girls.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Boooogers! wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:02 am I'm afraid you're 100% right.

A few brave souls were saying this after the Palace **** show and were shot down by the regular die hard superfans on here.

Time to face reality boys and girls.

I've been saying it for weeks and I don't even want to. There was a 5 min period today where he sat in next to Rice and got on the ball and looked decent, he looked like Noble of old, but for the rest of the game he looks so far off the pace that's it's not him. He's just drifting between out wide of the midfield. He's losing tackles, giving away easy passes, not talking, losing every single 50/50 and header on the pitch and even when we concede, he just accepts it.

Do you know what, I don't even blame him, he must be more fed up than the rest of us, it's the same old ****
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

Deep down he knows he's done and i'm sure he'd be the first to step aside if the board/manager had upgraded where it was most needed in the summer. Can't fault his commitment to west ham over the years but everyone's day comes at some point
DannyboyDJL

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Boooogers! wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:20 am Deep down he knows he's done and i'm sure he'd be the first to step aside if the board/manager had upgraded where it was most needed in the summer. Can't fault his commitment to west ham over the years but everyone's day comes at some point
Sadly, it's getting to the point where I can question his commitment. Why is Anderson throwing himself in front of a shot on the line and Noble has barely crossed the half way line. He's been jogging for weeks and I've argued this on here. He looks physically and mentally done. It's the same b*llocks he's been doing for nearly 20 years so I don't blame him, but it's time to hand the armband on to Declan and blood the new kids. This lot are on their way out. Manager and all.
Humbug
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

After watching MOTD , our goalkeeper was at fault for 2 goals albeit he saved us going in 4-0 by half time. I think Newcastle player dived to get that free kick for their 1st goal (and Cresswell was actually fouled by the goalscorer). That said, it was comical seeing Zab trying to get his legs moving even with a 7 yard advantage over Saint-Maximim.

Our team as I see it has lots of weaknesses and the most obvious is 'footballing skills' . None of the below can compare with the intelligence and skill of Paolo Di Canio or Trevor Brooking.

Zabs legs gone
Noble legs can't cope with a weekly game , but he seems to play a lot better after 2 weeks rest.
Creswell isn't strong enough in the tackle- never has been since his knee injury a few years back
Anderson is creative and athletic but won't get involved in physical contact
Fredericks is quick but lacks basic footballing skills - like ball control and crossing
Ogbonna- slow as a tortoise on the turn but good in the air.
Balbuena - slow but good at last ditch tackles
Diop - poor anticipation , not a very intelligent defender but great athlete
Lanzini - shirks out of physical contact- powderpuff player but can score goals if given the opportunity
Rice - just a stopper and safe sideways passer
Snodgrass - probably our most skilful passer and best shot in our team but legs are going too.
Masuaku - Prone to making terrible errors and poor judgement, quick and can sometimes cross okay (nothing brilliant)
Roberto - Just plain poor positioning and judgement but seems to save more 1 on 1's than lets in.
Fornals - When I saw him on you-tube before we bought him , I thought he was incredibly slow for a young footballer. He's not going to get any faster and I think we've bought someone who will struggle with the PL pace of play. Might come good though - you never know.
Ajeti - Looks like a really mediocre player - is he better than Hugill?
Yarmolenko - scores goals but feel he doesn't give 100% all the time -Gives me the impression he is a lazy player but 2 terrible career threatening injuries on his Achilles hasn't helped.
Antonio - probably our best attacking player but I don't think he will be the same after the most recent hamstring injury (took almost a full season to recover his form after the previous hamstring tear). Think his career could actually be threatened if that hamstring never fully heals 100%.
Haller wasted up front on his own but has strength and can score if given the proper service.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

We always hear that football is a confidence game but is it really so drastic that the same players that were so comfortable a month or so ago are now struggling at home to Newcastle so badly? We weren’t brilliant back then and we aren’t shocking right now, I’m sure the truth is somewhere in the middle
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Boooogers! wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:55 pm No room for bigots at West Ham Peaches. Especially African ones. Hang your head son.
Auto correct. I was trying to write a bit of
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

Peaches wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:44 am Auto correct. I was trying to write a bit of
Yeah yeah, and i bet some of your best friends are of senegalese descent too...

