Curbs to sue (poll added)

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Is Alan Curbishley right to sue WHUFC for constructive dismissal?

Yes
56%
No
37%
Unsure
7%

Total votes: 277

il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Re: Curbs to sue (poll added)

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

chalks wrote: If it was me, and i was sitting back, a self made millionaire without a money care in the world for the rest of my life, and i was watching 'the club i have loved ever since i was a kid, i grew up within throwing distance' in mounting financial trouble, with the threat of being sued by so many people its disturbing, then no i wouldnt.

I genuinely think the man is a c*** if he does.
:thup:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

bubbles1966 wrote:I wonder how long, and how low the club has to sink, before some on here will finally swallow their pride and acknowledge that we have lost a very competent manager who was steadily dragging the club up the table along with some very capable players.

I wonder how long, and how low the club has to sink, before some on here will finally swallow their pride and acknowledge that we have replaced them with cheap non-entities, a manager who is going to have to learn bloody quickly because he has no experience, and that we have an incompetent board who are overseeing a nosedive back down the table.

This constant drivel about LBM (5 million) Dyer (4 million) Quashie (1.5 million), Ljungberg (£300k), Kepa (loan) and Camara (loan) etc does my brain in.....

Upson - Parker - Bellamy - Neill - Curbishley's major signings.......£22 million..... well worth the money....... And Solano was a million times the freebie that the likes of Behrami, Lopez, Ilunga etc are.

Even if you say that Faubert and davenport are no good (which flies in the face of this forum's player poll in August) - its still 50% well spent....which matches most managers in the league, or that we have had.

It is precisely because we support West Ham that I certainly hate to see the shower of sh*t that are now in charge drag the club into the mire, while those who have indulged in constant one-eyed criticism seem willing to accept such second rate leadership just because it aint Curbs....
It's always good to get things off your chest isn't it ?
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

AlfieG wrote:Its not about money, its about principle
I agree with Chalks to a great extent and if he could resolve this without hitting us financially I would back him, however, in the current climate I'm not happy he is going for the cash.

(And yes if my employers did to me what Ham allegedly did to Droopy then I would go for the money..............but then again I am not a millionaire)
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

I think he's been treated badly and has every right to sue. This is completely different to the other vultures circling the ground, and if any other employee had been treated similar in any other walk of life I'd back them to the hilt too. What he has or hasn't got in his bank account has nothing to do with it, and neither does whats in BG's bank account.

I wouldn't be angry that he'd sue, but I'm bloody livid that the powers that be have put him into that position.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Kicking us when we're down?
Why we are down? Because of the boards total incompetence in the first place!

I hope Curbs does win......he walked out becuase of players being sold and replaced with loanees and freebies against his wishes (Lopez springs to mind, a player he rejected as he wasn't good enough suddenly reappearing). Personally I think he's in the right.

Just becuase he has money in the bank and we don't, doesn't he mean he shouldn't get what he is possibly entitled to.
Trap1
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Trap1 »

chalks wrote: If it was me, and i was sitting back, a self made millionaire without a money care in the world for the rest of my life, and i was watching 'the club i have loved ever since i was a kid, i grew up within throwing distance' in mounting financial trouble, with the threat of being sued by so many people its disturbing, then no i wouldnt.

I genuinely think the man is a c*** if he does.
Curbishley has been encouraged by the LMA in his action because of the gross misconduct of our board. Our directors need to appreciate that you have to act in good faith or these occurences will happen. The notion that Curbishley shouldn't sue because he has money and is a West Ham fan is laughable to the extreme.
We don't need to be in financial trouble Chalks, it just that BG is hanging on to his asset while refusing to invest a penny. I have no sympathy for them, they encourage trouble and need to go asap.

The real **** is BG
BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

Agree with Trap1 100%.
smuts

Post by smuts »

JackieB wrote:Agree with Trap1 100%.
Me too.

BG's mob are incapable of doing anything right.....I just want him and his inept team of muppets out.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

libero wrote:Before signing up for KUMB I was warned by friends that it was a fanatically pro Curbishley site. I never imagined to what extent this was the case. I wonder, now that Curbishley is no longer at the club, if KUMB can move forward and accept the future instead of dwelling in the past. Because the future is what we've got now, not the past.
You've written some right old cobblers on here since you first graced us with your presence - but I think you've just topped the lot. Congratulations :)

On the point in hand - Curbishley was given a three year contract and due to circumstances beyond his control, his position was rendered untenable. I suggest his stand has rather more to do with principle than readies.
DeadJoshWalkin

Post by DeadJoshWalkin »

Voted yes but that's only based on what Curbs has said. If Linda & Anton were sold without his agreement then he clearly has a case.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

A person who has left us with a very average squad
A team with a fully fit spine of Green-Upson-Parker-Ashton - the one the new management inherited - has a spine of current/recent England internationals .... so that is far from average I would suggest....

