Curbs to sue (poll added)

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Is Alan Curbishley right to sue WHUFC for constructive dismissal?

Yes
56%
No
37%
Unsure
7%

Total votes: 277

chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 1633 likes

Re: Curbs to sue (poll added)

Post by chalks »

Trap1 wrote:
So if you were effectively forced out of your job by an employer who breached your contract on more than one occasion, would you not sue?
If it was me, and i was sitting back, a self made millionaire without a money care in the world for the rest of my life, and i was watching 'the club i have loved ever since i was a kid, i grew up within throwing distance' in mounting financial trouble, with the threat of being sued by so many people its disturbing, then no i wouldnt.

I genuinely think the man is a **** if he does.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

It's interesting, surprising, bemusing, depressing, revealing. So much support for a person no longer employed by the club, a person who earned a couple of million pound in 20 months at our club. A person who has left us with a very average squad. So voiceferously supported by the influential members on this forum.

I thought we supported the club, not the ex-manager

I thought we did OK tonight. On a hiding to nothing, I thought we showed some decent football in the second half and we saw some quality future players for our club. Hamstrung by a ridiculously unbalanced squad, we did quite well. Those who deny this self evident fact are missing the point

I wonder how long the 'Curbs is god' brigade will continue to criticise the current management at the club. Isn't it time to move on? Curbishley is not going to be reinstated, so shouldn't we be supporting the new management team?

Before signing up for KUMB I was warned by friends that it was a fanatically pro Curbishley site. I never imagined to what extent this was the case. I wonder, now that Curbishley is no longer at the club, if KUMB can move forward and accept the future instead of dwelling in the past. Because the future is what we've got now, not the past.

Zola and Clarke are the future - let's try to get behind them. Those who prefer to support the ex manager over the current management team are missing the point, surely. With a positive attitude we'll move on. Being obsessive with the ex manager will only drag us down.

:crest:
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

libero wrote:It's interesting, surprising, bemusing, depressing, revealing. So much support for a person no longer employed by the club, a person who earned a couple of million pound in 20 months at our club. A person who has left us with a very average squad. So voiceferously supported by the influential members on this forum.

I thought we supported the club, not the ex-manager

I thought we did OK tonight. On a hiding to nothing, I thought we showed some decent football in the second half and we saw some quality future players for our club. Hamstrung by a ridiculously unbalanced squad, we did quite well. Those who deny this self evident fact are missing the point

I wonder how long the 'Curbs is god' brigade will continue to criticise the current management at the club. Isn't it time to move on? Curbishley is not going to be reinstated, so shouldn't we be supporting the new management team?

Before signing up for KUMB I was warned by friends that it was a fanatically pro Curbishley site. I never imagined to what extent this was the case. I wonder, now that Curbishley is no longer at the club, if KUMB can move forward and accept the future instead of dwelling in the past. Because the future is what we've got now, not the past.

Zola and Clarke are the future - let's try to get behind them. Those who prefer to support the ex manager over the current management team are missing the point, surely. With a positive attitude we'll move on. Being obsessive with the ex manager will only drag us down.

:crest:

:lol: All I ever seemed to read on here was people slagging him off
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1188 likes
Total likes: 930 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

So this so called 'West Ham man' is sticking the boot in while we are down. He can f*** right off the ****.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

IRON4EVA wrote:As much as i feel for Curbs with the circumstances of his resignation, you can't resign and then expect compensation, if you did this within any other business you'd just be laughed away.
Constructive dismissal is far from unheard of in plenty of other businesses and often results in plaintiffs winning large settlements.

As for Curbs I'd hope to see the law of the land correctly applied and nothing more. I guess considering our financial difficulties I'd rather he didn't, but if he succeeds then that will be justification enough - it will show he's in the right. He'll also just be one more added to the list which is something I'm getting sick of.
Scrambled Egg
Complete tit

Post by Scrambled Egg »

Vermin! No other word for him, just absolute VERMIN and FILTH!

This is HIS club and he's basically pissed in the club's face!

How dare he?! :thdn: :x
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Scrambled Egg wrote:
This is HIS club and he's basically pissed in the club's face!

So if the Club that you had supported as a boy had pissed in YOUR face, made your position at bthe club untennable, and you had been forced out of the club, you would just walk away without a care in the world.

Righto...
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Hammer Laffers wrote:
So if the Club that you had supported as a boy had pissed in YOUR face, made your position at bthe club untennable, and you had been forced out of the club, you would just walk away without a care in the world.