😉
Willo1234567
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Willo1234567 »

Anderson wearing gloves today says it all
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

1. Schroedinger's Goalie
Simultaneously sh*t and good at the same time. Could have been 5-nil at half-time if it wasn't for him on the breakaways . . . (or 1-nil if Fab had been in goal).
Worst moment was probably his decision-making (lack thereof) for the second - comes out of goal and then changes his mind and stops in no-mans-land.

2. Cresswell
Couldn't compete for the headers for both the first and second. Both of the scorers were his responsibility - he got out-jumped for the first and completely lost his man the second. Not the first time that's happened.

3. Overall performance.
Bar the last 20 minutes or so, the West Ham performance was very similar to what we saw against Norwich, Man U, Palace and Sheff U - only significant difference between any of the above was the final score.

Tactically, Newcastle got the tactics spot on for the first-half: Hackney Marshes on a Sunday morning . . . boot the ball 50 yards and chase it . . . worked perfectly and did the job. Given that neither Cresswell or Zabaleta quite have the pace they once had (?) it seemed surprising to me that both Masuaku and Fredericks weren't in the starting 11.

Very nice finish by Snodgrass. Surprisingly, Anderson seemed to have a spring in his step for the last 20 mins when we were chasing the game. First time we've seen that this season. More of that please.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

smuts wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:50 pm Formidable? The bloke in goal last season was for sure. Papered over the defensive cracks.
Referred to as ‘a beast’ on here many times last season and consensus was he was a great find / brilliant scouting from Husillos etc.

Different player this season who ducks out of the way of oncoming free kicks.

Looking at our defence collectively, teams must look at us and fancy their chances every week. We are easy to play against.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

what a terrible performance and pelle looks clueless. they wont sack him as they cant afford to. second season now and we are worse than before. what has improved as we are still out fought out run and have no tactics ?
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Willo1234567 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:42 am Anderson wearing gloves today says it all
Whatever else he didn't do, Anderson sprinted half the length of the pitch twice to help deny Newcastle two goals. Worth his place for that alone
DannyboyDJL

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I had to go out and missed the second half, but how did Ajeti get on?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:41 am I had to go out and missed the second half, but how did Ajeti get on?
Barely touched the ball.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

On reflection Anderson was our second best player after Snoddy IMHO
At least he tried to make things happen and did put in a lot of effort chasing back at times
At 3-0 down he was the only player wanting the ball and tryING to get things going
It may not be coming off for him but I don't think k you can fault his commitment

He needs a goal, badly
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

ajeti had one chance but rather than shoot he ran back with the ball. clear lack of confidence.

Anderson and Snodgrass the only ones trying at the end.

haller - what does he do ? I watch tammy Abrahams and he is constantly moving and running into space. headers and shots despatched by him. our guy does what ? I know there is no service but he could try running instead of joining the west ham joggers !
yarmolenko looks so short of fitness and did nothing. no wonder no one else wanted him. good left foot but teams have him sussed out now
noble - time to be dropped
rice - getting worse and value declining .
diop - looks shakey now
Balbuena poor
cresswell awful
zabaleta too slow, why not start fredericks and bring zaba on for last 20 mins if necessary ?
Snodgrass - usuall full effort with tackles and a good goal but he is not the answer for a top 7 team !!!! we have no chance of that !
lanzini - huffed and puffed
fredericks - used pace and gave them something to worry about. should have started !

sanchez - whats the point of him on the bench ? put a youngster in there
fornals - ulucky not to get on as could not have done worse than that lot.

last couple of weeks I have seen the worst away performance at everton and the worst first half yesterday. next level with Pellegrini.

our owners are ***** we know but pelle chose wilshere sanchez ajeti fornals and gave zabaleta another year when its clear his legs have gone.
waynepin
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by waynepin »

I feel we need more discipline and a better plan before the game, players don't seem to know their roles, Noble wastes so much energy closing down centre backs or their left back surely he should be tucked in by Rice in front of the back four, Anderson beat his man all game but with Haller marked by two maybe three centre backs there was no where to go, when Lanzini came on he beat his man with the same ease as Anderson, we have the players but not the set up we need two up top and more movement, passes to be for players to run onto not to feet or behind slowing us down, why not try three at the back, Rice one of them,with Arthur and Fred wingbacks, we have to try something different because we have been sussed out and if a very poor team like Newcastle batter us what happens when we play a Liverpool or City with their options