West Ham Utd 1 Reading 1 (26/12/07)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

PaoloD
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: West Ham v Reading match thread

Post by PaoloD »

Despite having one good stand in game against Boro, the prospect of having Spector as centre back scares the absolute **** out of me, so im praying one of the CB's is back to play with Upson.
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

nicky_g wrote:we will win this one, and it will be the best home performance of the season. 2-0 to the cockney boys!
I am wearing my new found coat of optimism. I'm with Nicky-G. Goals from Solano & Ashton.

I was tempted to go for 3-0, but it's only a little coat.
bluebutterfly
Agony aunt
Has liked: 1 like

Post by bluebutterfly »

Will be another 2-1 win
I am Lawro
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by I am Lawro »

2-0. Deano and Parker again.
4ever.Blowin.Bubbles

Post by 4ever.Blowin.Bubbles »

id say a win but the way we av been playin at home it wouldnt suprise me if it wer a 1-1 draw or even a loss.
Is matty etherington fit again yet? we r missing him down the left wing
butzee

Post by butzee »

2-1 west ham parker and hunt to have a blow up in midfield and hunt getting a red in the first ten minutes.
Always a tight game and this will be no diffrent 2-2 with us scoring a late equilizer
lets hope theres a bit more noise tomorrow!!!
one fine morning....

Post by one fine morning.... »

a scrappy 1-0 ... goal coming from a corner from either upson or joey

interesting to note from that OS interview, that spector sees himself as a central defender. we are spoilt for choice in that position certainly
double D

Post by double D »

Would love for us to reverse the 6-0 from last season but I think as our home form is so crap we might just scrape a draw and we will play **** as we are on the television :|
Schards

Post by Schards »

Cooooooommmme onnnnnnnn you royalllllllls!!!!

Reading's away form has been woeful this season and, even at home, we are incapable of keeping a clean sheet.

It's hard to see West Ham scoring less than 2 and, despite your poor home form, that should be enough.

My bet would be 2-1 or 3-1 West Ham. Hopefully the home form will keep us out of danger.
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

Schards wrote:Cooooooommmme onnnnnnnn you royalllllllls!!!!

Reading's away form has been woeful this season and, even at home, we are incapable of keeping a clean sheet.

It's hard to see West Ham scoring less than 2 and, despite your poor home form, that should be enough.

My bet would be 2-1 or 3-1 West Ham. Hopefully the home form will keep us out of danger.
Nice of you to be so honest! :lol:

can see it being a fairly scrappy game and after last years boxing day shambles against Pompey hopefully the boys will give us something to cheer about. Reckon a 1-0 or 2-0 win for us with Deano and Ljungberg on the scoresheet!
4ever.Blowin.Bubbles

Post by 4ever.Blowin.Bubbles »

im hoping for a comfortable win that every player puts 110%. the home form has been awful, bout time we av a good game at home. And every1 has gotta get behind the players and be as loud as they can!

"COME ON YOU IRONS"
simon hammer
Has liked: 993 likes
Total likes: 748 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Along with Bolton and the bottom 4, Reading haven't won away all season and have only scored 10 on their travels whilst conceeding 22. Mind you, our home form isn't great...winning 2, drawing 3 and losing 3 scoring 9 and conceeding 9 in the process.

I'm going for a 2-0 West Ham win with both goals from Ashton.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I was at the Reading v Sunderland game last Saturday for MOTD and if we can't beat this Reading side then serious questions need to be asked.

The last twenty minutes of the first half the Mackems were all over them, but Coppel obviously can change his tactics (and the players can accomodate the changes) because in the second half it was one way traffic towards the Sunderland goal. Hunt looked a threat but Shorey was anonymous (and I was looking out for him for obvious reasons).

I think that the difference between our home and away form is down to our inability to grind down a defensively minded midfield and defence. We have pace which means we can counter attack on the break when playing away, but at home those opportunities are few and far between. Against Reading we should be able to break them down since I saw nothing to worry me. Even Sunderland opened them up a few times. We could even play deep at home, inviting them to come on to us and force counter attacks that way, although having seen what Kenwyne Jones did to them Cole and Ashton should bag a hat trick apiece.
I am law

Post by I am law »

simon hammer wrote:Along with Bolton and the bottom 4, Reading haven't won away all season
Bizarrely, we have won as many away games than all teams below us put together.

Our home form is amongst the worst in the division.
noble art

Post by noble art »

not to clever at home on boxing day lately,atmosphere never great,too much turkey....
hope i am wrong,but i dont think we will win... :(
thats my head,my heart say's 10-0 win... :raver:
Pocket Pardew
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pocket Pardew »

I think this will be a walk in the park. Reading have looked poor away from home and even though we have not been great at UP, I think this will be a massive turn around for us. Deano is slowly getting his fitness back and Parker now looks settled.

I'm going for a thumping 4 (or 5) nil. Reading to offer nothing and our midfiled to dominate the whole game. I'll even have a little side offering of an Ashton hatrick.

:D
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Should be a tough one, but I wage that we could do our second double of the season. Personally after last year I take a lot of pleasure at the thought of doing a double over Reading.

Nice that its on SS1, nice to sit down with a few Turkey sandwiches
double D

Post by double D »

Just played the game on my sons PSP, we were all over them but went in half time 1-0 down Dave Kitson scored
Second half came out strongly and won 2-1 with goals from Ashton and Freddie :shock:.

Great Transfer window on the PSP we are in for Messi, Kaka and Ronaldo :lol:
nicky_g

Post by nicky_g »

Pocket Pardew wrote:I think this will be a walk in the park. Reading have looked poor away from home and even though we have not been great at UP, I think this will be a massive turn around for us. Deano is slowly getting his fitness back and Parker now looks settled.

I'm going for a thumping 4 (or 5) nil. Reading to offer nothing and our midfiled to dominate the whole game. I'll even have a little side offering of an Ashton hatrick.

:D
i hope you're right. we deserve a good perfromance at home! i think we will win, but just 1-0 or 2-0.
GoalieGirl

Post by GoalieGirl »

I really, really hope we stuff the biscuitmen (royals my arse).

Having the misfortune of living just outside Reading, I'm constantly being reminded of how many plastic, glory hunting "blue army" muppets are around.

One little lad came in the shop where I work, spotted I had my WHU hoody on and started giving it large about how "the royals are going to stuff you at your place".

To which I replied: "Doubt it mate, have you seen your defence recently? 'Coz if you have Marcus Hahnemann is quite keen to know where."

Bitter? Me? Never.
:evil:
3-0 to the Hammers