Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 West Ham Utd (04/12/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Universidad-de-Chile
Location: "(We, the small people, protest) Untill DIGNITY will became usual"

Re: ⚽ Wolverhampton Wanderers v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Universidad-de-Chile »

Well I thought still ... if you lose like today... its nothing to make a banquett or to party to...

So I do not get the whole "reverberation"...

A signal, its better time to go sleep... and disappear, if youre getting unpleasant... :thup:

Like a musician friend of mine always said: "You have to fire FIRST the job your doin in this agency or workplace, before the agency fired you" 8-)

Night all! (It was a bad day today, better must come!)
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Must agree with DL. WTF is it with the like for like subs ? I'd have liked to see Ajeti up top with Haller but throwing him up top with a young kid fresh out the U23s reminded me of Allardyce with the kids at Notts Forest. Both were on a hiding to nothing especially as we concede about 2 mins later.

Also agree with Bubbles that we need to do a bit of trading. I'd try and out One of our big purchases purely for funding. We desperately need power in the middle of the park. We are so sluggish it's beyond a joke.

A midfield with Snodgrass and Noble just can't play at high intensity twice in 3 or 4 days but the problem is they're all we've got. Ten years in to their ownership and we are relying on a player who has been here forever and another who the chairmans son couldn't wait to criticise in the press a couple of years ago.

I suspect that Masuaku will go (apparently he is unhappy ?) as will Sanchez and Roberto. I wouldn't be surprised to see Yarmalenko go as well. Problem is we will be lucky to get £10m or £12m between them.

We have big big problems that are going to cost a lot to put right. The game now demands pace and we are unfortunately extremely lacking on that score.
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

You’ll see some pace when MP picks up his severance cheque and pegs it up the bank like a greyhound.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Wolves barely got out of first gear.

Says it all really.

The manager is backing himself into a corner that I doubt he'll get out of.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

One Peter Butler wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:00 pm You’ll see some pace when MP picks up his severance cheque and pegs it up the bank like a greyhound.
Ok , that actually made me :D

Cheers , I needed that . :thup:
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Even without the Amazon stream, my stream was pretty good. However, I kept being dragged away from watching & really missed quite a bit of the 2nd half.
What I did see of the match, at times, we weren't bad. Have to say though, both goals were pisspoor ones to concede.
Keeper made some good saves & deserves to stay in 'til Fab is back.
Anderson & Fornals were both better than they have been.
We seemed to start the game with a similar confidence that we had in the Chelsea game, passing not bad. However, their first goal, pretty well did for us. We were only ever going to get a point if we could keep them to 0. Them taking the lead meant that we now had a steeper mountain to climb & had to now score, even though we hadn't really looked like doing so. It's annoying that they didn't have to be good goals to beat us.
Who really believed that Chelsea was the start of a good run...
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:43 pm Arnautovic and Hernandez leaving has left us looking completely toothless upfront. I appreciate Arnie is a ****, but there’s 17 goals we have taken out the side and don’t look like getting close to with our current forward options.
Pelligrini should have told Hernandez he was first choice. We would be higher up the table and scored more goals if he had played every game for us so far.
It was an over egged myth he couldn't play up top in a 4-3-3. He can if done properly
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by neathiron »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:03 pm Wolves barely got out of first gear.

Says it all really.

The manager is backing himself into a corner that I doubt he'll get out of.
Was watching the Soccer Special on Sky and Jeff Stelling said that after the game Pellegrini said in the post match conference that West Ham had the better of the game. Phil Thompson had been commentating on it in the studio and looked perplexed when he heard that. Pellegrini is in total denial if he's thinking like that.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Hernandez still worked harder than Haller and his movement is 100 times better. We have a £45m forward who can’t be bothered unless everyone else does the running for him and a striker from Switzerland who only gets 10 minute cameos and even then doesn’t look like being able to get hold of a chance.

Tootheless upfront, soft in midfield and concede lots of goals...
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:10 pm

Tootheless upfront, soft in midfield and concede lots of goals...
Just about sums it up. 10 years in to their ownership and staring straight down the barrel at another relegation. They're not very good at this club ownership game.
Boooogers!

Post by Boooogers! »

I had a pop at Haller earlier out of frustration. Yes he's a sulky Frenchman but on reflection I take back some of the criticism.

All our problems stem from midfield. Noble and Rice in the centre is probably one of the weakest pairings in the league - Rice is a centre back converted to holding midfielder. He's not a ball playing midfielder at all and he's paired up with Noble who is painfully slow and lacks creativity. Add to this Snodgrass on the right who puts in a good shift but quality wise is a Championship/newly promoted team level, and Fornals who is clearly struggling to adapt to the English game and we're just getting bypassed in midfield way to easily as we can't hold the ball or bring the attacking players into the game. Its the same **** every week bar the odd good performance that we somehow manage to pull out of the bag f*** knows how or why.