Righto...
But like Chalks said, the bloke's not exactly been hurt financially. Humiliated and betrayed, yes, but he's got many media outlets where he can make his feelings heard. He is not skint and his career isn't over even though he can probly retire comfortably.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Hammer Laffers wrote:

:lol: All I ever seemed to read on here was people slagging him off
And you most certainly weren't hearing wrong. Funny how selective people's memories can be.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

vietnammer wrote:
But like Chalks said, the bloke's not exactly been hurt financially. Humiliated and betrayed, yes, but he's got many media outlets where he can make his feelings heard. He is not skint and his career isn't over even though he can probly retire comfortably.
As some on here might know I was a Curbs supporter through his whole reign and I stand by my original belief that we're really going to regret leaving him go. However my estimation of the man will diminish slightly if he is in fact thinking of suing the club. He may well have a case but I certainly don't think he should do it.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

For me, he's more West Ham than the current incarnation of the football club, so I'm not too fussed. I'd prefer it if he took Gudmundsson to court personally, but the money's going to come from the same place anyway if he wins, so it would only be a tokenistic thing.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Ben »

bubbles1966 wrote: This constant drivel about LBM (5 million) Dyer (4 million) Quashie (1.5 million), Ljungberg (£300k), Kepa (loan) and Camara (loan) etc does my brain in.....

Upson - Parker - Bellamy - Neill - Curbishley's major signings.......£22 million..... well worth the money....... And Solano was a million times the freebie that the likes of Behrami, Lopez, Ilunga etc are.

Even if you say that Faubert and davenport are no good (which flies in the face of this forum's player poll in August) - its still 50% well spent....which matches most managers in the league, or that we have had.
dyer was £7m, ljungberg cost us over £10m in total, both signing and getting shot of.
agree with the decent signings you mention though.

solano was a great signing but no way a million times the freebie behrami & ilunga were/are (if they were/are free) we will get more than a year out of them)
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

libero wrote: I thought we did OK tonight. On a hiding to nothing, I thought we showed some decent football in the second half and we saw some quality future players for our club. Hamstrung by a ridiculously unbalanced squad, we did quite well. Those who deny this self evident fact are missing the point
We were awful tonight absolutely awful, Manure took it easy and if they'd really got going could have run up a record score.
Supporting the current management team doesn't mean that we have to slag off the previous manager who did an excellent job. I don't actually remember you giving much support to the previous management team however unlike you with Curbs I hope Zola does well, if he does as well as Curbs he will be doing a good job.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

IRON4EVA wrote:As much as i feel for Curbs with the circumstances of his resignation, you can't resign and then expect compensation, if you did this within any other business you'd just be laughed away.
Er no he had a contract of employment. If the employer breaks their conditions of employment effectively forcing you to resign then you have a strong case for constructive dismissal, the board's actions made Curbs' position untenable. This applies to any business not just football.
beckton

Post by beckton »

libero wrote:
But it's you that's obsessed and bang on about Curbishley all the time.

Very few people are having ago at Zola but at the board so your argument is being a bit dishonest.

Zola has inherited a poor squad not because of Curbishley but because of the board selling off players and not replacing them with players that are better or at the very least as good.

I dont blame Curbishley for sueing but i'd prefer him not to but then again that loyal West Ham fan Terence Brown who walked away with 30 million and left us Tevezgate was going to sue us for 7 million for losing his perks!

davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1309 likes

Post by davids cross »

Do it and do it big Curbs.
bumpkinhammer

Post by bumpkinhammer »

Why does Curbs think that a ' Football Contract ' is worth the paper its written on.
I dont think there is a ' contract ' in the whole game of Football that is worth a toss. They seem to be broken regularly by Managers, Players and Boards everywhere.
This is a bigger joke than Brandgate.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

If true, I bet he is doing it with a very heavy heart.

Its not about money, its about principle. :twisted:

The new owners at OUR club are a bunch of snidey backstabbing ****ers who went behind his back and forced him to resign IMVHO.

He is/was more of a Hammer than any of these Icelandics are.

Good luck to him. :thup:
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

chalks wrote: If it was me, and i was sitting back, a self made millionaire without a money care in the world for the rest of my life, and i was watching 'the club i have loved ever since i was a kid, i grew up within throwing distance' in mounting financial trouble, with the threat of being sued by so many people its disturbing, then no i wouldnt.

I genuinely think the man is a c*** if he does.
Spot on.