If Thatcher plays?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Should the club forgive Ben Thatcher's misdemeanours and offer him a short term contract?

Yes
10%
No
81%
Unsure
9%

Total votes: 124

Bovverd

Re: If Thatcher plays?

Post by Bovverd »

quote]

How the fk do you know he didn't do anything? He may have had a full list of left backs and none of them wanted to join the club!!

So you believe the newspapers in the amount we have supposedly paid off freddie?

A young and upcoming player from the lower leagues costs money?? especially ones good enoughto play in the Prem[/quote]

So your saying Ben Thatcher was the only single option in the whole of world football with regards to providing us cover at left back?

No I dont personally believe the newspapers regarding the Ljundberg pay off but we are still a laughing stock thats my point. I was hoping we would put the record straight on the figures involved but it doesnt seem as if we will do.

and you seem to be believing the papers by saying we have NO money. I dont think the club have ever officially stated we have no money for players.

My point is, most theories on here are based on very little factual information and more on general opinions so if we do not have any money and the ONLY option was to take 32 year old over the hill Wolves reject Thatcher, maybe things are much worse than what they initially appeared to be.
Frodo Hammer

Post by Frodo Hammer »

Bovverd wrote:quote]

How the fk do you know he didn't do anything? He may have had a full list of left backs and none of them wanted to join the club!!

So you believe the newspapers in the amount we have supposedly paid off freddie?

A young and upcoming player from the lower leagues costs money?? especially ones good enoughto play in the Prem
So your saying Ben Thatcher was the only single option in the whole of world football with regards to providing us cover at left back?

No I dont personally believe the newspapers regarding the Ljundberg pay off but we are still a laughing stock thats my point. I was hoping we would put the record straight on the figures involved but it doesnt seem as if we will do.

and you seem to be believing the papers by saying we have NO money. I dont think the club have ever officially stated we have no money for players.

My point is, most theories on here are based on very little factual information and more on general opinions so if we do not have any money and the ONLY option was to take 32 year old over the hill Wolves reject Thatcher, maybe things are much worse than what they initially appeared to be.[/quote]

No i'm not, but we don't know who else we have been in for, got rejected by, etc.. etc... Am i disappointed by the possibiliy of thatcher, hell yes, and saying we are a laughing stock is a beat extreme for me. at the end of the day, we are looking at a player for cover, a foreign player would be a risk financially and more importantly playing wise, a young player good enough would cost money and again a risk, atleast he knows what the english game is about and what is expected, and we are talking about a short term fix.

No i dont believe the papers and i certainly don't think we have No money, but i believe its a balancing act between the playing staff and a new training ground etc.., plus we don;t know what restrictions are on curbs and whether paying money out for a LB means another deal is sacrificed. I've been told by a HP that we are a long way from being skint, but that doesn't mean that its earmarked for the playing staff

maybe they are, maybe they aren't, only time will tell, but all the indications from footie in general is that all teams are suffering in many different ways and at various different levels.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Trap1 wrote: All this moral judgement passing on Thatcher is solely due to the fact you don't like him as a player.
Well the fact he is a scummy thug on the pitch that has had every intention of really injuring people, i cant really say i have a high opinion of him as a person either..
Gator_Hammer
Location: It is not guilty that man who eat the pie but one that gives it.

Post by Gator_Hammer »

For the life of me I can't understand the logic of this one. Is this another panic injury buy, or is this supposed to be a longer term move? We are all assuming that this is cover for Linda...but it seems to me that Widdowson would do fine strictly for a month or two and we wouldn't have to go out and buy someone new. If this wasn't a panic buy and we were planning on getting a permanent back up and loaning Widdowson out for developmental purposes then we really screwed up by not getting in the market earlier. Sun Jihai (who I don't rate but is most assuredly better than Thatcher) was available and I am sure there are others who were floating around.
iloveyoudailly

Post by iloveyoudailly »

Is there any possibility of us getting Thatcher on a short-term contract- as in for a couple of months?
morrisey is a hammer

Post by morrisey is a hammer »

ben thatcher is a twat of the highest order,at the same end of the spectrum as say.............. tim westwood.
the fact is he really isnt much of a footballer.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

morrisey is a hammer wrote:ben thatcher is a twat of the highest order,at the same end of the spectrum as say.............. tim westwood.
the fact is he really isnt much of a footballer.
In a nut shell!

I could possibly put aside the fact that, judging by how he is on a football field, Thatcher is an absolute scrote of a human being, if he was a decent player and justr what we were looking for

But he's *****. There has to be a better option somewhere out there surely
Pidge

Post by Pidge »

dont do it Curbs :thdn:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2712 likes

Post by sendô »

We'll be piss poor with this numpty at LB. I'd rather give someone like Widdowson the chance to get first team football if we're that desperate. :?
bazac

Post by bazac »

Some people on this forum have incredibly short memories.

