Winston Reid

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: chalks, the pink palermo, -DL-, Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc

sutts07

Re: Winston Reid

Post by sutts07 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:37 pm

hammerman11 wrote:any idea when he is back ?????????????
If only there was a thread about him on here that would allow people to post updates on what they have heard...

To save you scrolling back a page, some are suggesting he may never play for us again.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Aceface wrote:
Dude is a legend. Obviously not in the Bonzo/Trev meaning of the word but in being woven into the modern history of the club – which doesn’t preclude being up and down in terms of performance. There’s probably only Noble and Parker ahead of him in terms of who could make similar claims over the past decade, maybe even decade and a half if you're feeling generous.

If anyone else, let alone a defender, ever utterly owns the Manchester clubs over a two year period on their home turf, or belts in a winner against Millwall, or is an ever-present in a promotion campaign, keeps a clean sheet for a victory at Anfield, scores in a 3-0 win at WHL, wins a play-off final, scores an injury time winner from outside the box against Sunderland when the club is in the relegation zone, let alone sees off the Boleyn, then they’ll be doing well in terms of being stitched into the latter-day story of the club. Or at very least deserve a better epitaph than 'went missing a bit.'
His performance in the 2-1 win at Manchester City was spectacular

I didn't agree with Romford on much when he was a regular round here, but very high appreciation for Winston was one of them

Ding

Post by Ding » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:40 pm

Don’t know what the problem is, to be frank.

The club gave a professional, reliable and loyal servant a contract extension until he is 34-5 years old, effectively granting him a chance to end his playing career with the club. Now, you don’t see the club offering this to anyone, just a few who perhaps have earned it.

The servant is of course Mark Noble. Few would argue that Mark deserves that extension and opportunity to end his career at the club. He has never been the best footballer of his time but he has certainly been one of the best servants to our club. He deserves it.

Question: why then are folks griping about the same opportunity having been given to a different loyal, professional servant? No one knew Winston would be critically injured so soon after the extension at that time. And even if rumours are correct that he will not play another game for us due to injury, I hope the remainder of his contractual wages will see him financially secure for the rest of his life. The boy has done good in a turbulent period in our history and I don’t have a problem with not counting every penny with him. There are and has been many others whose honesty I would challenge but not Mark or Winston.

Hope to see u back, Mr Reid.

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Reid has often had a questionable injury record that dates back a lot further than just recently. He's close to being up there with Carroll in the sick note stakes. Hence why it was baffling to offer a 6 year deal knowing this.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:58 pm

He had an injury record more akin to Arnautovic – frequent niggles leading to short absences – rather than anything like Carroll's propensity to get major concerns that ruled him out for half seasons.

His appearance record was fine – 30+ appearances in 3 of his last 4 seasons.

Crouchend_Hammer

Post by Crouchend_Hammer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:05 pm

Aceface wrote:He had an injury record more akin to Arnautovic – frequent niggles leading to short absences – rather than anything like Carroll's propensity to get major concerns that ruled him out for half seasons.

His appearance record was fine – 30+ appearances in 3 of his last 4 seasons.
He was also rushed back far too quickly at times, because he was so integral

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Post by Colours never run » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:10 pm

Yeah, Carroll was the wrong example. The point being is he's suffered a lot with injuries in the past and it's got to the point now where they've finally caught up with him. He's had to nurse through a lot. Love to see him back near his best, but I do have my doubts now sadly.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:28 pm

good point crouchend, I think he played on one leg sometimes, we were so desperate to play him.

goa127

Post by goa127 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:32 pm

just read your post aceface. Says it all really

Jumby

Post by Jumby » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:52 pm

One of my favourite Hammers of all time, when he was at his peak he was as good as any top flight defender of his generation, nobody was as good at imposing themselves on an opponent as Winston, the only defender I've ever seen absolutely dominate Harry Kane on more than one occasion

The Old Man of Storr

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:59 pm

Ding wrote:Don’t know what the problem is, to be frank.

The club gave a professional, reliable and loyal servant a contract extension until he is 34-5 years old, effectively granting him a chance to end his playing career with the club. Now, you don’t see the club offering this to anyone, just a few who perhaps have earned it.

The servant is of course Mark Noble. Few would argue that Mark deserves that extension and opportunity to end his career at the club. He has never been the best footballer of his time but he has certainly been one of the best servants to our club. He deserves it.

Question: why then are folks griping about the same opportunity having been given to a different loyal, professional servant? No one knew Winston would be critically injured so soon after the extension at that time. And even if rumours are correct that he will not play another game for us due to injury, I hope the remainder of his contractual wages will see him financially secure for the rest of his life. The boy has done good in a turbulent period in our history and I don’t have a problem with not counting every penny with him. There are and has been many others whose honesty I would challenge but not Mark or Winston.

Hope to see u back, Mr Reid.

Very Well Said , Ding . :thup:

e17

Post by e17 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:09 am

Aceface wrote:If anyone else, let alone a defender, ever utterly owns the Manchester clubs over a two year period on their home turf, or belts in a winner against Millwall, or is an ever-present in a promotion campaign, keeps a clean sheet for a victory at Anfield, scores in a 3-0 win at WHL, wins a play-off final, scores an injury time winner from outside the box against Sunderland when the club is in the relegation zone, let alone sees off the Boleyn, then they’ll be doing well in terms of being stitched into the latter-day story of the club. Or at very least deserve a better epitaph than 'went missing a bit.'
:thup: Aceface

Wonderful

Doc H Ball

Post by Doc H Ball » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:22 am

Yeah well said Ding and Aceface.

I still remember when Upson hung him out to dry. From there he developed into our best defender for the past decade.

e17

Post by e17 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:25 am

Doc H Ball wrote:Yeah well said Ding and Aceface.

I still remember when Upson hung him out to dry. From there he developed into our best defender for the past decade.
He was good at that (Upson) - I thought he’d finished Tomkins off after the Wolves game....

It’s often taken for granted how much Nobes’ has always done to encourage those who have debuted after he became captain, but probably also how much the likes of Ginge & Reid contributed over the years

Kialos

Post by Kialos » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:54 am

Got a lot of time for Reid. After Noble second longest club servant. Hope he can make a full recovery.

westham,eggyandchips

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:16 am

Kialos wrote:Hope he can make a full recovery.
I think we all do...... I'm just not sure what from exactly. :?

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:25 am

Has he been pictured in or around the squad, at the training ground or the stadium? feels like he's disappeared.

As far as I can tell, this was the last story that mentioned him on the official website, Friday 09 Mar 2018

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... k-training

Marky

Post by Marky » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:52 am

S-H wrote:Has he been pictured in or around the squad, at the training ground or the stadium? feels like he's disappeared.

As far as I can tell, this was the last story that mentioned him on the official website, Friday 09 Mar 2018

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... k-training

It’s so strange. The interest on this thread since my post indicates on a human level we (fans) care. Club should tell us something

S-H

Post by S-H » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:08 am

Very strange, Marky.

bengaliron

Post by bengaliron » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:30 am

I found this from september 2018....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/ ... ee-surgery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;