That we have a poor team currently has been caused directly by the transfer dealings in the summer and the recent upsurge in injuries. Last night's team would go close to taking us down.
I thought we supported the club, not the ex-manager
If you stopped rattling on about him in every single post then this conversation wouldn't continually resurface. Every time this debate has re-opened recently it's been following one of your one-eyed posts about Dyer etc etc.
Hamstrung by a ridiculously unbalanced squad, we did quite well. Those who deny this self evident fact are missing the point
Unbalanced squad :lol: It was only 4-6 weeks ago that you were telling us all that Nani had miraculously sorted it all out.

The problem has been the dilution of quality followed by the recent upsurge in injuries/unfit players - Noble, Tristan, Behrami, Neill, Spector, Ashton, Gabbidon, Dyer, Parker
I wonder how long the 'Curbs is god' brigade will continue to criticise the current management at the club. Isn't it time to move on? Curbishley is not going to be reinstated, so shouldn't we be supporting the new management team?
The current board deserve slaughtering for their mismanagement of the club.

Zola has been reasonably well supported by one and all (can you say the same for Curbishley?)

The level of support for any manager however is usually based on achievements. Zola is now W 2 D 0 L 6.

If you support the club surely such an abysmal run of results is a matter of some concern?

As others have pointed out, the main instigator of conversations about Curbishley is you....
Zola and Clarke are the future - let's try to get behind them. Those who prefer to support the ex manager over the current management team are missing the point, surely. With a positive attitude we'll move on. Being obsessive with the ex manager will only drag us down.
People want what is best for the club. Even those who were reasonably happy with Curbs's management accept that he is not coming back and back Zola, or whoever the new manager would have been.

The only person who is obsessed with the ex-manager is you.

However, cliches like "with a positive attitude, we'll move on" serve no purpose.

We'll move on with intelligent organisation, effective deployment of players, tactical acumen, a progressive transfer policy......not some phrase off a Chinese after dinner biscuit....
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

Bubbles 1966

The title of this thread has the ex manager's name in it. I don't think that my mentioning him in this context is being obsessive. He apparently wants to sue the club - that's what this thread is about. It would be difficult to comment on the thread without mentioning him. I didn't start the thread and I am not in favour of him sueing the club

I actually agree with your last sentence - despite your rather unkind (and untrue!) reference to my thoughts having come from Chinese after dinner biscuit.... However I do feel that people seem unwilling to give Zola the same margin of settling in as our previous manager whose opening run of results was far worse than Zola's
smuts

Post by smuts »

Libero - Under Pards, we had become a mess.....therefore Curbs was given time to turn it round.

People are concerned as we were doing well under Curbs and in a good position....now we have lost 5 games already under Zola whilst playing some crazy 4-3-3 formation that anyone can see does not have the players to pull it off.
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

I was very much against the way Curbs was pushed out at the time because i thought he had done a fantastic job with the team when you looked at the position we were in when he took over.

He done a good job for us and I think the board were wrong to do do things the way they did BUT and its a big but. If Curbs is going to now try and put our club in further fiancial hardship then he can do one. Im not bothered if the club were in the wrong, Curbs decided to resign and as far as im concerned im west ham before anything else so anyone that brings any sort of negativity towards the team is not west ham. For that reason i voted no.

It may be that he's doing this for reasons other than money but regardless of that its yet another thing that will keep west ham in the papers and not focusing on football. I wish everyone would just f*** off and leave us alone to get on with things. That includes our current board as well who have brought about most of the **** thats going on at the moment.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

By the way, do we actually know for sure if this story is true?
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

In lieu of a million, can we just give him the rights to Hayden Mullins?
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Funny how he never thought about suing when players were being brought IN without his say so.

GOod riddance.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

carnage wrote:Funny how he never thought about suing when players were being brought IN without his say so.

GOod riddance.
Like Lopez? Or DDM?
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Fionn Kiely wrote:Funny how he never thought about suing when players were being brought IN without his say so.

GOod riddance.
Like Lopez? Or DDM?[/quote]

Hadnt he gone by that point? Hence their delay in signing..

I am thinking more about Faubert and Ljungberg.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

libero wrote:The title of this thread has the ex manager's name in it. I don't think that my mentioning him in this context is being obsessive. He apparently wants to sue the club - that's what this thread is about.
If we could stick to that then rather than slagging off the entire rest of the forum users as fanatically pro Curbishley who consider him some kind of God (I can't even begin to describe how wrong that is) then you might get somewhere.

In contrast to Sheffield United who hung themselves and are now trying to make us pay for their relegation, their players who are doing the same, Terry Brown who lost his perks because he set up the Tevez deal and anyone else who's been waving a lawsuit in the club's direction Curbishley has, according to his story which I've yet to see denied by any official of West Ham, been wronged by the club.

If he didn't have clauses in his contract giving him final say over player transfers then he'll be laughed out of court. If he did have and the club sold any player without his assent then he has a case. That's it. The only question is should he? I'd rather he didn't in terms of the money, in fact I think most would, but I respect his right to.

The idea he should walk away from people he thinks have ****ed him over because of club loyalty when the people in question view the club as nothing more than a business and basically interchangeable with any other club, in fact people that would prefer to be associated with any club that makes more money, is ridiculous.
Last edited by QuintonNimoy on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.