West Ham Utd 2 Portsmouth 4 (18/03/05)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Jackanakanory
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Man City lost as well. I am trying to find out if they put out a weakened side but cannot find their teamsheet anyway f*ck it. We lost they lost. So f*cking what. Monday is the real game to watch out for.
* 1 David James
* 18 Danny Mills
* 2 David Sommeil
* 5 Sylvain Distin
* 3 Ben Thatcher
* 17 Sun Jihai
* 28 Trevor Sinclair
* 6 Claudio Reyna
* 38 Stephen Ireland
* 10 Antoine Sibierski
* 42 Bradley Wright-Phillips
Rightback

Post by Rightback »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Man City lost as well. I am trying to find out if they put out a weakened side but cannot find their teamsheet anyway f*ck it. We lost they lost. So f*cking what. Monday is the real game to watch out for.
They made 8 changes apparently.
southernhammer

Post by southernhammer »

im wondering what the recent results have done for the confidence of the team,i hope they are seeing it as we see it.lets hope pardews changes wont affect the performances of a few of the players who have appeared in all of the recent games.
Caribiron
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Caribiron »

Looking for positives.

Pardew has demonstrated that with all players fit and available to choose from he can get the team to beat almost anyone. However, given competing demands he does not have the depth of players to beat almost anyone on a bad day.

We are safe, we are still in the quarter finals of the FA Cup. What has now been very clearly demonstrated is our lack of depth in the squad. Such has been the margin between a great first season back and one of the reasons why we were relegated last time round.

Ahem. Your cheque bokk please Mr Brown. :wink:
FloridaHammer

Post by FloridaHammer »

This is a big mistake to gamble everything on the FA Cup. Our most likely route to Europe is finishing 6th or 7th. Hope this works out for AP and us.
Austin 'Ammer
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Austin 'Ammer »

Good news from the City game -- Samaras was injured and is a doubt for Monday. Sibierski injured too. Presumably Vassell is fit, but City are looking a little light up top.
sledge hammer

Post by sledge hammer »

Austin 'Ammer wrote:Good news from the City game -- Samaras was injured and is a doubt for Monday. Sibierski injured too. Presumably Vassell is fit, but City are looking a little light up top.
any news on anton's injury?
trickydicky123

Post by trickydicky123 »

If by some miracle we won the cup - would he 'rest players' every time we have UEFA cup match next season- did we 'rest players' for earlier rounds of the cup?! We've only played 35 matches this season - how much 'rest' do these 'professionals' need?!
yabush

Post by yabush »

trickydicky123 wrote:If by some miracle we won the cup - would he 'rest players' every time we have UEFA cup match next season- did we 'rest players' for earlier rounds of the cup?! We've only played 35 matches this season - how much 'rest' do these 'professionals' need?!
Pards doesn't want them to get injured or to be so tired
3 matches in 6 days, come on!!!!

I really think Pards should play the subs more often...
The Engineer

Post by The Engineer »

Caribiron wrote:Looking for positives.

Pardew has demonstrated that with all players fit and available to choose from he can get the team to beat almost anyone. However, given competing demands he does not have the depth of players to beat almost anyone on a bad day.

We are safe, we are still in the quarter finals of the FA Cup. What has now been very clearly demonstrated is our lack of depth in the squad. Such has been the margin between a great first season back and one of the reasons why we were relegated last time round.

Ahem. Your cheque bokk please Mr Brown. :wink:
Agreed, when we went down three seasons ago, it was mostly injuries that caused it (but Rodent didn't help). Birmingham are struggling this season because of injuries. Man Ure would be giving Chelski a close run if it weren't for injuries. Even if you aren't in Europe, you need a big squad these days. Bloody stupid fixture schedules don't help (we had two weeks off not long ago)!

We have been very lucky this season that the first team has been available most weeks - not too many injuries or suspensions. The exception has been the games over Christmas (1 point from 15) and the last two league games (8 goals conceded). We won't be that lucky every season and will go down again if the squad isn't stronger.

Having said that, I certainly expected better from that team that went out today. It didn't sound like there was any commitment first half. Were Anton and Gabbidon taking it easy with thoughts of not getting injured for the quarter final? Why weren't the players coming in trying to impress more? Were they trying to impress too much?

It also suggests that we aren't training as a squad. There aren't substitutes for players that can drop in without affecting the balance of the team. Plenty to think about, Mr Pardew.
pdbis
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: s

Post by pdbis »

theykilledkenny wrote:There's only one team losing worse than us...
Bristol City - Gillingham 6-0...