There was once a left-back on our books, Dicks I think his name was, who had a bit of a reputation for smashing people's faces with his elbow (Franz Carr), stamping on people's heads (John Spencer) and generally being a bit of a horrible c***.

Thatcher's most certainly not done anything worse than Dicksy did over the years.

The difference is Thatcher is an abysmal footballer, whereas Dicks was probably the most gifted left-back of his generation. On pure footballing talent alone, Curbs should be giving him a wide berth. But I take it all those who are clambering up to the moral high ground on the Mendes incident were booing Harry the day he resigned Julian too?
Chadwell Hammer

Post by Chadwell Hammer »

Isn't it right that we are in for a Swiss LB aswell? Has anyone heard anymore about him? Can't remember his name.
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

Chadwell Hammer wrote:Isn't it right that we are in for a Swiss LB aswell? Has anyone heard anymore about him? Can't remember his name.
if he can't remember his name how can he be trusted to remember his position? Or to turn up on the right day?
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

PaoloD wrote:
We're West Ham - we do not employ runts like Thatcher.
Julian Dicks?
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

IIIronss wrote:
Booing is for kids at a pantomime, If you dont like the bloke then fair enough you dont have to cheer but Its not like booing is gonna do anything.

yes it is...it tells curbishley and the board that us fans dont want him here and that he aint welcome. I dont usually agree with some of of the boo boys but this one gets my full backing. Just because he has thrown a west ham shirt on does not mean we should treat him with repsect or welcome him. I hate to see him in our colours and playing footbnall for us. Absolute **** of a man.
PaoloD
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by PaoloD »

Frodo Hammer wrote:
In fact i think its a disgrace

Thatcher's the disgrace, mate.

99% of West Ham fans don't want him at the club and let Curbs know in the only way possible.

I just hope Curbs tookit on board.
PaoloD
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by PaoloD »

carnage wrote: Julian Dicks?
Behave - Dicksy was no angel but he was not Thatheresque material. Dicky's notoriety gained momentum because 1. he was bloody good player who should have played for England and 2. he captained a popular and well known side.

Thatcher is a very average player whose star is borne solely down to his acts of violence
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 756 likes
Total likes: 3488 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Poll now added ...
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Put it this way...

I could forgive his previous misdemeanors (or at least give him the benefit of the doubt) if I thought he was just the player we needed

But as he isn't, his previous misdemeanors are not easily forgotten

I know Curbs has a better idea than me as to what West Ham need, and has a better idea than me as to what Thatcher would offer us, and that I should be willing to trust his judgement. But I can only call it as I see it, with the information available to me. And as a result, I don't want Thatcher, as I believe there has to be a better option out there

I guess it is mainly about the football for me, and less about his past misdemeanors. Maybe he could do a job, but I'd rather look elsewhere

I wonder, hypothetically, if we had to play the first 2 months of the season with either Thatcher or Widdowson at LB, what would people prefer. An experienced player who is not wanted, or an untried youngster who many want to do well? You could argue that Thatcher would probably make less mistakes, but is that all that matters?
scrutrog

Post by scrutrog »

is anyone on here any good at maths because i cant seem to add this one up? -

nani - excellent scouting network with connections to the best agents and scouts across Italy

+

kia - owns some of the best players in south america with connectons all over argentina and brazil

+

BG - BILLIONAIRE

=

an old thug not good enough for a championship side ???????????????????????????????? Headbanger :evil:
Frodo Hammer

Post by Frodo Hammer »

PaoloD wrote:
Thatcher's the disgrace, mate.

99% of West Ham fans don't want him at the club and let Curbs know in the only way possible.

I just hope Curbs tookit on board.
PaoloD,

I still say booing a player in claret and blue is a disgrace and i won't change my mind on that.

I don't like thatcher as a player, i think he is rub. I don't agree with what he has done, and you look at my other posts, one of the reasons i have walked away from playing the game, is because some people see it as a licence to act violently and get away with it. But i also realise, people make msitakes, do stupid things, and he is certain not the first or last player to act in such a way.

As far as i'm concerned deliberate high, two footed tackles are a disgrace and just as likely, if not more likely to end a players career.

He is also not the only player in claret and blue that have done some disgraceful stuff, like Dicks stamping on a chelsea players head, as i remember.

I also think is laughable that soo many people are taking a high morale ground of this, as though they and everyone else is whiter than white.

I don't want him at our club, because he is cr@p, end of.