West Ham Utd 1-3 Arsenal (9/12/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham United v Arsenal :Match thread (9/12)

Post by Samba »

S-H wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:42 am I enjoyed Cresswell's big tackle, last night.
Before or after the match?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

simon1982 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:37 am

…. and we have a midfield of Noble, Snodgrass and Rice.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This. Whenever I see these 3 as our midfield, I know we are facing defeat, no matter who the oppo. Dreadful midfield, truly dreadful. How can you expect to beat anyone with that midfield three ?
Last edited by Puff Daddy on Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:20 pm ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This. Whenever I see these 3 as our midfield, I know we are facing defeat, no matter who the oppo. Dreadful midfiled, truly dreadful. How can you expect to beat anyone with that midfield three ?
We beat Chelsea with that midfield less than 2 weeks ago.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

fjthegrey wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:21 pm We beat Chelsea with that midfield less than 2 weeks ago.
The only win the last 11 matches isn't it ? What happened in the other ten? What is it they say about a broken clock ?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:23 pm The only win the last 11 matches isn't it ? What happened in the other ten?
Still a win though.
Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:23 pm What happened in the other ten?
We mostly lost them, but there were some draws as well. We also didn't play Snodgrass, Rice and Noble together in all those games either.
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Rice caught that shot well :scarfer:

Pity it was straight at The keeper
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

Lost for words really. At 1-0 up we had Arsenal under the pump but with no real end product, the crowd seemed to be getting behind the players and it looked like we could of got another. Then Arsenal get an equaliser against the run of play (I knew Martinelli would score when I saw his name on the team sheet, 1st Prem start it was nailed on,) what followed after that was an epic capitulation what a ‘90s England batting line-up would of been proud of.

It’s just not good enough, and I don’t know how we can turn it around. We have workman-like players putting shifts in every week, and we have confidence players who are very low on it.

Some shocking stats doing the rounds. Arsenal’s first win in 9, the first time they’ve turned a 1-0 HT deficit around in 8 years.

You just knew this was the game that Pepe would come good too.

Maybe a different manager could get a tune out of these players. I’m no fan of chopping and changing managers but it’s clearly not working at the moment. Some of these big signing players clearly need to be man-managed better.

If we lose Saturday we drop in the bottom 3 for Xmas and I can’t see Pellegrini surviving that. Some of the names we’ve been linked with though fill me with absolute zero encouragement.

Just want to add that Masuaku was pi** poor for Arsenal goals 2 and 3. The LB position was one we could of upgraded on in the summer, but we chose to give the guy a four (or five?) year extension. We are the makers of our own downfall. Costs have be cut and the squad has actually been weakened, whether Pellegrini was made those calls I do not know. The board did say they though the squad was good enough, well clearly it’s f**king not.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Funny how games turn. I thought Tierney was having a nightmare at left back, he gets injured and his replacement helps set up their first goal. Cresswell kept a pretty decent control on pepe by decisive tackling and denying him space. Cresswell gets injured to be replaced by Arthur who CAN match Pepe for speed. Knowing this he thinks he can stand off him and let him run. Result, 2 more goals.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Rarely do you face an Arsenal side as poor and lacking in confidence as that one. Rarely do you get the opportunity to put them to the sword. A goal down with an hour played, they were making schoolboy errors - taking short free kicks under pressure, playing around with goal kicks in their own area, and playing the ball across the park at the back while being pressed back. They were there for the taking.

And yet, so poor is this current West Ham side, we failed to do the simple things ourselves. Time and time again we got the ball into good positions, but, with players in the box, we failed to supply them. Tippy tappy passing instead of crossing or shooting at the vital moment. A moments hesitation is taken when basic instinct is called for. And as soon as the opportunity arose, it was gone. And in this case swiftly.

Make no mistake, this is a very poor West Ham squad of players. We are so lacking in spirit and adventure it is not true. We know there is a lot of quality there, but a team is the sum of its parts - and ours is not adding up.

We know from first hand experience about teams being too good to go down. This lot, and the manager, now have to show some balls.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2383 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:20 pm ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This. Whenever I see these 3 as our midfield, I know we are facing defeat, no matter who the oppo. Dreadful midfield, truly dreadful. How can you expect to beat anyone with that midfield three ?
The midfield three last night was Rice, Noble and Anderson.

The midfield three should be Rice, Noble and Snodgrass.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

For Pelle to have have given up on Haller is criminal.

We were doing well passing the ball around in the first half with Fournals playing alongside the striker...Exactly what Haller would have needed to show what he could do.

Antonio isn't a striker, he'll play their in an emergency, but he's tons better coming from deeper. He was wasted yesterday,

Sure,Haller hasn't been impressive but he is our only Striker with any kind of pedigree, and a way should always be found to accommodated him in the team.
ShanghaiHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ShanghaiHammer »

I'm not sure what this is about - I was watching Sky Sports yesterday and according to the commentary only Arsenal were playing and there was no mention of this 'West Ham' you are all talking about?
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Samba wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:25 am Free the Ecuadorian One..
Speaking of Ecuador...we've gone backwards since the days of having Enner upfront, and even though I didn't mind Enner Valencia personally, it takes some doing to end up even more toothless upfront.