Daily should retire from football
Still can't believe he has been signed for another season. :twisted:
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

trickydicky123 wrote:If by some miracle we won the cup - would he 'rest players' every time we have UEFA cup match next season- did we 'rest players' for earlier rounds of the cup?! We've only played 35 matches this season - how much 'rest' do these 'professionals' need?!
You need to look ahead a bit mate. For starters we'd be a more attractive proposition to players because we'd be playing European football, thus giving Pardew a big bargaining tool in his search for quality. The issue then wouldn't be about 'resting' players, it'd be who to choose every time we have a UEFA cup match simply because, with us being in Europe, we'd have a bigger squad of better players to choose from thus enabling us to effectivly rest some and STILL have a decent squad to choose from.
trickydicky123

Post by trickydicky123 »

And now we've eliminated the possibility of qualifying for Europe through our league position -do you not think it risky banking everything on the cup? We are only in the last 8 - it's not like it's the semi's
It's great that we are even mentioning Europe, but after achieving so much, it would be a real disappointment too fade away to 15th or something
Let's just hope it works again and we can see off Citeh eh?!
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Just back.
Can't say i've read the whole thread but i've read the last page, and those who slagged off Dailly today were a disgrace, both on this thread and at the match. The fact he was jeered when on the ball and lamented with every little mistake made me embarassed to be a West Ham fan. The irony being IMO he was just about our best player today, except for Harewood after he came on.
Usually I defend our support at home games but today's was shocking. That said, Pardew made a HUGE error in team selection. The one area we are strong in reserve...IS ****ing CENTRAL DEFENSE! And yet, the defense is the one area without any changes. Also we were desperate for a winger and if Matty doesn't play on Monday we don't stand a chance.
Ratings:
Walker-6 Could do nothing with any of the goals
Konchesky-5 Yes he hit the post, but in general his crossing was awful and defensively very dodgy.
Ferdinand-6 Not many specific mistakes but distribution poor.
Gabbidon-4 Form has really slipped recently i'm afraid, keeps playing players onside (especially Lua Lua today) and too many errors.
Scaloni- 1 Beyond awful. Came forward, lost the ball, then was out of position leaving us completely exposed. This scenario was repeated time and again. He is slow, a poor passer and stands off far too much. Deportivo must be laughing.
Clarke-2 Almost as bad as Scaloni, but he went off so is spared a 1. Was playing left midfield but seemed to want to run away from the ball most of the time, that is on the three occasions he did decide to run...will never be a Premiership player.
Reo-Coker-4 Never in the game, looked off and weak.
Dailly-7 Won lots of headers and worked his socks off in the face of much adversity. Was a greater threat than any of our other players in the first half due to arial threat.
Katan-5 Pointless, did nothing.
Sheringham-5 Another open goal scored, but he is passed it.
Zamora-4 Reminded me of the ***** he used to produce. Come on Bobby you're much better than you showed today...

SUBS
Harewood-9 Great effort, determination and quality. Incredibly unlucky with rocket which hit the bar...IMO our only hope for a victory on Monday...
Benayoun-7 Brought much needed skill and invention, but too little too late.
Fletcher-6 Not enough time.

I have to admit I won't give a toss about this result should we win on Monday night, but to be honest, I can't see it...
daveo
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by daveo »

And now we've eliminated the possibility of qualifying for Europe through our league position -do you not think it risky banking everything on the cup? We are only in the last 8 - it's not like it's the semi's
Sorry but all that today and last Sat has proved is that our first eleven is a good Prem standard but our squad is lacking in quality.

We're only talking about resting players because we've had such a successful season and are challenging for Europe on TWO fronts.

Pards has played the percentages and figured that 3 wins v Bol,City and ? puts us in the Cup Final,and therefore Europe if Liv or Chel get there.

Whereas to qualify through the league we'd need to negotiate a run in including Bol,Man Utd,Wig and Chel away,and Liv and Spurs at home.

He clearly feels the former is more likely and has therefore concentrated our slim resources on that.

I felt todays 11 was the right mix of reserves and first choicers but we just didn't perform.

Roll on Mon.I really hope we win if only to shut up those moaning minnies who seem to have forgotten that 17th place at the start of the season would've been the most that we could have realistically expected.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

I cant be bothered to talk about this wrong selection bollcoks.

But the thing that annoys me, is that Marlons fitness rate is bloody brilliant, the last time he missed a game through injury was god knows when, if ever. Why didnt he start? I'm sure he would of loved to and Sheringham just doesnt have it any more and was poor again today.