Swithching in Anderson/Lanzini/Yarmolenko on to the wings is not going to make the slightest difference to a midfield block of 4. The big elephant in the room is Noble - any midfield pairing with Noble in it is going to struggle at this level. Rice should be playing behind a creative midfield pairing (maybe Anderson and a new signing), with a front three of Haller (centre), Antonio (R) and Fornals/Anderson (L).

I'm sorry to all the Noble lovers out there but it's time to face up to facts that he's a big part of the reason why we've struggled this season.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Yet another gutless display on the road. I’m fed up to the back teeth of the slow build up play and general lack of ideas going forward. The 3 best creative players (Anderson, Lanzini and Fornals) are all the same and vying for the same position. Haller is completely uninterested in even putting a shift in let alone doing anything worthwhile going forwards.

Don’t get me wrong, Wolves are a good side and I expected we would lose but the manner of defeat is so frustrating.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

neathiron wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:10 pm Was watching the Soccer Special on Sky and Jeff Stelling said that after the game Pellegrini said in the post match conference that West Ham had the better of the game. Phil Thompson had been commentating on it in the studio and looked perplexed when he heard that. Pellegrini is in total denial if he's thinking like that.
That's just ridiculous, 'better of the game' :shock: Pellers must have early onset if he thinks that.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Have to admit I didn't see all the game but from what I did see I thought Mark Noble was very very poor. And has anyone ever seen Haller break into anything other than a gentle jog? Many other problems of course but this team/squad needs serious overhaul in January. The summer will be too late. And does Jack Wilshere still have his 'minor problem' but is two weeks away from being fit?
danski78
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by danski78 »

The midfield three are getting a bit of stick tonight - while I dont think they were great I do think they had a hard job tonight. Wolves defend well and we dont move which means noble, rice and Snoddy are forced to either try and play a pass through the eye of a needle or play backwards to Ogbonna and Balbuena. Quite a few times Balbuena played some nice 40 yards passes from deep and looked one of our more created threats.. thats not right is it.

I dont think our players are lacking in effort I just dont think they are very intelligent in they way they move with or without the ball. Genuinely think we are a bit clueless. Wolves showed us how to do it and didnt need to move out of second gear.
irons88
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by irons88 »

Not long back from the game, very flat performance and equally as flat atmosphere wise at the game. Just felt like we were going through the motions as soon as Wolves got their first. Massively missed Antonio tonight, we were crying out for someone to grab the game by the scruff of the neck, two very ordinary teams with ordinary performances. Just a very flat game all round, all too predictable.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

Poor again..... The usual slow ponderous way of attacking which must be very easy to defend against.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that our record signing, the hapless Haller is woeful up front by himself. Total dog***t I'm afraid. We would be better off if we had kept Hernandez, he could not play up front by himself either, but he was much better than Haller. Pellers needs to play two up front and see if the sulky Frenchman improves.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:06 pm Pelligrini should have told Hernandez he was first choice. We would be higher up the table and scored more goals if he had played every game for us so far.
It was an over egged myth he couldn't play up top in a 4-3-3. He can if done properly
Isn't that the problem with our system though? Haller can play there if it's done properly, and more effectively than Hernandez too, but we don't play it properly. We haven't got the midfield for it, our wingers are pretty one-paced if Antonio isn't there, our full backs aren't great either.

There's a very clear link between the two players that have worked as strikers under Pellegrini. Arnautovic and Antonio are both a bit maverick, play with power and pace, both naturally wingers.
Rust
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by Rust »

Boooogers! wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:15 pm I'm sorry to all the Noble lovers out there but it's time to face up to facts that he's a big part of the reason why we've struggled this season.
I'm a self confessed Noble lover and have to agree. He is a class player on the ball, but off the ball he can't even get near enough to other players to foul them.

This, however, is ultimately the fault of the Board.

£0 in transfer fees since for a Central Midfielder since Obiang in 2015. Seriously. In the most physical league in the world it beggars belief.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Don’t think Rice was as bad as many are making out. Sure, he gave the ball away too easily at times, but I thought his defensive game (tackles, interceptions, positioning & holding up the opposition’s attacks) was pretty good.

In general, I believe he’s actually more technically gifted than he’s given credit for; his touch, passing, courage on the ball and even his dribbling is excellent for someone of his age. And what you have to bear in mind is that when he looks up he sees Cresswell, Fredericks, Noble, Snodgrass, Fornals, Anderson & Haller in front or around him - the movement and ability of those players to take passes in tight spaces is almost non-existent. I for one feel bloody sorry for Dec.