As said if there is no Etherington for Monday we need to hope that Marlon is bang on his game as at the moment these two are the only ones who can make things happen.
PaulTheHammer

Post by PaulTheHammer »

dodger wrote:Just back.
Can't say i've read the whole thread but i've read the last page, and those who slagged off Dailly today were a disgrace, both on this thread and at the match. The fact he was jeered when on the ball and lamented with every little mistake made me embarassed to be a West Ham fan. The irony being IMO he was just about our best player today, except for Harewood after he came on.
Usually I defend our support at home games but today's was shocking. That said, Pardew made a HUGE error in team selection. The one area we are strong in reserve...IS f*cking CENTRAL DEFENSE! And yet, the defense is the one area without any changes. Also we were desperate for a winger and if Matty doesn't play on Monday we don't stand a chance.
Ratings:
Konchesky-5 Yes he hit the post, but in general his crossing was awful and defensively very dodgy.
Gabbidon-4 Form has really slipped recently i'm afraid, keeps playing players onside (especially Lua Lua today) and too many errors.
Scaloni- 1 Beyond awful. Came forward, lost the ball, then was out of position leaving us completely exposed. This scenario was repeated time and again. He is slow, a poor passer and stands off far too much. Deportivo must be laughing.
Clarke-2 Almost as bad as Scaloni, but he went off so is spared a 1. Was playing left midfield but seemed to want to run away from the ball most of the time, that is on the three occasions he did decide to run...will never be a Premiership player.
Dailly-7 Won lots of headers and worked his socks off in the face of much adversity. Was a greater threat than any of our other players in the first half due to arial threat.
Zamora-4 Reminded me of the ***** he used to produce. Come on Bobby you're much better than you showed today...

SUBS
Harewood-9 Great effort, determination and quality. Incredibly unlucky with rocket which hit the bar...IMO our only hope for a victory on Monday...

I have to admit I won't give a toss about this result should we win on Monday night, but to be honest, I can't see it...
Well said there on all counts to be honest Dodger. I totally agree with you about the Dailly situation and there were worse players out there today. Scaloni is EASILY the worst player at West Ham United and makes Tomas Repka look world class. He is slap dash at everything he does and shows why Dailly doesn't deserve the singling out that everyone seems to 'get off' on doing. If you want to find a player that merits it, Scaloni is your man. He's here for his own ends, earning a nice little sum and playing with little enthusiasm or concentration. Absolute ****.

I felt sympathy for Dailly but Walker too. He came back today on a day which would have meant the world to him after nearly a year of misery. He had to then contend with a god awful display that led to him conceding four goals. What a way to come back, I feel for him no doubt about that.

Defence was dire but the midfield did f*** all to hold things together. Reo-Coker was not looking sharp (is he still struggling in reality?) and Clarke might as well have not been on the pitch for all the work he put in. Dailly worked his plums off and for those of you who trashed him, what exactly did he have to work with? Clarke/Katan/Reo-Coker all having mares so it doesn't leave Dailly with much support or back up. If three of your midfield are playing dire, what chance does the back line have?

People can blame Pardew all they like but this was a blinding chance for reserve players to stake a claim and quite frankly those individuals blew it for the team and themselves.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

PaulTheHammer wrote:
I felt sympathy for Dailly but Walker too. He came back today on a day which would have meant the world to him after nearly a year of misery. He had to then contend with a god awful display that led to him conceding four goals. What a way to come back, I feel for him no doubt about that.

Forgot about that, feel for poor old Jimmy, he will always remember his first Premiership game for all the wrong reasons....
clarke

Post by clarke »

dodger wrote:Just back.
Usually I defend our support at home games but today's was shocking. That said, Pardew made a HUGE error in team selection. The one area we are strong in reserve...IS f*cking CENTRAL DEFENSE! And yet, the defense is the one area without any changes. Also we were desperate for a winger and if Matty doesn't play on Monday we don't stand a chance.
Ratings:

SUBS

I agree with what Dodger said. We were simply second best, they wanted it more than us. It didnt make sense to rest both wide players, we had no outlet, but oh well
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

aye

Post by w4hammer »

k-r-c wrote:
Forgot about that, feel for poor old Jimmy, he will always remember his first Premiership game for all the wrong reasons....
what he said--im not sure could have done anything with the first three goals...i try not to get too down after a ***** show like that, but really bobby-what were you doing? a fab 15 minutes on wednesday, then swanning around waiting for the ball to come to him for the whole game--clarke--did he actually touch the ball? katan, one good swerve and thats it..now maybe they were all isolated cos we didnt have a idfiled but either ways GRRRR!

I said b4 that he should have picked his first 11 and got a couple of goals in the first half then rested some players--they were there for the taking...

ah well..monday it is then!